The Last Remnant on PC soon won't even be that

Title The Last Remnant on PC soon won't even be that
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When August 24, 2018

The PC version of The Last Remnant is going away. According to the publisher, the game will be pulled off Steam and physical stores on September 4th in the United States and European Union, and September 5th in Japan..

Read the full article

It’s a flawed game, but it’s also great in many ways, its unique combat system being perhaps the best part. I can’t think of any game quite like it, and it’s a game I’ll reinstall every once in a while to replay, so it saddens me to see it becoming unavailable for sale like that. It’s a game I’d buy again on GOG in a heartbeat.

Huh. I went to check if they were offering it on some special “leaving the store” sale, only to find I already owned it. I think I might have a problem with an overly large Steam library. I’ll have to give this a spin, sometime.

I apparently own it and played 4 hours of it. I don’t remember it though. Looks like that was back in 2013.

I had the same thought. I don’t own it, and Steam says it’s $10.

I don’t think I’d ever play it though, so it’s easy to pass up.

It seemed very very generic when I tried it on 360 (apart from the weird battle system) so I would pass, personally. That said, I am pretty sure I own it on Steam anyway, because I am weak.

Interesting and unique combat system that deserved another iteration.
Awful character progression system that basically required a strategy guide to do anything.
Poor story.

That about sums it up.

It’s combat system was… Strange. It had indirect control in many senses. You didn’t know which command would make people do specific spells/moves, it was almost never guaranteed, but even worse then that - availability of commands changes depending on distance and mood (seriously) of a unit, and you can’t predict that at all. So to me it felt mostly like an excercise in pre-battle preparedness; if you bring people with spells and techniques you need and nothing else then the fight plays itself. It also had a nice system of chaining enemy encounters - if you’re powerful enough you can get on several monsters at the same time and you’ll be fine.

It also had bizarre quest/recruitment/trade system requiring you to visit the same places again and again and talk to people.

Anyway, still strange it disappears.

I’ve been waiting for this on Xbone BC, wonder it it will never happen now?

Looks like Square Enix is actually just up to fairly typical shenanigans.

Wait, they were removing it from other stores so that it becomes a PlayStation exclusive? Brilliant!

All that’s left is an Infinite Undiscovery remaster for PS4 to wash the 360 JRPG failures out of Square’s mouth.