The insects, arachnids and myriapods pictures thread

That hornet is a monster!! I showed it to my daughters and the first question was, “Why would someone hold a hornet?!!?” I couldn’t agree more.

If I hadn’t watched those documentaries I would think those photos Left_Empty posted were fake.

Even more terrifying, the bee’s only defense mechanism is to swarm a wasp and kill it with their body heat.

Yeah! It’s incredible and nightmarish stuff.

Photographed this little fellow in France last summer. Figured he was dead (he sat in the same spot for over 24 hours) but apparently that was not the case as my daughter saw him fly off later…

Also loads of these dragonflies around, some of which were eating each other. Quite weird to see one disappear, kind of like the larger one was eating spaghetti…

Ah, interesting. I saw some butterflies/moths doing that in Australia and thought they were dead too. I guess not!

I remember we had a moth in our appartment in Paris that stayed for multiple days in the same spot. We really thought it was dead, and then, it went off one night. We have so much to learn about energy-saving from insects - it reminds me of the first chapters and experiences of Fabre, regarding paralysis, in his souvenirs.

On my front, I have isolated the probable place whence the giant hornets of death are coming: a small park close to home which acts as a natural reserve (you can’t enter freely, and it is open only a few hours a day) right in the center of Tokyo.
The people there stay true to their purpose: they don’t neutralize the beasts’ nests. The entrance is plastered with a variety of warnings and conducts to assume when confronted with the angry stinging denizens of the park (probably inspired by Douglas Adams: “slowly turn around and walk back. don’t panic!”).
Well, I guess this rules out eating ice creams on the veranda on summer afternoons!

Edit: oops, a picture:

A local curiosity: the wingless Cricket.
I was so proud to spot this one - I have a really hard time of spotting crickets, overall; they have to stand right in the middle of the street for me to take notice!

Wow, well spotted! Hard enough catching that thing in the picture!

Tiny wolf spider on a hakea seed pod.

It’s wonderful how you caught her before and after she camouflages her legs.

Here is yet another Andersonian jumping spider, boucing around my kitchen.

My new place is crawling with funny spiders. They bring much life.

I love how the legs are brought up to conceal the shiny and more conspicuous parts. Amazing.

A pretty little iridescent beetle

Such lovely markings on the head and legs!

This guy jumped on my arm as I got into my car. He was moving quickly so I had to scramble to get even this mediocre shot with one hand while I maneuvered and tried to keep him visible on my other arm as he didn’t want to slow down for me.

Great shot for a fast moving fella!

41 years and counting, and finally, I meet my first Mantis, proper

“What’s the matter?”

She had to be standing right at my eyes level, on a rail, for me to barely notice her. I am so bad at spotting.
A bit sad this happened in one of the most polluted places on Earth on a rainy day.

Finally.

I’m trying to decide if preying mantises or jumping spiders are the “golden retrievers” of bugs. I’m going jumping spiders, due to cuteness. But mantises are just cool. Maybe ladybugs?

How about honeybees? Ubiquitous. Cute and fuzzy. Serves a useful purpose. Generally only attack if provoked. They even spend most of their time retrieving stuff that is golden.

I saw this little “cricket”, I think, outside my house earlier.