The latest in sleep research

I spent time in a coma. It’s not all its cracked up to be.

I spent time in a coma. It’s not all its cracked up to be.[/quote]

Ouch, sorry.
Oh, hey, did you dream then?

Ouch, sorry.
Oh, hey, did you dream then?[/quote]

Don’t be sorry, it’s kind of a joke. :D Thought Bill, Union, or Crypt needed more comedy material. :wink:

But yes I did spend a month in a coma for real. I had a lung infection that got out of control. I had one dream that lasted the entire time and it was pretty terrifying. I dreamt our city had been hit by a nuclear weapon and half the hospital had been decimated. The real-life crying from my parents and sisters was incorprated into my dream the only way my dream could make it fit - nuclear that had killed some of our friends and family. In reality when they’d wheel me down to x-ray, surgery, CAT scan, or to drain my lungs - in my dream I was being wheeled into a different wing of the hospital and the room was damaged. Half the room was exposed to the open air of winter (all those rooms were very cold). Once again, the brain tried to figure things out best it could and that’s how it was intepreted. When I came off the ventilator (I de-intubated myself) when I awoke from the coma I was in ICU. I didn’t sleep for about 8 straight days cause I was afraid If I slept, I’d never wake up again. I was not ready for another dream like that. So when someone is in a coma and you talk to them, play familiar music, or anything else - it absolutely can make an impact.

Wow.

Wow thats fucked up.

Anyone remember Nowhere Man? There’s a couple episodes when he’s completely unable to sleep due to some neurological change they induced at some point while rewiring his brain. Those were easily some of the most depressing episodes of the series… after he’s captured, they would induce sleep for only a few seconds then wake him back up again, then grill him for information, rinse and repeat. Keep in mind this is a guy who’s been awake for over a week. Man, talk about suck.

I miss Nowhere Man…

I didn’t say coma. You do not dream in coma, at least thats what I have been told. The REM cycles never happen.

Are you sure it was coma and you were not just asleep for 8 days? I thought people in Coma’s had completly differant brain patterns then people who are simply asleep.

I have been very sick a few times in my life and have what I guess are called fever dreams. They are very exhausting. There is a common theme, I am trying to build something or repair something very big. I am trying to organize other workers to help and get people doing what they need to do to bring the situation under control. Maybe they are just dreams, or maybe in a way I am helping direct the defense and/or repairs to my body.

Duuuude, dude was in a coma, dude told us what it was like, this dude is pretty sure that frood knows where his towel is at.

Ouch, sorry.
Oh, hey, did you dream then?[/quote]

Don’t be sorry, it’s kind of a joke. :D Thought Bill, Union, or Crypt needed more comedy material. :wink:

But yes I did spend a month in a coma for real. I had a lung infection that got out of control. I had one dream that lasted the entire time and it was pretty terrifying. I dreamt our city had been hit by a nuclear weapon and half the hospital had been decimated. The real-life crying from my parents and sisters was incorprated into my dream the only way my dream could make it fit - nuclear that had killed some of our friends and family. In reality when they’d wheel me down to x-ray, surgery, CAT scan, or to drain my lungs - in my dream I was being wheeled into a different wing of the hospital and the room was damaged. Half the room was exposed to the open air of winter (all those rooms were very cold). Once again, the brain tried to figure things out best it could and that’s how it was intepreted. When I came off the ventilator (I de-intubated myself) when I awoke from the coma I was in ICU. I didn’t sleep for about 8 straight days cause I was afraid If I slept, I’d never wake up again. I was not ready for another dream like that. So when someone is in a coma and you talk to them, play familiar music, or anything else - it absolutely can make an impact.[/quote]

OH SNAP jp told a funny! That was awesome.

Most of my dreams are anxiety-related. Recurring themes include:

-the brakes on my truck don’t work
-I’m driving up a hill so steep, my truck tips over backwards
-I’m trying to bang a hot chick but there’s too much shit on my bed
-I’m in a 7-11 trying to find the perfect selection of treats
-I can’t dial afucking phone number
-And the obligatory Oops I’m back in school and missed a whole class scenario.

I also often dream I’m playing this TOTALLY RAD computer game but when I wake up, I always remember it as a late-80s era RPG (except when I was playing Half Life or Doom3 at the time, the dreams had better graphics!).

