The IT Crowd

Preemptively cancelled.

I consider “The Big Bang Theory” a vastly superior nerd/geek comedy in every relevant aspect. I find it more funny, and I like that the laughing at the nerds is balanced with lots of laughing with the nerds. On top of everything the physics on the whiteboards is sound.
It’s just me?

This show is good, but there’s far too few episodes per season… they need to step it up and double the production.

Maybe those of you who aren’t feeling it should give it a couple of years to gestate.

When the show first aired I can remember being very excited as Father Ted and Black Books were two of my favourites. Similar to what some people have already mentioned it initially felt very old fashioned and the canned laughter was really jarring after it’s absence from shows like the Office.

As such I didn’t bother with the rest of the series even after reading an interview with Linehan where he says it’s intentionally old fashioned as kind of a reaction to series like the Office “Whatever grandad, live in the now!” I thought as i wandered on to pastures new.

More recently i had the show recommended to me by a friend and decided to give a second chance. I’m really glad i did as now i love it, especially Richard Ayoade who’s fast becoming one of favourite comedy actors of the moment.

I don’t think they have said that more than once or twice since season 1.

Richard Ayoade is awesome in the Mighty Boosh as well.

That is a show that I definitely need to see.

1st season recently added to Netflix streaming.

Nice! I noticed that the DVDs were out in stores. Really cheap too. I think season one was like 13 bucks at Target.

I watched the first season and that’s what killed it for me. It was just a standard sitcom with an IT setting. The only truly geeky humour was the opening credits.

I watched the first episode a couple days before forgeforsaken mentioned it was on Watch Instantly, because I noticed it there and I vaguely remembered it being discussed on Qt3.

Mistake!

I might as well have just watched “When The Whistle Blows”.

keep watching. Easily one of my favorite shows out of britain in the past 5 years.

Are you ‘avin’ a laugh–is 'ee ‘avin’ a laugh?

The IT Crowd is pretty decent. The sort of inoffensive thing I’ll have on in the background to raise the odd titter, rather than actively seek out. I am a sucker for anything involving Richard Ayoade though. He is ace. I actually saw him walking down the South Bank near the Tate Modern once. He keeps his crazy side-parted Afro even when he isn’t on the show. Legend.

To call the show anything like “when the whistle blows” is just ridiculous.

Home sick for the day and couch ridden, I watched the second episode. I’m sorry, but it’s absolutely terrible and I won’t be watching any more.

A small part of me is curious how something so banal could be getting any praise at all around here, but that curiosity isn’t enough for me to waste my time finding out if it gets better.

I wouldn’t say it is changing the face of comedy… but as Sitcom laugh-track shows go, I ask you to find one better from the past 5 years. Season 2 episode one remains my favorite… probably because it is the most Gervais-esque. I really like Ayoade and O’Dowd though, and I am a sucker for british humor.

It didn’t gel for me until the second season. By the time you’ve watched Season 3, you look back and think of the three of four outstandingly funny gags in the series as a whole and realise it’s worth it. At 3 hours a season it’s not a lot of time invested.

This has less to do with the IT Crowd and more to do with the incredible wealth of entertainment options available and the fact that somewhere, someone is recommending almost all of them, but I just don’t really feel like investing in something that will turn out to be good later, when I could watch something that’s good right now.

I just watched up to the Qt3-recommended stopping point of Twin Peaks, and yeah, the payoff was fantastic, but I sat through a lot of stuff I hated on the way there. I don’t really feel like putting myself through that again right now. Maybe in six months I’ll give it another shot.

That’s true, and I hate wasting time on substandard dreck when there’s so much good stuff out there. I’m not sure if the episodes got better, or if I got less annoyed by the Irish guy’s behaviour as it went on. You could always just watch the Gay episode (The Work Outing). It’s the first episode of season 2. If you still don’t like it, I wouldn’t bother with the rest.