The joystick thread

Shop Derek Smart.

Why can’t I like lean?!?

I guess they are a comparatively cheap solution.

The sticks I see recommended most these days are somewhat difficult to come by Russian ones by VKB, like the Defender Cobra M5:
https://www.amazon.com/Defender-Joystick-Cobra-Sensor-Buttons/dp/B00IJ72TMI/
and the VKB Gladiator:
https://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Joystick-Flight-Simulator-Controller-Stick/dp/B01G6GT49O/?th=1
The Gladiator also comes in a much more expensive ‘pro’ version with metal gimbal. It also seems due for a newer ‘plus’ model soon that includes throttle:
http://www.gostratojet.com/Marketing/Gladiator_Pro_Angle_Drawing.jpg

The VKB Gunfighter is due soon too (maybe early next year?), which I think replaces their ‘Black Mamba’ Warthog-alike:
http://www.gostratojet.com/Marketing/Gunfighter_Angle_No_Extension.jpg
http://www.gostratojet.com/Marketing/Gunfighter_Angle_Extension.jpg

VKB also make these glorious-looking rudder pedals:
https://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Joystick-Flight-Simulator-Controller-Stick/dp/B01G6GT4A8/

Does anyone have an experience with any of this stuff? :)

You’re killing me here.

They’re also releasing a metal grip that fits all their sticks, if that helps. :)

http://vkb-sim.pro/project/kg12/

Now you’ve gone and ruined it…

Those VKB pieces of kit are amazing. Wannnnnnt.

A la the Warthog, the VKB stuff also replicates real HOTAS setups, in this case the Russian stuff, so they’re especially popular with people who fly Russian things.

Thought I would resurrect this thread instead of buying a new one. I’ve decided to buy MS Flight Simulator 2020 but I haven’t played a flight simulator in ages and my wife made me get rid of my HOTAS several moves ago. What’s the best HOTAS available without breaking the bank? I’m thinking about the Thrustmaster T.Flight as it’s reasonably priced, gets decent reviews, although not currently available. I’m also thinking about waiting a month and getting the Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus Edition.

Thoughts?

Well first, you can use gamepass instead of buying it, for $1 instead of $70. Second, I’m in the same boat, but joysticks seem sold out everywhere online. I think I’m looking at the Thrustmaster T16000M as a good all-round without costing too much.

I just noticed VKBs announcement for the new gladiator NXT series. Need to take a look at that when I get home. Was hoping they would make more of the gladiator K, which I missed out on, but looks like this is the path forward. Joystick only for now, but I’ve been thinking of going HOKAS anyway. And if that’s not a term, it is now

Or, I could just order it before I get home 🤪

150 for the premium grip, 120 for standard. L or R available. 1000 units in first run. The other modules are coming later this year (waiting in production queue).

The Saitek X36 (USB only!) and X45 are really good, cheap choices which you can find on ebay. Alternatively, you can get the TWCS Thrustmaster throttle (which for some reason is not easily available, but can still be obtained online for around $100), and add the Sidewinder Precision Pro or Force Feedback Pro off ebay.

VKB are the one Russian boutique manufacturer, Virpil are the other. I own their stick base along with an extension. On top of it is the metal thrustmaster warthog grip.

This is my stick. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without it, I am useless. Without me, it is useless. I will take care of my stick, and it will take care of me.

I full well expect this to be the last stick I’ll ever buy. It’s all metal on the inside with magnetic hall effect sensors. It’s super sensitive. The only thing that would ever get me to replace it is a strong force feedback base.

I used to review joysticks, which gave me time with most of them, so here’s my opinion on a few I have more experience with:

Thrustmaster

I’m personally using the T.16000m FCS Flight Pack. This includes the T.16000m stick, throttle, and a nice set of rudder pedals. These use the same Hall Effect sensors as the more expensive Warthog, etc. sticks in a more affordable package. If you’re not going for a full realistic experience, you can forgo the version with the pedals, as the stick has a twist axis, and there’s a rocker on the throttle. The pedals are nice, though, and of course have wheel brake axes.

