The Laaaaast Fruit... you'd want to eat in a fruit salad

I can’t understand how bad canned pears are but how great fresh pears are.

I’m starting to wonder if you’ve all just never had a good cantaloupe?

He’s been angry since his parents would not let him run off and get married.

I’ve had good cantaloupe, but I have not had good cantaloupe used in fruit salad.

You kid, but…

Obviously some people, like stusser, haven’t (though he may just be putting on his “This is demonstrably and objectively the greatest thing of all time and everything else is worthless garbage that shouldn’t exist” routine), but I think in general fruit salad is not a great way to enjoy fruit. It’s usually either from the supermarket and prepared with less than fully ripened examples in order to extend shelf life, or is a mushy, homemade conglomeration of mangled, oxidized fruit blobs swimming in a slurry of pulp and seeds (courtesy of the now decimated watermelon).

This man is correct.

↑ ↑ THIS

Also @lordkosc good point, Pears are another filler fruit, though a good pear is more common than a good cantaloupe to me. Good cantaloupe is incredibly rare.

You guys have clearly had your experiences limited to garbage melon.

Bring me a cantaloupe with an intensity of flavor and boldness of taste of even shitty pineapple, and I will bequeath upon you one Indian curry delight of your choosing.

I’m sure the Japanese will sell you a $120 cantaloupe that would make you eat those words.

I am at least 25% sure the Japanese have devised an incredibly intricate and time-intensive process by which to shape hand-harvested, twice-weekly-massaged cantaloupe flesh into a perfect 11 pt facsimile of those words.

The Japanese have a whole culture of producing essentially perfect fruit for gifts. They do not come cheap, I wasn’t exaggerating.

For a while bananas, honeydew, cantaloupe and (touching) some petroleum products gave me stomach pains and hives, but this problem went away. (Or maybe I just stopped eating/touching them.)

Can I pay extra for a cube shaped one?

Yeah.

As noted, they’re basically expensive gifts with price more or less disconnected from tasting qualities. Conceptually closer to very expensive vintages of wine than food.

That being said, there are very expensive fruits sold for regular consumption in Japan, like $4 strawberries. Which is expensive, but if you compare them to, like, a piece of very high end chocolate or small bakery item, it makes a little more sense.

Also, I’m just going to no-comment on the subject of durian. Many people in Asia love it. I personally don’t mind it, but it isn’t my favorite thing either. I do find the smell oddly…nostalgic? Which makes it appealing in its own way.

I had an imported fresh white peach in jelly from an expensive ($20ea) Japanese confectioner and it was amazing.

http://www.kitchoan.com/order-online/tosenka/

Similarly the grapes with the cheese course at Gordon Ramsays 3* were extraordinary. It made me question just what I thought grapes were. Never had any like it since, although I have had some nice varieties (like candyfloss grapes) that have made it into the market recently.

Oh yeah the peach jelly! I actually had that once at Mitsuwa, a japanese grocery with a couple locations across the US.

Was more impressed with the red bean filled taiyaki though. Goddamn that was delicious.

http://www.mitsuwa.com/

Quote for MFT right here. Fuck grapes.

Good melons are awesome in fruit salad but you can’t hide under or over ripe melon in there. Of those listed grapes are the obvious choice for worst. They add nothing good. How was banana not on the list? It gets squishy and gross down at the bottom of the bowl. They are merely tolerable alone but in salad are nasty as hell.