The Last of Us has real heart, but not much else

Uncharted's Jekyll and Hyde nature has never really bothered me, so I think I will pick this up. I seem to be a little more forgiving of gameplay than you are, Tom, but if the story elements are garbage, I check out immediately.

Either way, excellent review, Tom. It's frustrating that so many gamers get hung up on a number.

gaming-centric magazine*

To be fair, a 3/5 on Tom's scale means he likes the game. He doesn't go by the 10 point scale. I think he liked the game and genuinely found some faults in it. But, I think we could nitpick ANYTHING to death if we looked hard enough. Nothing is perfect. Most reviewers loved the game. I trust the majority over the minority.

He's right I just saw your review on meta critic did you know that your review is the only one on meta critic for the last of us that is below 90?! Does someone need attention :(

Great Review! Am glad you have the ballz to go against the pack. The first paragraphs alone sum it up. Too many games are getting too invested in story and forgetting all about gameplay! UC3 was worse than UC2 because of this, and UC2 in some ways, worse than UC1. The Last of Us takes it to the extreme. Ultra boring 'gameplay', slow pacing, unremarkable gunfights, flawed A.I and stealth. On top of that we have, yes good art direction and doing ok with the PS3 (but not the best graphics I've seen on it, even uncharted 2 looked better and how old is that?), but really played out environments. It's been done people, zombies, infected, ruined cityscapes, it's been done and nothing here makes it feel any better than games that have come before.

Half Life 2 did the oppression thing better!
Numerous games do the stealth thing better!
Uncharted 1/2 did the platform/ladder/crate/yawn stuff better
Tomb Raider (the latest one) did exploring/discovery better (a much better game than this btw)

That leaves story, whoop de do, yet another game to add to the Bioverhypedshocks of this world. Games that forget they are meant to be played instead of just ramming their designers story down our throats.

I am SO tired of 'press X to perform canned animation' while traversing the most cinematic route. Games are not films and these guys need to stop treating them as such.

You know that feeling you get when you just can not leave a game alone, and become addicted to INTERACTING with it, discovery, empowerment, non linearity (along with great graphics, sound, controls etc) well sorry but it's not in this (I have played this game at a shop where a 'friend' works who let me play it out back, for 3 hours and was waiting for the buzz to kick in and it didn't).

The AI flaws and breaking of it's own rules are terrible. Don't think you can ever rely on stealth because seemingly at random runners and clickers will be all over you just for breathing, while ignoring much louder noises or AI.

Honestly this is sadly yet another in the modern trend of 'more fun to watch than it is to play'

I have NO idea why it's getting 10/10 esp from edge, the story is hardly the best thing since sliced bread either? maybe good for a 'mere game' but a shame it's so plodding and distinctly un-fun.

I used to think bioshock was the most overhyped game ever (in relation to score vs gameplay + fun) but this easily wins that title now.

This is why I take reviews with a grain of salt these days.

And I loved uncharted 1 (so much free will and interaction while still being a linear game) uncharted 2 (a tad TOO much cinematic/set pieces but did have some great gameplay/gunfights - felt empowering and immersive) so I expected more from TLOU and sadly it's a lot lot less, the graphics are worse, the bugs are worse, the AI seems worse, the gameplay is FAR worse, even the story - while apparently 'emotional' (yeah if you get emotional about cartoon characters) is worse, no sense of fun or discovery like in Uncharted. UC3 was a massive let down after 1/2 and I feel TLOU has gone even worse.

Such a shame that Naughty Dog have lost sight of what makes a good game in their pursuit to be like a film.

7/10 - as a story game
5/10 as just a game

sad

Lol you are Tom Dick

How much did Microsoft pay you to write this review, Tom? Let me guess, 1 million dollars. Almost every other reviewer gave this game at least 9.0 and you gave it a 6. You have absolutely no taste in games, so shut the f*uck up and go suck your mother's balls a*shole.

congratulations you got your views and comments now go fuck your selves

Tom Dick LOL

I beat the last of us, and it was perfect. The story was jaw-dropping, creating heart filled scenes, and the suspense would literally get your heart pumping (I personally had to stop playing to catch my breathe sometimes). If you don't think it's a hard game, according to this half-assed video game review,(which in my mind, he needs to rethink what he said) then turn off the normal mode and go harder. If you enjoyed say, Uncharted from Naughtydogs (seeing this guy hasn't) then you'll know that they haven't lost their touch while playing; Now, if you haven't experienced their style of play, or mesmerizing ways to tell a story before,let me tell you and say "You're in for a treat my friend." The game in my opinion was perfect and in a professional critically acclaimed reviewer stance, I still give it 10/10.

I personally would say for you the consumer, Buy the game, fuck what tom or I say, and play it, and then tell me what you really think. Without someone's opinion.

Seriously? This guy is just trying to pull a "Oh look at me I'm giving this game a 6/10 come and visit my website!" just to generate traffic for this joke of a site. Metacritic needs to stop factoring these poorly written reviews into the score. I mean, by Tom's logic, one flaw is automatically 2 stars off.

The article seemed pretty well-reasoned, although I feel a lot of the time with AAA titles the lower scores are usually scaled to the hype, making them justified but also kind of cheap. Like Armond White's movie reviews if anyone still talks about him.

Seriously? This guy is just trying to pull a "Oh look at me I'm giving this game a 6/10 come and visit my website!" just to generate traffic for this joke of a site. Metacritic needs to stop factoring these poorly written reviews into the score. I mean, by Tom's logic, one flaw is automatically two stars off. Visit their Metacritic page, their scores are 9.4 points lower than the average critic. Attention whores at their best.

It was so nice, he posted it twice!

In 3 minutes no less, so he must be super-serious

Seriously that guy has played the damn game. As have I. He's spot on.

Brandon, don't visit the website of scores you don't agree with if you think it's all about generating views.

Honestly, if you cannot resist doing it just to complain, you are genuinely an idiot.

Dude, I have this game preordered, I'm getting it tomorrow. I'm extremely excited to play this game. I think Tom takes great pride in being a contrarian, and I don't trust his reviews. I think he's a troll. He's done this before. He gave journey a 4/10 and Halo 4 a 2/10.

But I believe you. The game looks absolutely brilliant. Of course there are minor flaws in even the BEST game, but that doesn't detract from the enjoyment.

Naughty Dog has been my favorite developer since I was a kid. They never made a game I didn't like.

I doubt it has anything to do with hype or the other good reviews. I take games as they come regardless of hype/reviews and was sorely disappointed in my first 3 hours with TLOU. I had read nothing about it as I had been looking forward to it (as a fan of Uncharted 1/2).

Wait till you play it, see if you don't feel a sense of 'where's the fun part'? They managed to reduce the gameplay to be the least important/fun part in the entire production. Way to go game makers.

A lot of reviews said The Last of Us started off slow. Maybe you only experienced the slow parts.

If you watch the game you get to hear the story and see some occasionally nice gfs without having the tedious lack of interaction while having to hold 'up' on the stick and press 'X' or triangle over and over for very little outcome.

Nevermind rent not buy, this is watch not play!