The Last of Us has real heart, but not much else

@ the author,

so, have you finished writing your 2/5 review for The Order 1886 ?
let me guess: the game will get a 2/5 score, because... the main character beard reminds you of someone special in your life... ? or is it because you can't double-jump ?
no no, i know! it's because the main character can't be seduced by a man ?
or is it because the game would be better, if set in new york, instead of london ?
wait wait, i know. the game is only 18-20 hours long!
no ? then, for sure, it's because colors are too grayish, orange, yellow and pink were never used during the whole story.
ok ?

I would give this game a 6.7
Its bonus's being decent visuals and smooth character animation.

I thought most of the dialogue was cringe worthy though, the narrative unoriginal, and the game play very sub par. There are examples of games as far as a decade before that didn't just pioneer many of these game play mechanics "i.e x ray vision/ quick time combat / moderate stealth/ hot key inventory/ convenient cover height world etc" but they did them much better.

It's almost like games are going backwards; throwing away elements that add to games and adding things that make it easier. TLOU is actually the strongest example I have of a poorly made game..an abrasive opinion perhaps formed over several years of experience with different games - and a healthy separation of biased nostalgia.

Having significant portions of game play consist of dramatically slowed walking movement on my characters part prior to a cutscene just to slog through endless cheesy dialogue is not what I consider masterful game design - in fact since it shows a design philosophy entirely romanticized with catering to the narrative..it is actually an absolute failure of game design, because it is imbalanced in this regard.

In video games our narrative should exist as a part of the world we experience - we should not be removed from it..forced either to skip cutscenes or put our controller down completely. Many famous film directors cite their distaste for video games primarily because of how cutscenes attempt to do so much..and in some regards succeed sure; but are completely and thematically nonsense because we are thrust back into an interactive experience "with varying degrees of action" where all of the true potential lies.

The game play is the core of a game - however unique that game play is, is up to the creators. Cutscenes should otherwise only exist as punctual symbolism..if a developer bases game play purely around reaching another bulky cutscene in order to watch the plot unfold..I consider this an extreme negative in a game. As a game as low as 6.5. As a visual experience, a story piece 9.4.

It tells a story very well and for certain people it is a genuine piece of work; where I interject my bias though is the quality of the story and narrative = 6.8.

I don't want to do the casual/hardcore thing, but this game fails as a game - I think honest dedicated gamers hardcore or not will have no interest in it or lose interest after a single run because it is simply not a well made game. For less committed people.who turn the console on every so often, play in short sessions before netflix maybe..? Its a great watching experience - it paces and tells a story very well.

Your review is bullshit.

One of my favorite games of all time. 10/10 for me. I love it so much that I've passed it about 6 times already. The multiplayer is also pretty fun.

Yep, not everyone is going to like everything. That being said, I loved this game. :P

faggot

GameSpot and Polygon...hahahahahaha your kidding right?

I really hope youre kidding here no critic get buy by nautghy dog the game is just far away the closest thing too perfect story acting graphic and most of all GAMEPLAY. You guys are one of the few only people who bash the gameplay. I play game for 20 years and the last of us got the most entertaining gameplay ever controll mouvement etc each time I play a game now im askinf myelf SHIT they should do like the last of us for the gameplay such is perfect. Even uncharted 4 is not that perfect... so speak for yourself young kid critic and almost 100% of user gave 10 and thats rare you should question yourself

Its not youre kind of game ok but that doesnt mean the game suck for christ sake. This game is far away the closest thing from perfection gameplay story graphic movement action infiltration weapon dialogue etc I just cant imagine people bashing one of the best game of all time. People bash on gameplay wtf the gameplay is one of the most perfect we never see the controll are perfect movement and evertthing. And trust me when I say im not a nautghy dig fan I never like uncharted cuz of the gameplay even the New one is not that great compared to the last of us I wished naughty dog improve the gameplay of uncharted 4 cuz they have learned with the last of us but no... so disapointed of uncharted 4.. so for the last of us everything is perfect in that game and I dont need to speak about every little aspect of the game cuz like I say EVERYTHING is perfect... that critic here is a total mess if its not youre type of game ok but as a journalist you need to be objective and beeing objective you just cannot put under 8/10 and even 8 is poor its at least a 9....

