I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
I go to the lavat’ry
On Wednesdays I go shopping
And have buttered scones for tea

And he goes rollin’, rollin’ down the white waters,
that’s how a logdriver learns to step lightly
he’s burrrrrrrning downnnnnn and dowwwwn white waters
a logdrivers life makes his girl completely

I beleive that he’s actually birling down white waters.

And he goes rollin’, rollin’ down the white waters,
that’s how a logdriver learns to step lightly
he’s burrrrrrrning downnnnnn and dowwwwn white waters
a logdrivers life makes his girl completely[/quote]

It’s “burling down and down white waters”, I think, since burling is a synonym for log rolling.

And now all those memories of late night Canadian TV are flooding back and that stupid song is stuck in my head.

Thanks.

Troy

Dictionary.com defintion:

[i]v. birled, birl·ing, birls
v. tr.

To cause (a floating log) to spin rapidly by rotating with the feet.[/i]

Can anyone find the actual lyrics for the rest of the song? I was probably about seven or eight when I saw that “advertisement.”

“Is it cooked?”
“Um, no.”
“What, a RAW FROG?”
“We use only the finest Belgian baby frogs, lightly drizzled in fine chocolate.”
“Do you take the bones out?”
“If we took the bones out it wouldn’t be crunchy, would it?”

“Do you actually have any cheese here at all?”
“Yes.”
“Really?”
“Uh…no. I’ve been deliberately wasting your time, sir.”
“Ah. Well, I shall have to kill you then.”

I’m sure someone’s going to do the parrot and the fending off a tiger with a bannana ones, but those two are a couple of my favorites.

In the Seattle Arborarium there is a Larch grove identified by sign. It was the single most exiting thing I have ever experienced in an arborarium.

The Log Driver’s Waltz. A classic Canadian folksong.

And yes, it is birling. Sadly, I’ve been misspelling it for years now.

Troy

How about those ads about ducks with that hypnotic music?

That wasn’t an ad. The Log Driver’s Waltz is a National Film Board (NFB) animated short with the song being sung by Kate and Anna McGarrigle.

From the NFB seite

As for the duck stuff, are you taling about the Hinterland Who’s Who? I never really understood the point of those. I guess they were educational public announcements?

I remember back in the day, Dave Thomas explained that the reason that “The Great White North” ended up on SCTV was that anything that had gov’t funding needed to have somthing of “Uniquely Canadian Character” or somesuch.

Perhaps that explains it?

No idea what duck thing you are talking about.

As for Hinterland Who’s Who, those opening notes are as much a part of childhood as The Friendly Giant.

For those not in the know, they were Canadian wildlife shorts that shared a tiny bit of information on one of the country’s many furry creatures. Endlessly spoofed and parodied in Canada.

Troy

http://www.canadianecology.ca/fun_and_games/log_drivers_waltz.htm

The genesis for the Great White North was a reaction to a request for more Canadian content. Dave Thomas’s response was something to the effect of…

If they want Canadian content, we should just dress up in bush jackets, kodiaks and toques, drink Molson Canadian, and fry up some back bacon.

And thus was Born the Great White North. I remember seeing the first episode of it. It consisted of a short sketch pretending to be a TV show, then the credits rolled, which consisted of an hilarious tirade on Canadian content. My recollection is that one of the “disclaimers” in the credits was “Any resemblance to American programming is strictly unintentional.”

Here is the Wiki entry.

And as for the Friendly Giant, I miss him greatly. I grew up with him. Bob Homme who played the Friendly Giant on the recorder played the theme music for each and every episode. It wasn’t the same recorded version (so I’ve heard). He also refused all public appearances so as not to spoil the image of a friendly giant by appearing as a regular sized human being in public. I totally knew that Rusty the Rooster was a hand puppet, but Gerome ther Giraffe had me fooled. I was totally impressed by the fact that a giraffe could draw with a marker in his mouth and tried to emulate his drawing style.