The Laaaaast Fruit... you'd want to eat in a fruit salad

Bananas were mentioned. They are gross enough by themselves. Who would mix them with a liquid? Mengele maybe. Or people who like ranch dressing. And cilantro.

Peaches and pineapples for the win!

I have discovered the way to eat those fruit cups without a spoon. First, peel off plastic and sip all the liquid. Then proceed to scoop fruity bits in mouth.

I was under the impression that we were talking about freshly made fruit salad. Canned fruit salad is crap regardless of the ingredients.

Yes.

Also, in terms of canned fruit cocktail, Jesus those pears are disgusting.

Wtf are they even made of? Grit and flavorless paste?

Real fruit talk?If you ever a get a chance to eat Jackfruit, I highly recommend it.

I’ve cooked with young green jackfruit, and it’s great for vegetarian meal.

I’ve not had the chance to eat fresh or more mature sweet varieties.

Grapes, Bananas, Cool whip, Almond Slivers.

The Almond Slivers are what make the salad!

I havent had the green kind, just the sweet one. The lady who ran my local Thai restaurant grabbed me one day as I was picking up a take out. Took me into the kitchen and said “have you ever had fresh jackfruit?” she then proceeded to show me the thing (they are HUGE btw) , she delicately picked out the fruit and invited me to dig in. I can honestly say it was a peak fruit experience. It was like a healthy candy that dissolved in my mouth. Not too sweet, nor tart nor too citrusy, just this beautiful unique taste. So good.

Man the local Berkots (which is somewhat of a traditional grocery store hybrid ethnic grocer) has them available all the time, but I’ve never gotten one since they’re so large, and I’m not sure how good they would be. Price per pound is good, but when they’re 10 pound fruits, I’d hate to buy $10 worth of fruit I hate.

No way will you hate it. They are a bugger to properly get the fruit out of though. I dunno its all gummed up in there. Worth watching a youtube vid on how to prepare them if you ever decide to take the plunge.

I accidentally voted for cantaloupe when I was thinking of honeydew but they’re pretty close anyway. They’re the lettuce of fruit salad. I get it, you’ve got a bowl to fill, but I’m only here for literally everything else.

Honeydew is like a whole melon made from the “you haven’t hit the rind but you should stop eating” part of a watermelon.

Omg, this slander against honeydew cannot stand!

Good honeydew is super sweet.

There’s exactly one good honeydew, and he wears glasses.

In my experience when buying a fruit salad (anywhere) it is never ripe! Nothing worse than unripe honeydew because it is just so disappointing. You dream of the flavor of the honeydew and what do you get? Like eating an uncooked potato.

Yes, i can see that. Lots of fruit salad has unripe melon, which is pretty much flavorless.

Oh definitely! Maybe 1 in 10 store bought fruit salads have ripe melon. Made homemade with ripe melon, which is what I do because store bought are terrible, they can be very good.

Honestly store bought fruit salads are about 90% disappointment with any fruit.

I guess i am food obsessed today, but if you like watermelon, you might want to try this “fruit salad” I know it sounds gross, but its really excellent.

I love how this post perfectly fits in both this thread and the not-real-food thread.

I had to go with Honeydew. The name is completely misleading because of all the fruits in the poll, I’ve never yet had a decent Honeydew. Work colleague tells me they are better overseas but here in Australia they are fairly lacklustre. Might as well be eating ice because it is tasteless water.

I am genuinely surprised by the hatred towards Cantaloupe. Always sweet without being overpowering and make a fantastic addition to any fruit salad. Eating it by itself, add a touch of icing sugar and it is even more awesome. Then again, I have a bit of a sweet tooth and can engorge myself on a good fruit salad - rockmelon(cantaloupe), watermelon, pineapple, yellow nectarines, yellow peaches, grapes, mango, apple (Jazz) and Valencia oranges. Some lime juice over the top and that’s dessert for a week.

Dammit, I miss Summer…

I’ve had honeydews that made me understand where they got the name, as it literally tasted like a floral honey when I ate it. Just not quite as sweet obviously or I’d have puked from eating the whole thing in one short sitting.