The Killing

Even though there’s a million contrived things in this plot, the one that pushed me a bit over the line was the mother just happens to visit the school and see Bennet and he’s only there for a minute.

So Bennet as suspect is complete red herring, and we are practically back to square one now – Rosy left the house and… very TV like discarding of suspects. Still has some great potential depending on what happens now though – are they going to investigate Bennet’s death too?

During the beating, I was confused at the co-worker punching boulders. Was he supposed to be nuts and in some kind of battle rage? Is he prepping to take the fall for the murder?

Edit: Preview on the website has Bennet in ‘critical condition’, so yeah, he’s not dead.

I think the co-worker is just freaking crazy. I’ve gotten the sense all along that there’s something that’s not quite right about him.

By the law of “who is a recognizable actor who shouldn’t be playing that small of a part” the co-worker is the killer.

But others have said that earlier in the thread.

Bennet not being dead sounds about right. Dead Bennet doesn’t help the political campaign as much as shit-beaten-out-of Bennet, and now that they’ve basically cleared him and Mayor Meadowlark Lemon made the basket it lines up the political comeback.

I don’t really recognize the coworker (must be from a show/movie that I haven’t seen), but if we’re invoking the Amy Acker rule on him I’m certainly willing to entertain the theory. He’s as good a mark as anybody at this point, particularly since he’s clearly not quite right in a lot of ways. At this point, I figure it has to be either him or the sister because nobody else that we have ever met had the access and opportunity to even do the crime in the first place.

I think the title refers to the murder of Julius Caesar. In episode 2 the candidate quoted the play when he said ‘are we ready?’ and then later in episode 4 a brief shot can be seen of someone with a haircut that has a short, horizonal straight cut fringe. In 5 the main character eats a salad of Romaine lettuce with croutons, olive oil, egg, worcestershire sauce and black pepper. We learned two episodes back that Rosie was delivered in a Caesarian section and last night the main character referred to her partner as a joker. The Joker, of course, was played by Cesar Romero.

I really think the clues are coming together.

(My other guess is that ‘the killing’ refers to Rosie Larsen, who is murdered in the first few minutes of the first episode. This seems like a stretch, though.)

What would be the connection to the campaign car? The sister stands out to me as more likely than the coworker, since the coworker seems always to do the bidding of Stan. He is nuts, though. Also, who gave Rosie the expensive shoes? I’m tempted to think the mayor has something to do with it; he’s buying off the other girl, after all, and he had motive to frame Richmond.

The mayor is definitely looking worse. When you think about those shoes the question becomes, why does she need them? It’s hard to imagine there won’t be a twist with Rosie.

Linden finds a slip of paper in the Koran Rosie returned to Bennett that says, “Adela Friday 11:45”. They assume she’s meeting someone by that name but could that be Rosie’s identity for the evening?

I think Adela is the name of the 12-yr old Somali girl that Bennett is trying to smuggle to Canada… please correct me if I’m wrong.

That would be Aisha.

Good to know I was wrong… if it had been Aisha, then it would pretty much have closed things off without further evidence. I’m bad with names.

Hrmmm, giant red herrings abound. Not sure where to pin blame next. Not sure what the FBI was doing raiding that area, either.

If I’m reading it correctly, the FBI raided the area because of the whole fake passport thing. They thought they were terrorists.

I’m going to be annoyed if they start introducing more suspects here.

Entire episodes of red herrings… nay the majority of a season of red herrings.

Hey partner, think we should wait 10 days to track down the last place Rosie said she was going before she died?

Linden just hopped the ferry to One-Eyed Jacks.

Jacques Renault did it!

So… unless I missed some deeper meaning there was only approximately 5-10 minutes that actually involved them working the case last night?

Did the original have this type of episode?

I quit the show six minutes into this episode. I couldn’t take any more.

Rubicon was 1000x better.

We quit this show about two episodes ago…and we really tried to stick with it.

Never gone from loving a show to hating it so fast.

So Holder either has a kid or knows one that is sick, Linden loves her own kid, and Rosie may have been recorded by an ATM. What shocking revelations.

The last episode truly sucked out of a series that is becoming a giant disappointment. I guess they saved the “will kill all interest in our series” total filler episode for near the end so that most people see it through just on pure TV watching inertia.