The Last Kingdom BBC series, based on the Cornwell books

Love this show. It’s a family meme at this point.

Uhtred son of Uhtred on his path to Bebbanburg, where Destiny is All!

I enjoyed the middle seasons the best. The first is “Uhtred does something rash, gets in trouble. Uhtred does something heroic, gets back in good with the King” repeated over and over. Then by the last season the main plot points were also getting pretty predictable.

Hah, so true. The guy is so stupid, but I like it because other characters call him out on it and make fun of him for it so it works.

Oh gosh that series is much better than dumb Uthred. It’s overall the same story but it’s tighter, and the mythical King Arthur is really interesting

Nooooo Leofric and Iseult I was hoping they would make it through :(

I was completely fed up with AC Valhalla but this show makes me want to reinstall it again…

And Aelfred the Great is gone… What a brilliant performance.

Does anyone know when this movie is coming?

I agree 100% it was amazing. He acted the shit out of that role and deserved some awards/recognition.

Welp. That went by quickly. For me, this show was overall a masterpiece. Looking forward to the movie and eventually full rewatch in half a decade or so.
Now, to binge all kinds of interviews with its creators.

Sometime this year I believe.

— Alan

April 14 as it turns out.

— Alan

wow i didn’t even know there was a movie on the way, that’s awesome, love this show!

— Alan

I think you mean “Destiny… isssall.”

Cant wait, looks great as always.

Finally got the chance to watch the last season of this.

Enjoying it so far, although the ages of the various actors is more absurd than ever before. Uthred started out the series looking too old and now he looks far too young. Aethelflad looks older than her mother. Pretty much no one looks as old as the story would have them be.

The show focuses a lot more on Brida than the book, but I think that is a smart choice, because it brings the story of Uthred and Brida’s relationship full circle, rather than have it like the books where it’s basically Uthred versus forgettable Viking Jarl #9. If I have a criticism, it is that the continued misinterpretation of the Norse/Christianity conflict. Norse did not go round slaughtering Christians over religion (despite the propaganda of monks). It is the nature of a polyhteistic religion to acknowledge that there are many gods - which was what Christ was to them. The majority had no problem worshipping Christ - right alongside all the other gods - to quote a saga hero: “On land I worship Christ and at sea I worship Thor”. Most Norse lords were not concerned about being baptised if it would make their subjects happy. Christian missionaries were often welcomed (though they could also end up sold off into slavery, if they ran into the wrong lord). Where violence did occur - was when Christians (usually a Norse King) tried to enforce monotheism. That rarely went well - live and let live tended to work best. Brida’s antagonism could have remained, but I do wish they’d let the other pagan characters have a more nuanced take on the Christian polytheism that actually existed.

Still the best Viking show on TV, though.

Also when folks rolled up to your town and started killing people until they were paid off (regardless of religion).

Was thinking of religious violence. Norse violence against English had very little - if anything - to do with religion, despite pretty much every single piece of popular media about Vikings trying to make a point out of it.

It seemed a bit more nuanced in the books; Christianity as organized religion was frequently a target of Cornwell’s, and typically his portrayal of Danes’ reaction to it as mixed, with the warlords generally mocking Christianity’s harshness and dour reality. Attacking Christians is more of a multi-faceted tool (propaganda, internal politics, letting off steam).

It’s a bit of theme in the Arthur books as well, so it’ll be interesting to see how they are portrayed on the screen.

— Alan