The Intellivision is returning, and it has a new boss

Well, it’s a lot easier to own a cornhole set than to own a bowling alley.

I get the analogy, but I think that (both in general and specifically with cornhole/Wii Bowling), they’re hoping lightning will strike twice in a way that it rarely does.

I will say that my kids enjoy playing the Wii sports/Wii Play/Wii party games more than the traditional Zelda/Mario/Metroid games on our Wii. It’s not the sort of machine that they would play all day, but I could totally see them playing these types of games and having fun.

I was an Intellivision kid, trying to extol its virtues over the Atari, which were many, but at the end of the day I wound up playing Atari at a friend’s house more often than not. I’d be 100% down for a $40 thingy that replicated some of the old Intellivision games like Sea Battle and whatnot with two player or more multiplayer, that would be kinda cool, but my nostalgia doesn’t run so deep that I forget it was a gen 1.2 console with an extra 12 squares to each character.

I had a good buddy in junior high that had an Intellivision and we had a blast with it! That was like 1982 though.

I must admit I originally thought that $270 or so price included all of those listed games, and was thinking even that was a bit of a stretch. If that is just the system price and you still have to buy the games… man that will be a tough sell, I think.

I lusted after an Intellivision when I was like 16, but I was never going to get my parents to go for that. I played it a fair bit at a friend’s house.

But I don’t think I could go back to pre-1990 videogames. I loved the Ultima games as much as anyone back in the day, but I don’t want to play them now. Same for most of the arcade games I obsessed over.

Ultima 5+ is still playable. I think this will do worse than the Ouya even. Infinium’s Phantom doesn’t count as a failed console since it was a scam.

I’m very old (I bought pong at Sears), and for me this has zero appeal. The reason being, Intellivision always struck me as hobbyist, i.e. I really felt like I could see the guy sitting in his garage coding these games. They were just unprofessional, for lack of a better descriptor. Intellivision, was much more about the promise of the future, than it was the greatness of the present.

If it was possible to short the future of this thing, I’d certainly be all in.

You could make an argument that George Plimpton threw the first grenade in the first console war.

… an unlikelier person for the role is hard to fathom.

Super Pro Football was the bomb, back in the day.

So was Plimpton, despite his super-upper-crust accent he did that sort of thing more than once.

It’s a $100 2016 android phone for guts:

I can respect wanting to earn lots of money on the hardware, since that’s what Apple does. But not if pricing it so high will make it so the product is a failure in the first place.

Their take is 50% from devs so there goes any incentive to develop for this. Plus the 10 commandments of design of games for their platform is an unfunny, unnecessarily restrictive joke.

Its audience is a mythical dozen people who want Nintendo games…but not from Nintendo?

The Allard thing is even shadier.

Yeah, I was an Intellivision kid and I might pay 20 bucks for a set-top box or an emulator and a controller just for nostalgia, but I’m not at all that stoked to play the games. Intellivision had a handful more pixels than Atari and some pretty cool multiplayer games considering the controller’s ability to do over a dozen things (Sea Battle comes to mind) but their day has long passed.

It’s also intriguing that something can be both confidential and misinformed. Company seems in good hands!

Where’s the obligatory Jeff Minter game?

Reading this thread makes me want to take my intellivision out and play some games ( Intellivision Super Pro System with Intellivoice, a circa 1990s 20" TV, and a crate of about 80 games)

You might as well. This thing smells like vaporware.

I could play too, if I unearthed my old Gamecube and bought Intellivision Lives! for $10 off ebay. 60 games for a tenner, Tallarico. Beat that.