The Laaaaast Fruit... you'd want to eat in a fruit salad

We went to the grand hotel on mackinac island for our honeymoon, and in their super fancy breakfast buffet they had canteloupe with strawberry jello in the center. IT was amazing.

Black pepper is good on canteloupe.

Blueberries. Yuck.

I love fresh blueberries.

Blueberry flavored anything is always my least favorite. I would eat almost literally any other pie type before blueberry, unless it’s homemade by myself. That’s the only time it’s decent imo.

Check this out.

I’ve been growing these hardy kiwis for years now, and they Vines are immense. It looks like they are finally producing fruit this year.

I expect the kiwis to be small, about the size of grapes or kumquats. But I’m not totally sure. I had thought that these kiwi Vines required male and female plants, but it seems like these may need issai kiwis, which can self pollenate. But these seem like they have pollenated and are nearing fruit, so we will see what happens.

Black pepper is a fruit.

I will see myself out.

Awesome job, I’ve read kiwis can be temperamental to get fruit, in large part because the male/ femal pollenation thing. Nice to see!

My raspberry Bush seems to have taken well, only planted it this spring

And my apples are coming in!

Craig, your hand is so soft and shapely, have you considered modeling?

https://i.imgur.com/etm9RSM.gif

If you just planted your raspberries, do you know the tricks to maintain then in terms of cutting old canes and stuff?

I ask because when i first started my raspberry patch, i didn’t know that stuff.

Here’s my black raspberries this year, just starting to ripen.

Yeah I did quite a bit of research to pick out which variety to get. These are a heritage type where the canes give fruit in both their first, and second, years. So that way, once established, you get an early crop and a late crop.

That’s neat, mine is literally just a wild strain, that I originally found as a tiny sprout at the end of my rain spout off my gutters. A bird probably ate the berries and pooped it on my roof. I transplanted it and the patch has been doing great now.

Once they start producing, for a few weeks they are cranking out a few pints of berries every day.

The kiwis look like they might produce a massive amount of fruit… There are a lot of kiwis on it. It took years to establish itself and start fruiting though, and the overall plant is immense now, constantly trying to reach out and climb into everything.

I have some wild ones near me, though I know they spread a lot. Are they easily contained from that? Just wondering how easy these are in a yard.

This should be helpful.

http://www.pixelpog.com/UncoverNewZealand/ftpimages/KiwiCutaway.jpg

If you trim them, they are pretty easily contained.

Their spreading comes mainly from allowing the canes to grow real long, because once the ends touch the ground, the tips will develop roots and essentially establish a new plant.

As long as you are trimming the canes after they get around 5 get long, they won’t hit the ground and spread. And you are going to want to do that anyway to maximize their production.

For mine, i let them spread some but it’s not hard to stop them once the patch is big enough.