On my second rig I have the new Airbus FCS TCA Sidestick. This is basically the T.16000m stick with a new handle (still plenty of fire buttons for combat sims) and the addition of a virtual button at the bottom of the throttle that you can use to toggle reverse thrust on and off. Same feel (and identical base) as the T.16000m. I plan to get the throttle quadrant for it when it ships end of September.

T.Flight Hotas X is a good entry level stick-and-throttle setup; you can detach the throttle. It’s cheaper construction, though, and doesn’t have the smoothness and precision of the T.16000m and Airbus sticks. They have a bundle with the same pedals as I have, as well. I had one of these on my secondary PC for multiplayer for a while and it’s decent for the price.

Warthog etc – The top-of-the-line sticks. Same sensors as the T.16000m but you can get grips for the F-16, F/A-18, and A-10. Much heavier and sturdier than the T.16000m, and feels a lot like the sticks in the real planes. Expensive as heck, but you will love the experience. A bit more tiring to use for long sessions, IMHO, due to the weight/mass.

Saitek

My previous choice before I switched to a Logitech G940 after both an X-45 and X-52 Pro both failed on me. (Axis on one, stick electronics on the other.)

If you opt for Saitek, note that only the X-56 Rhino uses Hall Effect sensors. The older sticks use potentiometers that will lose precision/calibration after a few years. Would highly advise against buying any used Saitek sticks based on my own experience with this. The Rhino is a nice setup, though, and I would definitely consider that one. But do not buy an old X-32/X-45/X-52, IMHO.

Also, I had a terrible service experience with Saitek after my X-52 Pro died and they had zero repair/replacement options once the warranty ended for my $200 stick other than “buy a new one.” They have since been purchased by Logitech and might have better support now.

Logitech

If you can find a used G940, that’s what I used for almost 10 years. Loved the setup, but moved to the newer Thrustmaster sticks because the precision is better on those. But the design, feel, etc of the G940 (especially the pedals) was nice, and the split throttle was handy.

VKB and Virpil

Expensive Russian sticks apparently competitive with the Warthog line from Thrustmaster. I haven’t used these, but would love to check them out sometime. (VKB also has a less expensive Gladiator model.)

Used Sticks

The older USB CH joysticks and throttle were good in their day, but don’t match the precision of the newer sticks. I am using old CH USB Rudder Pedals with my Airbus stick. Microsoft’s Sidewinders were digital and hold up pretty well, but I’d only go that direction if you got a killer price.

Yokes

I’m a flight stick kind of guy – I have a CH Yoke sitting in a box in my garage – but consensus seems to be that the new Honeycomb Yoke outclasses the other stuff out there like Logitech, etc.

There aren’t enough people talking about Microsoft’s Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 up in this motherfucker.

We’re also not discussing new episodes of Friends or whether Y2K is going to be a problem. :)

How dare you sir it’s like a fine wine.

As noted above, a VKB stick can be had for as little as 120 (the shipping is pricey as well). Not cheap, but also not expensive as far as joysticks go.

Ah, right. I’d been looking at the Gunfighter sticks, which are $300-400. The Gladiator, their less-expensive stick, runs $120-140.

My virpil stick is not just competitive with the warthog base. It wrestles it to the ground, farts in its face and makes off with both its girlfriend and its mom. Inside the heavy, expensive warthog is plastic. And not even particularly good plastic. That’s no competition.

Going from a warthog base, even one that I had sanded smooth and greased with specialty grease to this glorious hunk of Soviet over engineering was like going from the t-flight to the warthog.

The warthog looks, costs and initially feels like premier league. But inside, where it matters, its still firmly in the cheap toy class.

The long extension helps tremendously with precision. Its placement is very ergonomic and realistic for the things I fly most, fighters and choppers.