The Killing

Yeah, it was worth watching, and they solved the original crime toward the end of that season. Then there’s a third season with another case, and a short 4th season that resolves outstanding stuff from that one. I really like both of the principal actors and think their performances were strong throughout.

The third season is the best, though. If you’re pressed for time, read good synopses of the 2nd season episodes and watch 3 and the short season.

Thanks for the input - I’ll plan on watching it through, just didn’t want to get sucked in and have it go south quickly :D

I will say that now that I think of it, the second season was probably the weakest, and sometimes felt like they were trying to pad the episodes on occasion, particularly the parts with Michelle Forbes’ character.

The second season felt like it was a surprise to the writers and they had to scramble to create a story.

Well I finished season 2 and it was definitely a bit disjointed. I’m trying to avoid thinking back to season 1 and looking for weird plot holes as it seems there must be a few floating around. Moving on to season 3!

OK just finished the short 4th season…SPOILERS!

I agree with the thoughts about the romance ending - when they said bye, I was glad they avoided it, then they just had to have her show up again. Ugh. Good call there, Holder - she’ll be a great mom to your little girl if things get serious! I was glad they had the little 5-ish year epilogue but wish they had just ended it with them saying goodbye and moving on. Glad I watched all four seasons but damn there was some depressing shit in there.

One thing that they threw in there in the third season but never got back to for some reason was…

spoilers

that one cop (not the one who turns out to be the killer of the teen girls) who exacts a “sex tax” from the street kid who has grand ambitions to go to Hollywood etc. (the one that Callie? is in love with). Speaking of which, remind me, did “Callie” fall victim to the killer as well, along with her lesbian friend who wanted to be more than friends?

Yeah, they kept throwing in random stuff to try and keep you guessing, then they abandon it. Callie died too - she was the daughter of the blonde mom that Holder blew up at, then later apologized to when he sobered up.

288 posts and so little talk of the Danish version! Just like Humans and Real Humans my girlfriend and I decided to go with the original and, looking over this thread, I’m glad we did!

We finished The Killing last night and found it incredibly addictive; it kept us guessing right up until the final episode. I’m not sure to what extent the US version did it, but we felt the Danish version was also guilty of exploring lots of dead ends and having some fairly convoluted plot points to create those dead ends.

When the case closed, for good, we still had a few questions about characters’ reasons for doing certain things. It held together, but we’re not sure how solid it would be under scrutiny. It felt… messy. Still, we enjoyed it a lot. The pacing was slow but it was consistent and the performances were terrific across the board. (I’m not Danish so take that with a pinch of salt!)

That said, I think we’ll be moving on to a different series now!

Wait a sec, there are FOUR seasons of this? Wtf? Why would they continue past season 2? Trying to get through to the end of the Rosie case, at least. So far it is quite solid, though I get the angst over the end of season 1.

I enjoyed all 4 seasons. IIRC, season 3 is pretty dark. The end of season 4 makes it clear that it’s over.

Just started season 3 and this prison guy is doing an excellent low budget Malkovich.

The show does seem to be doubling down on the darker elements. It’s kind of unexpected. Ok, maybe tripling and quadrupling down. Geez. Punches not pulled in this show.

Season 4 should be called “all these people turn out to be total a-holes”. The amount of cruelty on display from all quarters is truly epic.

For those of you who haven’t seen it, all four seasons are tightly connected and ultimately part of the same story, though it doesn’t appear that way from the outset.

Wow “directed by Jonathan Demme” for the last episode? Didn’t know that.

Originally on AMC through season 3, moved to Netflix for season 4 to finish up?

After finishing up, I’d say overall this was pretty great. I’d recommend it if you’re in the mood for a good long-form crime drama, especially because it tells one very long 4 season story arc that was patient and took its time to get where it wanted to go. There are definitely some cliche crime drama rote things that happen along the way at times, but I was impressed by the series’ ability to go unflinchingly into the dark when it needed to, and Mireille Enos in the lead was outstanding.

(I did get kinda sick of Holder’s whole white guy wannabe rapper routine, even the in-episode jokes about it weren’t enough to take the edge off.)