The Invincible, from former CD Projekt devs, based on a book by Stanislaw Lem

I posted about this a while back in the indie game thread, but I think as we get closer to release it probably earned its own thread. There’s a new trailer out for the game, and it’s looking really great.

Looks interesting. Now I’m tempted to go looking for the book to find out what’s going on.

Holding out for a Solaris game.

It’s interesting (to me, at least!) how not hardboiled my own sci fi imagination is, when i compare to what others’ hold.

While I was too young to know pre Aliens/Predator sci-fi as a kid, the influence of the cover art of books, even just browsing editor’s catalogues in the early 80s, art which still preserved the earlier 50s-60s style, must have been a huge influence.

Very slightly more detail. I hope the great style is backed up by everything else.

Looks like a good time. Firewatch on Mars is fine with me.

Friend of mine recently finished reading the book this game is based on and was so thrilled with it, he convinced me to read it too. Apparently the game takes place before the book, so the two should complement each other nicely. Though I wonder if I should read the book first, or play the game first, since it is a prequel.
Anyway, new trailer

I’d be into this for its amazing pulp sci-fi artwork if nothing else, but fortunately it seems to offer much more than just that. I haven’t read the book either, but I may have to somewhere down the road.

I like the look of this, I guess its time to get the audio book. :)

I’d doubt the game is related to the story of the book, beyond the setting of the ship and its technology.

You should read Lem.

Do you happen to know anything about the style of the art? Like, a name or who draws like it? I, like you, LOVE it! I think it reminds me a bit about Mobius’ comics, but not quite , and I’d really like to see more of it! I

Below: A Mobieus drawing

A tool I use to discover artists (visual, musical, literary) is Gnod. I punched in Mobius, Roger Dean and Chris Foss into the art section and got a slew of suggestions (you’ll have to do image searches to get pics). Be warned: it’s very addictive but it makes you realise just how many amazing artists are out there!

I got Syd Mead, Richard Harris, Robert Mccall, David Hardy… it’s endless and so good! :)

I don’t know if there’s an official name for this kind of art, it just puts me in mind of the kind of stuff that used to be on sci-fi books and magazines from the 40s and 50s, kind of like these:

If you’re into solo boardgames, there’s a really cool one I’ve played a few times called Pulp Invasion that’s just packed with this kind of artwork:

Oh, I LOVE that art-style of the scifi 50’! Its so damn evocative. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thats a great tool! I’ll have to dig into it and see what I can find. Thanks for reminding me of Chriss Foss - he also makes excellent science fiction art - thats probably more 70’s - 80 I’d think?

I’m not sure but that sounds about right!

Saw this is getting a Steam demo on the May the 4th. I think anyway, not 100% clear.

Maybe Retrofuturism?

Demo ahoy.

It’s so ponderous I didn’t last more than a few minutes. It also gave me motion sickness :)

Not for me.