… is this literally ? :shock:

-the brakes on my truck don’t work

I have had that one a few times. Man it freaks me out every time.

I don’t understand the psycho-babble of the original article. However, it seems to be saying that our dreams are like psychotic episodes and that they aren’t necessarily relevant to our everyday thoughts? Am I right about the latter, because that just doesn’t sound right at all, and I can give you TONS of anecdotal evidence that suggests many of my dreams are extensions of fears and anxieties I have based on my actual life.

I’ve had this one a couple of times. It’s always on the freeway for some reason and instead of tipping over, my car starts to roll backwards.

I found the article confusing, because the author or editor leaves out a lot of definitions that seem important. I think the author is stating that dreams do regularly contain psychotic-like content, but he doesn’t specify whether this content is relevant to everyday life. The psychotic delusions of folks with schizophrenia often contain some connection to real-world events; they just draw inaccurate conclusions, or make illogical leaps to non-sensical stuff.

For what it’s worth, Freud observed that many dreams start with recent waking situations or circumstances, although they may veer off into more abstract scenes.

I used to work at a supermarket in my highschool and early colledge days. In the break room people would chat about this and that, and on occasion dreams came up. One thing I noticed that struck me as odd was the striking differeance between what males dream about and what females dream.

For women it was mostly about normal real world stuff. Dreams were about meeting people, going to known places, and a lot of social elements. Nightmares were about axe weilding maniacs, stalkers and the like. All very human nemesis.

Males on the otherhand, rarely had dreams about normal real world stuff. They were on spaceships, underwater, in some fantasy or sci-fi type area. Bad dreams included monsters (opposed to humans), meteors raining down, alien invasions, disasters of biblical proportions, etc…

I wonder if this trend is generally true and if so, why it is true.

I didn’t say coma. You do not dream in coma, at least thats what I have been told. The REM cycles never happen.

Are you sure it was coma and you were not just asleep for 8 days? I thought people in Coma’s had completly differant brain patterns then people who are simply asleep.

I have been very sick a few times in my life and have what I guess are called fever dreams. They are very exhausting. There is a common theme, I am trying to build something or repair something very big. I am trying to organize other workers to help and get people doing what they need to do to bring the situation under control. Maybe they are just dreams, or maybe in a way I am helping direct the defense and/or repairs to my body.[/quote]

Yes you can dream in a coma. The cycle of events in my dream directly related to what was going on over a period of weeks in ICU.

Bill, I have these too:

-the brakes on my car don’t work
-I can’t dial afucking phone number

but this is so gross I hope it doesn’t ruin my good girl dreams - blech

-I’m trying to bang a hot chick but there’s too much shit on my bed

I also have a dream where I’m falling - but thankfully after more than a couple seconds I realize it can’t possibly be real, so I get to have fun flying around the rest of the time I’m asleep.

When I was 4-5 years old I used to dream about Dinosaurs (which scared me). When I got a book about dinos and thought they were really cool I never dreamed about them again… I was pissed. It was really cool having a Brontosaurus in the backyard.

Snowcrash - you have these side effects from just from missing 1 days worth???

I will wake up drenched in sweat at least three times shivering with exhaustion
I had no idea the body became so dependant.

I wonder if there’s actually a striking difference between what men and women dream about or whether there’s a difference between what most men and women find socially acceptable to share?

That is to say, if you’re a dude and you dream about being Rambo and machine-gunning down a bunch of bad guys, that’s cool… but if you’re a chick and dream you’re Rambo and machine-gun a bunch of baddies YOU’RE NOT FEMININE or some such.

Anyway, I know I have dreams I’d never share all the details of with a bunch of co-workers and I often wonder how much of what people say they dream is authentic and how much is edited for public consumption.

My variation is that I forgot to study for a test, or forgot to do homework. It’s the only recurring dream I have, and I hate it. I always wake up desperately relieved not to be a student anymore.

On a related note, the dreams are probably influenced a lot by the kind of entertainment that people indulge in. Of those women, how many do you suppose were nerds? Whereas I’m sure most if not all of the guys had at least been exposed to several works of fiction where important liberties are taken with the way the world works.

Used to miss school in the dream.
Then I missed finals.
Now I miss court dates.