The Last Man On Earth (Forte/Lord/Miller)

I’m still watching it, but begrudgingly. What started as a clever post-apocalypse comedy has turned into a bog-standard sitcom that should be called “An Outrageously Jerky Character Played By Will Forte Tries To Get Laid But It Doesn’t Work Because Of Something Or Other Always Happening”. I think I’m disappointed because it has Chris Miller and Phil Lord’s names on it, but I don’t see any of the creativity and humor of The Lego Movie or 22/3 Jump Street. I guess because the main character has their name, I figured they were more involved.

True story: I once had a teensy part on a TV show I didn’t know. Probably one line or something. I don’t even remember what the part was. I think a reporter. But on the day I was shooting, I was in the make-up trailer seated next to Joe Mantegna, who was a regular on the show. I was utterly flummoxed. I mean, this guy was basically David Mamet’s mouthpiece on stage for years, and I knew him from a few movies I loved, including House of Games and Homicide. And he starts talking to me, just the sort of friendly chatter between two guys getting make-up put on their faces and hairspray sprayed in their hair and eye liner put around they eyes and whatnot.

“So where are you from?” he asks.

“I’m originally from Arkansas,” I tell him.

“Oh, do you know Mary?”

I have no idea who he’s talking about. Mary who? Why would being from Arkansas mean that I know someone named Mary? Did he think that only a handful of people lived in Arkansas and they all knew each other? Because I used to get that. I’d say I’m from Arkansas and someone would say, ‘oh, do you know so-and-so’, as if I would obviously say, ‘yes, of course I do, we’re both from Arkansas!’ But when people do that, they normally at least throw in a last name. So I had no idea what to say when asked whether I knew Mary.

“No, I don’t think so,” I admitted.

He then politely asked me something else and I was none the wiser for quite some time that Mary Steenbergen, who is also from Arkansas, was also a regular on the show, which was called Joan of Arcadia and starred Joe Mantegna and Mary Steenburgen.

Anyway, I was delighted to see Mary Steenburgen, who I don’t personally know, appear on Last Man on Earth.

-Tom

Cool Story! Would love to hear a one off Tom Chick Hollywood Storycast. I find them fascinating.

Anyway, this show! I love Will Forte, I think he’s just naturally hilarious and has an amazing “everyman” quality to him but man. This frickin’ show. If it was just him talking to the inflatable smiley face balls for twenty-two minutes I’d love it, but Phil Miller is so utterly dislikeable that it drives me crazy.

Great story, Tom - looking at her Wiki, seems I most remember her from Parenthood and Back to the Future III. She sure has aged well!

Steenburgen was fantastic on Justified this year. :)

Another crap episode, actually watching Phil suffer up on the road ad sign was sorta enjoyable. Sunburn! Maybe he can get attacked by bees or some desert animal next week. And yes another new man shows up, this time its a fit sexy dude to add doubt and panic to Phil and Todd’s chances of a relationship / sexytimes with any of the ladies on the show. His name is also Phil Miller for comic effect… :|

A show called Last Man on Earth, now with 3 men.

That was one of the best episides of the season I thought. I especialy liked seeing Phil struggle.

Can’t really add anything to the above, other than a genre description: Post-Apocalyptic Cringe Comedy. Not really my thing I don’t think, but for some reason I’m still trying to like it.

Got caught up. This show is so different from anything I’ve ever seen before. Bravo! I love it.

I especially love how sometimes they can have a whole episode leading up to one punchline. It’s happened a few times now, and I’ve loved it each time.

I’m kind of surprised that this is still on the air though. When a show is this different from the normal sit-com, you kind of expect it to fail spectacularly.

I can’t help but think the end of tonight’s show wasn’t what we think it was. Another fun one tonight; definitely glad it’s continuing on for a 2nd season.

Love the ending of tonight’s episode though the rest of it was pretty forgettable.

I really feel like this show has found its groove again these past few episodes and I’m interested to see where they take it from here.

I’m really going to miss this show during the season break.

So presumably it will be Tandy and his companion alone together next season. I have no idea how they can get his brother back. That’s intriguing. I wonder if they’ll end up traveling to Houston?

Weird tease, since I can’t imagine Jason Sudeikis being a regular on the show.

I suppose I’m glad I stuck with it. Kristen Schaal is just so darn adorable and that was a great payoff. Presumably they’ll be moving on from Will Forte’s failed attempts to get laid* to explore other plots?

-Tom

• although I laughed out loud at the “That’s my whole thing! That’s all I ever wanted!” reaction to Schaal’s line about casual sex

Why do you say that? Does he have another show? Wait, don’t tell me he’s still an SNL cast member.

-Tom

Am I the only one still watching this? New season started on Sunday. Forte was less despicable than last season so that might be a plus for some. Will keep watching!

Yes you are. :)

I tried watching the premier, and I’ve come to the conclusion I just do not like Will Forte. Gave up about half way through and deleted it from the DVR.

I’m not sure how long I can continue to watch, but I’m still there. It just seems like this “the exact opposite thing that Phil wants to happen will always happen” schtick is getting old.

Oh so now it’s My Name is Earl? Doubly glad I stopped watching!

I loved the revisiting of the general destruction and ability to take whatever you want, but this time with Kristen Schall in the mix.

We really enjoyed this one… The ending was pretty heart-wrenching.