The insects, arachnids and myriapods pictures thread

Hehe, my girlfriend says this when my holiday snaps feature almost no photos of people! I like photographing plants and flowers too :-)

Those cute little guys are the redeemers of the arachnid species :)

I feel like I need to glue googly eyes to this thing, but honestly it looks like you beat me to the punch and adhered two small blueberries.

Taken with my iPhone while outside for lunch break.

Great pic! Is that a cicada?

Yup, though a slightly different shade than the ones by me. They are more brown with green trim, so to speak.

They’re usually bright green when they come out of their shells but by the time their wings/exoskeleton dry, they turn dark green or black. I collect the shells, too, because my daughters like to play with them.

Today’s haul:

Those are the annual cicadas - the ones that come out every year in August. The 13-year periodical cicadas emerge as soon as the ground warms up enough (late-May or June).

Wow, that is one of my dreams to catch one at that precise moment. Wonderful picture, you can tell she is still soft.

Woah, that’s a beauty, @Timex!

Is that a skipper?

It’s a candy striped leaf hopper.

They are considered as Cicadae’s little cousins here (Not only here, I guess, hence the name “Cicadella”). None of the ones I have seen come close to that gorgeous little candy of Timex.

Here is a common looking (and overexposed) one:

And here is closely related but bland looking Aphrophora. Love its eyes, though.

Today’s jumping spider:

Pretty sure I’ve already seen it in a Battletech game at some point.

That was just a drop of pure happyness.

Fly on Leaf

Fifth Instar Nymph of Green Stink Bug

Honey Bee with Pollen Basket

Dragonfly on Twig

Closeup of Dragonfly on Twig

They’re excellent pics @Penny_Dreadful. Love the detail on that dragonfly.

Thanks!