The Last of Us - Naughty Dog's Next

Part 1 reviews dropped today, but Digital Foundry’s exhaustive video on the update feels like all you really need. It’s a pretty comprehensive look at how significant the update is:

Maybe don’t watch if you’ve never played before, though.

Thanks for this, I was waiting on it. I’ll check it asap.

I’m torn on this as I do want to play it again and am sorely tempted to buy it a third time (honestly, I’d love an excuse for a second play through of Last of Us II and replaying this would do it) but it’s a lot to invest in a game I’ve already play through twice (PS3 and then the PS4 Remaster), though this does seem worth the price of admission. And it’s been long enough I’d probably enjoy the updated gameplay and story beats all over again, so like I said, tempted…

Reading this review made me feel really old.

It’s from someone who thought themselves a kid when they originally played the game, and now an adult game reviewer 9 years later.

What have they done with the Left Behind DLC in this remake? Has it been integrated into the main game, or is it still a standalone chapter?

I believe it is still a stand alone chapter, but is a prequel story so integrating it into the main story is a bit tricky.

Ok, good to know, but it is not really a prequel - it is an extra chapter set within the story in which Ellie has flashbacks to a time before the main story starts. I thought they might take the opportunity to build it in - for example like the Deus Ex Human Revolution Director’s Cut integrated the previously standalone Missing Link DLC.

Oh, sorry, it’s been years since I played it!

That’s right. I remember two stories and was wondering why there was only one DLC. That makes sense. I remember it was great, but I was a huge fan of the original.

Anyone bite on this? I’m tempted. I’m hoping to finally finish my playthrough of Elden Ring this weekend (been playing since launch though not consistently) and this might be a nice to revisit.

No PS5, but I definitely plan on getting it on PC when that comes out. I came reasonably close to purchasing a PS4 just to play it back in the day, but I really want mouse+keyboard controls.

If you weren’t a huge fan of the original, I don’t think the improvements here will change that.

I AM a huge fan of the original, but I’m not so sure it’s worth revisiting yet. It hasn’t been very long. I think I played it in 2015? It’s still very fresh in my mind.

I’d just like to apologize to @DeepT for my false answer to his question back in 2014. I should have replied “in about 9 years”.

I’m a fan of the original as well, but I haven’t played it since release. I’m halfway tempted to get the remake. Maybe with holiday sales.

Here were my thoughts on that back in 2014 when I finished the DLC:

I’ll just have to trust past me on this one, because I don’t remember the exact details. But reading my old posts, it’s coming back to me now.

Played the intro last night (maybe an hour total) - looks amazing. I only barely played LOU remake on PS4 - so far what I’ve seen is stuff I’ve already done but I’m absolutely loving it as a person largely going into this story new. Graphics are amazing running in performance mode. Dualsense haptics are very cool and apparently it uses the adaptive triggers later.

Really impressed so far!

It’s not a matter of whether I will get it, it’s a matter of whether I will spend $70 on it this weekend.

Spoiler: I probably will.

Such a great gaming experience. I loved it. Enjoy!

I bought it. Played the first couple of hours. God, that first scene is even more harrowing now.

I picked it as well yesterday and had the same gut punch from the opening, despite this being my third play through. This is also incredibly gorgeous, especially playing on an OLED I didn’t have last time I played.

PC version delayed a few weeks. March 28th now.

Might need Returnal to fill the gap…