The insects, arachnids and myriapods pictures thread

Lol, weirdly enough I just watched Raiders with my kids last weekend and during the opening scene when he has the hapless guide turn around I was like “Those are all Mexican red-knees! You wouldn’t find those wild in South America.”

Spiders are fascinating, part 342.

Jumping spiders are amazing, and I would definitely keep them as pets if they weren’t so sad. They only live about a year or two if you are lucky. (Same reason I don’t keep Rats, even though they are just super great pets), I just don’t want to have a pet that dies that often.

Luckily, I have loads of jumping spiders that live on my walls on the outside of my house, and I get to catch them and handle them all the time anyway.

The bugs I do keep are ants. Those queens live like 10+ years, the individuals die, but the queens stick around a while and the whole colony is like the pet.

Go with tarantulas! They’re awesome and can live 30+ years :)

Unfortunately… My wife has a strict no spider pets clause, doubly so for Tarantulas.

Plus, I got enough ant colonies to keep up with at the moment.

I do think they are really cool, and always check them out at the reptile store though.

There’s been Luna Moths posted in this thread before but I couldn’t resist adding another. This one could be near the end as it’s unusual to see one during the day I think. Also seems to have some wear on the wings. Gorgeous animal though.

I love these things. Luna Moths are so cool, so ethereal almost.

Obligated to post one I photographed a few years ago.

And mine!

You don’t fool me: I know when I am looking at a Great Elder’s face.

Hmm, Cthulhu, is that you? Did you pick up the quart of milk I asked for?

Grapevine Beetle

Isabella Tiger Moth

Picture of the setup.

Blacklighting for ants, saw some cool critters. Tons of male ant drones, but no queens.

Can you tell me what the black light does, does it attract specific insects?

Reminds me of the seventies, buying a cheap black light bulb from Spencer’s in the mall and grooving on fluorescent posters and paints in the bathroom (the only place I could seal up enough to get true darkness to use the light).

The blacklight just acts like your house lights, where bugs are tricked into flying near it, because of the confusion around the moon etc. It is just more effective, due to the spectrum of light being almost completely UV-A, rather than mostly visible light, like your house lights.

Blacklights also don’t really attract mosquitos super well, because they don’t really use UV light to navigate. You will find them on there, but it is much better to attract beetles, moths, and in my hopes, Ant drones and queens.

Unfortunately for 2 hours last night, had about 20-30 ant drones show up, but saw 0 queens. I will probably try again tonight. They swarm, so most colonies will send up their alates (reproductive caste) all at the same time, so you will see tons on one night and less on another. This is hypothesized to be part pheremone, part temp/humidity gradient.

Typically for Camponotus pennsylvanicus (Black Carpenter Ant), they fly around sunset to midnight, and are generally a nocturnal species. (You will see them during the day, but they are more active at night). All of the C. penn queens I have ever caught have been in the afternoon, just walking around, likely mated from the night before.

The tattoo artist who works with me told me that there are various inks now, some of which are invisible in normal light, that glow under black lights. While it’s not something of interest to me, I guess people who go to clubs with black lights might like it.

This guy was walking along the ground, haven’t gotten a species yet

That huge white beetle from my photos above is a Grapevine beetle, and that moth is an Isabella Tiger Moth (wooly bear caterpillar). They are HUGE, and super pretty, with an almost pink underwing, that really glowed under the blacklight.

Here are 3 C. penn drones near the front of my house. You can tell the males from females apart, because the male drones have tiny heads, and tiny gasters (butts). Plus the ant queens are seriously like an inch long for carpenter ants. They are big girls, about the size of that ground beetle, which I mistook for a queen from a distance.

And finally, a nice isopod (pillbug) party near my drainspout.

The eGo power inverter I bought during our recent 3 day blackout was clutch, making it much easier to just run the blacklight portably, rather than run an extension cord from the house.

We have some Giant Resin Bees making nests in our bee hotel. They are a type of leaf cutter bee. We can see where they’ve cut out circular sections from our redbud tree’s leaves.

Awesome!!

I almost bought a bunch of mason/leafcutter bee housing this spring, but decided not to. That will be a project for next summer.