I dont know what you smoking but Heavy rain and beyond two soul are like a movie not tlou... tlou got lot of cinématic wich give the story.more intensity but theres lot more gaming than what you say here.... and please the gameplay is far away the best we never see. Go back to your mario btoa

I really hope youre kidding here no critic get buy by nautghy dog the game is just far away the closest thing too perfect story acting graphic and most of all GAMEPLAY. You guys are one of the few only people who bash the gameplay. I play game for 20 years and the last of us got the most entertaining gameplay ever controll mouvement etc each time I play a game now im askinf myelf SHIT they should do like the last of us for the gameplay such is perfect. Even uncharted 4 is not that perfect... so speak for yourself young kid critic and almost 100% of user gave 10 and thats rare you should question yourself. The critic from Tom is far away from objective I really dont see how anyone objective give that game a note under 8 and even 8 is poor. The story is perfect so far it doesnt need to be suuuuper original and complicated it can be very good without complicated and it is its far away the best scenario we never see... you like a crap like state of decay well now I understand a little hit why you speak like that of TLOU cuz when I read you i was asking myself if you were a troll or something now I see people like really bad game will critic a masterpiece especially a xbox fanboy

Well you say because furtivity is in gaming for more than 10 years we shoulndt have it in TLOU ? Most I read you most I learm from youre miserable brain. The furtivity aspect of tlou is again one of the best ever but its NOT a splinter cell so it will not be as intense but just enough for a survival horror. Furtivity in a action game is a must and TLOU deliver it perfectly. Metro is one of my favorite game ever but the Furtivity aspect is not complete as tlou. You cannot throw something to deconcentrate the guard... Dishonored same thing the furtivity aspects is not that great. But like I say I now understand why you speak like that before I read you completely I could not understand how can you bash gameplay and those aspect but now I know youre xbox fanboy. You speak really good about one of the most boring zombie game who got bad review and bash on a masterpiece like the last if us.

TLOU got absolutely nothing to do with COD are you that crazy man How dare can you just put those two game in the same sentence. " the same tired third person stealth/shooter " godamn it you ARE clearly a xbox fanboy man. Every game you shoot lot of game got furtivity lot og game got upgrade monster bad guy and all that that mean all game are the same.... thats youre stupid conclusion. TLOU is good,not because the gameplay is something we never see before anyway no game got something we never see before so youre comment is really unapropiate, because its controll are perfect and movement to the shooting system with old use gun is perfect. In résident evil you didnt got furtivity and just zombie eho walk... in TLOU you got more than that. Metro is really grreat but the shooting system is horrible and furtivity aspect not complete and story and graphic are 10000 time away from TLOU. Ahaj xbox fanboy you funny guy you dont like third person.shooter ok then dont play it cuz TLOU is far away one of the best and if youre not happy cuz its not something we never see before you should stop gaming right now cuz you got one game per 3 years who got something we never see before....

The funny thing here is even if you were right wich youre not, TLOU with is repetitive gameplay still then thousand time more interresting and funny than all those game you mentionned. You see now why an original gameplay doenst mean its good or better than one less original. Let me tell you this uncharted is the gameplay near tlou in video game and it got lof of différence so that just prove you how wrong you are when you say its repetitive xboxfanboy

Ellie is infected. That's why they don't see her as a target, but and ally. Same reason they aren't killing one another.

The reviewer's main issues with the game appear to be the difficulty of gameplay ("why don't I just turn it to easy already") and that it doesn't have unforgiving survival game consequences. Sounds like a bit of a contradiction. Walk into each situation cautiously and take full stock of your environment and situation before making a move. That's how every survival game plays out and how the gameplay is meant to be approached from a play style standpoint, hence why it is being toted by some many as a survival game still.

For any readers late in the game, don't hesitate to pick up a copy due to this review. I believe the reviewer should have given at least half a star more (75% instead of a crappy 60, based on even the flawed logic in the review).

Play the game and enjoy. Cheers.

Ugh, this review is exactly what I was afraid of after an hour two into this.

I couldn’t have put it as well as Tom, but after Uncharted 1, 2, and half of 3, now this, I don’t think Naughty Dog makes good video games. But they make stuff I want to see wrapped around bad video games. First world problems.

Hopefully you don’t give up. Just turn it to easy miss and enjoy the story & exploration.