The King of Kong (AFI Dallas Film Festival)

I have no relationship to this film, but I loved it.

King-in-exile of Kong Billy Mitchell loses a defamation of character suit.

“The television character does not match the plaintiff in appearance: GBF appears as a non-human creature, a giant floating head with no body from outer space, while Plaintiff is a human being,” [Judge] Thompson wrote. “And when GBF loses his title, the character literally explodes, unlike Plaintiff.”

Sometimes, being a Judge has to be a lot of fun.

The fact that he even filed that lawsuit has cemented my impression of Billy Mitchell as not just the stool in King of Kong’s narrative, but the actual asshole I thought him to be.

Seattle gamers are definitely the best. And nicest. (I have some Tetris grandmasters & the Asteroids world record holder on my pinball team. Great guys.)

Kill screen coming up.

We may have enough material soon for a sequel at this rate.

I hate this story for some reason. I hate the name King of Kong. I hate the players. I hate the scoring controversy. It all seems so un-hip and old fashioned. Just shut up already. No one cares!

Uh oh look out everybody, cranky old man @TimJames is on a rampage!

See what I did there?

Man, Rampage. They should make a movie out of that.

Crazy talk.

Oh boy, i googled the Uwe Boll movie and had no idea that a The RockbetterthanHarrisonFord TM Rampage is actually in the works.

If you like King of Kong, definitely check out Man vs. Snake (couldn’t find a thread for it?), which is based on a man’s quest to take on the Nibbler world record and features several of the by now familiar Twin Galaxies “characters”.

Nibbler may not be as sexy or well-known as Donkey Kong, but I actually liked this doco better than Chasing Ghosts, which felt a bit unfocused and repetitive.

Confirmed, there is no topic for Man va. Snake and I have heard good things about it.

I’m glad “WTF is nibbler?” is a theme in this movie. That was my first question.

Yeah, I didn’t know about Nibbler before watching the film. But I did associate it with QuickBasic’s NIBBLES.BAS!

Heard about this thru my Tetris friends the other night! The speedrunning community is thoroughly uninterested in what anyone else thinks (sorry, Tim!) and has basically dismissed Billy Mitchell as much as athletes like Barry Bonds or Lance Armstrong have been disgraced by doping scandals. There is a commitment to the validity of the scores/times above all else.

As techniques for verification become more sophisticated (& live recordings thru Twitch make RTA verifications easier) there isn’t much people can get away with anymore. Here’s another example of a cheater finally getting caught:

How the mighty have fallen.

I imagine Mr. Mitchell went out like this, though replace the molten steel with a vat of hot sauce.

Justice for Steve Wiebe!