The Last Minute Christmas Gift Thread!

Indeed. Vegemite is awesome. Marmite is vile.

Which reminds me that I need to restock. Ironically, the only place that imports Vegemite here is the local Irish deli/kitsch shop.

I’m afraid of encouraging more Vegemite jokes, but I need an idea for one of those stupid gift exchanges. The theme is “eat, drink, and be merry.” I’d prefer not to get food or alcohol directly since I think a lot of people will bring that. Do any creative ideas or twists on the theme jump out to anyone?

Tim, dishware immediately comes to mind for me - a kitschy mug or two, perhaps, or something like the glasses we gave my grandfather a couple years back that proclaimed “the grill of hickory, [and] the agony of burnt meat”.

A french press, grinder, kitchen knife, etc. Or prozac.

H.

That glass up there says “concentrated yeast extract”. I wish I’d been able to read the glass before I had my first taste… nobody would willingly put that in their mouth.

Heresy. It’s delicious.

It’s seasoned industrial waste. Literally.

Someone needs to learn the difference between a by-product and waste. But that’s okay, your narrow US-centric world view shouldn’t surprise anyone by now.

Vegemite rules.

RE: Last minute gift ideas. I just sent a gift certificate for live Maine lobsters to my brother and sister in-law.

What do you get for your Grandma? It’s hardly impossible to shop for one’s Grandma. Give me ideas.

Great Grandchildren.

Get her the DVD/Blu-Ray of Planet Earth. Old people travel via television.

H.

For this weekend, I need to find something for around $10 that is either stupidly desirable, or silly and humorous. Risque stuff is acceptable. Any suggestions?

Go to Dillards, get something expensive and/or gift cardy. Perfume is out once you hit a certain age, though. Jewelry can be in, if you’re well off enough, but don’t overdo it, or it becomes awkward (you need to have the reputation as being the rich one of the family). Or, a nice vase, ect. Fancy Christmas ornaments are always appreciated.

Or go the fatten em up route, and order them a nice Turkey / Smoked Ham and/or pick it up for them. Omaha Steaks would be acceptable, if she/they haven’t any taste in food. Harry & David is reliable for gift baskety stuff.

You could always go the fruitcake route and start a new tradition:

So Vegemite is made from vegetables. What is Marmite made from, marmots?

Gah! 30 year old woman, halp!

And 23 yr old! Gah, i hate Christmas.

Take the 23yo’s boyfriend and get him to marry the 30yo, since she’s desperate and they’ll just split up when they hit 25.

H.

When in doubt for very last minute things, amazon or itunes giftcards usually work.

Every time I get some weird gift from my parents, I think to myself that I would rather have gotten the equivalent value in an Amazon gift card.