The Killing

I think I saw an ad on AMC that indicated April again.

Has anyone watched the European version of the series? Does it have the “Jack Ruby moment” we see at the end of season 1?

Thwead, awise!

I didn’t watch this last year. I watched Season One last week in rapid fire format, and had predictably mixed emotions. I thought it started out super strong, had some fantastic moments, lost some steam, and then the finale was frustrating for all the reasons people have already gone over several times.

Still, with the new season starting tonight, I figured I’d watch to see where they went with the cliffhanger and other revelations. It thought it was alright, but suspect I’ll lose interest after another episode or two.

We did learn one interesting thing tonight: the American and Danish versions will have different killers. I wonder if that was planned from the start or if they’ve just been so vague that they could just pick anyone out of a hat to be the killer.

I too watched the first season this week, after stumbling across it via Netflix. I initially found it to be quite compelling, and stayed up later than I should have each night to get in an extra episode. Having just watched the sack of audience hating failshit that was the season finale, I won’t be watching season 2.

I thought tonight’s episode was pretty strong. No one else? What the hell is Mitch doing?? I guess I didn’t remember the detail about her high-tailing it at the end of last season.

So wait, wasn’t there an uproar at the end of the first season that they left it hanging the way they did. They apologized for that, and then are now going to drag it out an entire second season?

As much as I liked the first season I think I’m done with it if that’s the case. Haven’t watched the second season yet, and now have no real desire to.

There were some complaints. The more…I mean, I don’t want to say erudite, but I’m having a hard time coming up with a different word that covers most of the critics who have been involved in criticizing television for a while…had less of an issue with the finally than the rest of them. Honestly, if the first season had ended with the penultimate episode, I don’t think anybody would have said boo. It was a perfectly good finale.

For what it’s worth, I think that the premiere did an adequate job of continuing to be the same show. It’s proceeding at approximately the same rate as the original series did in terms of episode count by all accounts - it just gets hella shorter seasons on US air. By the end of the two episodes that showed on 4/1, the show had resolved Councilman Squarepants to a large extent and walked back the Scuzzy Robocop revelation to a point that I can live with. It’s the same show it was before it left. If you liked that, it’s still that. If you didn’t, it’s still that.

I’m still watching, and I think Holder’s probably a dead man now (hope not, but it doesn’t look good).

Given that Holder is as close as the show has come to a breakout star (he’s new Robocop), I’ve got my doubts.

Agreed.

Alert! For those semi-interested, the finale is coming up this week.

I am still watching too. It is a shame they dragged out last season into this season. The show has lost its luster… but at least smoke babies aren’t popping out of witch vaginas (see GoT).

The last episode (the one before the one this past Sunday) was actually one of the better episodes of television I’ve seen this year.

This past episode was…not as good. I’m still watching it, but I’m not really invested in the latest turn the plot has taken, particularly since it’s leading back to the guy that I first called as the doer all the way back in the beginning, when a completely unrelated line of evidence that has been all but forgotten tried to implicate him. There are totally awesome things about this show, and I think that it could be exceptional if it focused on those things it does well. We’ll see if it gets the chance to do that.

I do love how much the show is reminding me of Scalped, what with the whole crime on the reservation thing - I wonder how much of that is spilling over into my general reception of the series.

Keep fucking that chicken, Del.

Yeah, that must have really traumatized the good doctor.

Anyway, I haven’t stopped watching. Once they solve Rosie’s murder, will they go on to another one? What did the Danish show do? (or was it Swedish?)

The first thing they’ll do is go back to AMC and ask if they’re getting another season.

If they do, they’ll have to move on to another case. That’s the pattern that the original Danish series follows, anyway. The difference here is that the Danish series got a hella longer order for its first season, so Sud ended up straddling two shorter seasons with that.

People would have been much more forgiving I think if they would have been more upfront with that. Instead of The Killing Season 2 they should’ve said that part 1 is 24 eps (or whatever) split over two years.

I figured out yesterday why I feel better about the show this season than last: it is because we’ve seen very little of Michelle Forbes. She just drags the show down like an anchor. That became clear on Sunday when I watched the penultimate episode for the season–she returns, and suddenly the anchor is sinking it again.

I really hope they wrap this up next week, and then AMC lets the show disappear. It just hasn’t been worth the time, overall.

Well, I suppose that once the Rosie Larsen murder is solved, there’ll be no reason for the Larsen family to keep appearing on the show, so problem solved, I suppose.

BTW, the guy who plays the Larsen dad (last name Sexton)–is he any relation to the other guy with the same last name who played the weirdo employee/family friend who shot the Billy Campbell character?

Nope (via TV Guide).

Finally it is over. I hope in two things:

1. There is no third season
  2. Veena Sud never writes anything else ever

However, if there is a third season written by someone capable and completely Sudless, I might watch that. I like Holder.