The Last of Us has real heart, but not much else

Yeah, the amount of times I was digging through drawers 20ft from a clicker, just praying to find a scissor to make a shiv with… And so many rooms that were fully fleshed out, but did not even have any tools. Naughty Dog truly spent a lot of effort in crafting each and every environment.

The game definitely wasn’t perfect, but it was a hell of an experience. Patiently waiting for part 2.

Be sure to play the prologue also, if you haven’t already.

New trailer for the sequel:

This really should go in its own thread, not here. I’m not trying to be a thread cop, just thinking about the story. The existence of a sequel is a little bit of a spoiler to future hypothetical someone who is reading the thread. Of course, that future hypothetical someone would likely already know that from outside sources too, so I guess it doesn’t matter.

I love this game. Maybe the thing to get me to get a PS4. That and Horizon Zero Dawn.

I’m not thrilled that there is a sequel. I thought the first one ended perfectly. I thought it was the best game of the last generation and really elevated the form as an art. It wasn’t perfect and it was a little tedious in the middle but I think that was by design. Anyway I’m sure I will play the sequel, I just don’t think one is necessary.

At some point, i need to play through the first one. And, there’s even DLC for it. Probably won’t get to that. I think if i had to choose between more TLoS and more Uncharted, i’d have to go with more Uncharted, TLoS is intense enough as it is.

You should play through the first TLoS, and you should then check out the DLC. It’s very good, not just from a story perspective, but from a gameplay perspective. The main game’s gameplay is linear, and it works well for what the game is, but the DLC makes the gameplay more of a sandbox, and it’s really neat, and if you got through the main game, I think you’ll really dig it.

Don’t worry about the time commitment, this is one of those rare games where the time commitment is totally worth it.

I agree. Most games I’ve forgotten the plot points a few weeks after finishing it. This one I remember almost all of it.

Also worth noting it’s not really a big time commitment - this isn’t some sort of open world RPG here, it’s like 12-14 hours, with DLC, for most people.

TLoU is a generationally-good game, and everyone should play it.

I’ve played it twice now, and I’m going through it a third time since they gave us the HDR/PS4 Pro patch. So freaking awesome.

I finally got around to playing this last week (tried it last year, got stuck somewhere early and put it away for the Witcher 3). Now I restarted and absolutely loved it! Played and finished the whole game including the DLC in no time and was very impressed with the ending (of both). I have to admit I’m also hesitant as far as the sequel is concerned: I don’t think it needs a sequel, storywise. But if it is anywhere near as good as part 1, I will definitely play it!

I’ve watched a walkthrough and don’t want to play myself.
Why? I’ve already seen everething - from the plot to views and landscapes. And that is better then playing. Don’t wanna feel like I’m Ellie or Joel, that’s a bit… scary. All that atmosphere, and zombies… Don’t wanna be there.
Some games are better to be films.
Sure I’ll do the same with part 2.

Replaying this for the first time in about 5 years on the Pro. I gave my physical copy of the remastered version to my co-worker and he’s playing through it now. He’s about to have a little girl in a couple months so probably feeling a bit like I did on my first playthrough. What a journey! Sure hope they don’t blow the 2nd one.

I have so many backlogged big ticket PS4 games and this is one of them. I don’t really see myself getting a PS5 when there are so many games sitting on my disk i will eventually want try on the Pro.

I did play it for a bit on the PS4 non-pro? I think? Or… maybe the PS3? It seemed to have a great atmosphere with the Uncharted style gameplay, but it was a bit not what i wanted at the time and haven’t really come back to it.

I would say the moment to moment gameplay is the least attractive part of the game. I just love the story and the experience of going through it. Gut-wrenching at times but easily one of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had. We had just had our first daughter when I played it so that had a huge impact on me.

Unlike the Uncharted games, I really enjoyed the moment-to-moment gameplay in TLOU. Most of the time you’re exploring the environments, scavenging for items like bandages and such. When you do get into combat, it’s really hard and it’s brutal, or it’s a cakewalk. Not many games do that. It’s not polished to be the right difficulty at all times like most modern games. It feels dangerous even when it’s really easy because you could be at a difficulty spike at any moment. Additionally, all that scavenging and exploration and combat all folds in perfectly with the narrative and the setting. There’s no cognitive dissonance equivalent of Nathan Drake or Lara Croft being a mass murderer.

I think the problem i had with the game was that games with very scarce items tend to evoke something like a starvation complex in me where i hoard them and never use them, to the point where i’ll replay a level over and over instead of using them, because otherwise there might be something over the next narrative hill where i really needed them.

Another problem was stepping away from the game caused me to forget how to play. Certain controls
were unintuitive and if i left the game for a month or two at a hard section i remember basically being so stuck i needed to restart the game from the beginning to relearn how to play again.

Yeah, I have that problem with a lot of games, forgetting the controls when I step away for a while. Luckily I rented TLOU Remastered, instead of buying it. So there was time pressure to finish it and return it, which worked in my favor. I will buy the game anyway one day because I do want to play through it again, but for a first playthrough, for some games it can be really helpful if you’re renting because it’s a constant reminder that you need to finish it and not get distracted by other games.