The Jay Leno Show

A US version pilot was filmed (with Carolla and a guy from HGTV), but not picked up and never aired.

If you read the article - still 10 Million viewers, top show at the time slot, and about double he had on the Tonight Show

Yet they still had the #1 10pm show and won the night.

Yes, because it sucked. With someone like Leno, a true car enthusiast on the level of Clarkson, it would have sucked less.

Because you’ve seen it?

Edit: Not saying it didn’t suck, or that it couldn’t suck because Carolla did it, just surprised that you would know it actually did suck. There are many reasons shows don’t get picked up or cancelled, and “suck” isn’t always it.

Just watched tonight’s show by virtue of being unwilling to change the channel while gaming.

The only funny thing was the Australian guys with the “ghosting” sketch. Everything else, meh.

Yeah, but he’s going up against reruns on every other channel.

Next week is when the CSIs of the world return for a new season. Also, the season phases in over a period; it’s not like every show returns next week. It’s all staggered.

It’s also always foolish to do instant analysis on a handful of numbers. We need to see performance once the competition arrives in force, and monitor the ratings for a bit before anything can be declared.

Again, if you read the article, it was going up against the season finale of Big Brother on CBS (although it was a rerun on ABC).

I’m not saying it’s sucessful, or going to be sucessful, or I like the show. But claiming doom and gloom for it at this point is bit premature.

Agreed

I saw it the first night and that was enough. Awkward interviews, a set that makes Leno look out of place and lame sketch comedy.

I don’t plan on giving it another shot.

This is true but I think everyone was positivelt surprised by just how strongly he debuted (and he improved yesterday).

The Michael Moore interview was pretty decent on Tuesday. The Tom Cruise bit should have been cut. I’ll give the rest of the week a shot but I’m probably going to stop DVRing and watch the segments that look interesting on Hulu.

Keep us posted.

Did anyone find it odd that Halle Barry held his hand after they walked off yesterday?

No, 'cause I quit watching about 10 minutes into Tuesday’s show.

Some of it is okay. The hit ratio is probably lower than the Leno Tonight Show but worth watching in DVR mode.

Canceled, moved, retooled, or something?

Leno may return to late-night?

Favorite quote:

In a series of statements, the fourth-place network took pains to express support for both Leno and O’Brien.

“Jay Leno is one of the most compelling entertainers in the world today,” NBC said. “As we have said all along, Jay’s show has performed exactly as we anticipated on the network. It has, however, presented some issues for our affiliates. Both Jay and the show are committed to working closely with them to find ways to improve the performance.”

While this statement didn’t clearly refute the Web reports that Leno’s show would be dropped, a clarification from NBC executives denied “The Jay Leno Show” has been canceled.

Jay Leno is one of the most compelling entertainers in the world today
I wonder how embarrassing it is for NBC’s PR person to type this words.

(I presume they lost all dignity previously when praising Carson Daly in some manner.)

So NBC chose Leno over Conan. Trying to find out how Conan’s ratings have been doing.

Embarrassing and poor planning on NBC’s part. Hoping O’Brien doesn’t get hosed too bad. Worked very hard to get to where he is today.

Here’s what I don’t understand from that article.

“The Jay Leno Show,” a nightly 10 p.m. talk and comedy program that debuted last fall, has drawn lackluster ratings and complaints from NBC affiliate stations that the show has provided a weaker lead-in for local late newscasts than past NBC series.
Who on earth can tolerate watching the local news? shudder

Local news is a big moneymaker for local stations, so they want a good lead-in. Most people don’t bother the change the station.

Of course, this assumes NBC has something better to put in the time slot.