The latest Patreon review requests are in! And the winner is...

This used to be a video.  I would ask my $10 or more Patreon supporters to request reviews.  Then I would sit in front of a video camera, read the requests, offer a counter-recommendation for each of them, and draw a winner.  But my ability to do video is limited these days, so as you can see, this is not a video.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2020/07/09/the-latest-patreon-review-requests-are-in-and-the-winner-is/

There’s a New Rose Hotel movie. I remember not hating it, but it was a while ago.

Oh, man, you should totally watch Black Books. If you want a frame of reference, it’s very much in the Spaced or Father Ted school of sitcoms. Speaking of which, you should totally have watched it before it turned out that Graham Linehan is a bigoted arsehole.

Also curious to know what turned you off about S2 of Patriot

I’m not a $10 contributor so maybe I don’t get to play along, but I’d counter-counter recommend the movie Hearts Beat Loud as a really great Nick Offerman dad role.

Tom Wrote: Counter-recommendation: I totally support the world of laser-elfs! And I feel like I should know who She-Ra is. Isn’t she, like, Beastmaster’s lady friend of something? She rides around on a zebra? She’s played by Tanya Roberts? Or is that Xena: Warrior Princess? As you tell, Armando, fantasy princesses from the 80s is not a Jeopardy category I would choose. My counter-recommendation is my favorite princess movie, Brave. It’s my favorite for a number of reasons, but I think the main reason is that it has a subversive message for a princess movie: maybe the Queen knows what’s best, after all. Have you seen Brave? In which case, my counter-recommendation is to see it again.

I had actually been meaning to watch Brave for quite some time, so consider it moved way up the list. And, fwiw, I think She-Ra does some interesting twists on the usual princess/queen formula (and burrows down deep into some other tropes there, as well; it knows its origins and isn’t ashamed of them). But a dear friend’s recommended Brave enough times that I’m starting to feel like a Disney villain by not having watched it yet :)

This is me giving you side eye Armando.

It isn’t my favorite, that goes to Moana, but Brave is damn fantastic. It also gets bonus points from me because the lead is a spunky redhead, and looks a lot like my daughter for it :)

She-Ra is the best show ever and I will never feel ashamed :P

But Brave looks and sounds great. I had kinda figured on the Disney re-Renaissance starting up with Zootopia, Moana, and Coco all back-to-back (yeah yeah Coco’s Pixar, whatever), but having recently gone back and watched, and really adored, Frozen, I’m thinking there’s probably more great stuff I’ve missed from the All-Devouring Mouse.

I mean setting aside Pixar, which has had fantastic movies all through, yeah you did.

Seriously, I can’t say enough about Pixars skill at telling stories without words. The opening of both Wall-E and Up stand, to me, as some of the finest visual storytelling of this century period.

For ones worth seeking you may have skipped then, Frog Princess and Tangled (both very good, if less spectacular than the later Moana and Zootopia), and Big Hero 6 and Wreck it Ralph. The later two fully stand out for me, and I know you would enjoy both tremendously.

They are very up your alley.

Luckily I did do a better job keeping up with Pixar, so I caught both Wall-E and Up (I’ll never forgive them for the opening segment of that damn movie :( ). And actually did watch Frog Princess as a sort of “end of an era” thing, and really loved it. Was very glad to hear it was getting some extra placement at Disney World soon by replacing the theming of another ride.

But yeah, never saw Tangled, Brave, Big Hero 6, Wreck it Ralph, and missed some Pixar fare, too, like Inside Out and Toy Story 4. Hopefully they’re all on Disney+ or Netflix!

They are. In fact it was the early release of Toy Story 4 on Disney+ that let us see it.

Watch Inside Out now. NOW!

It will probably make you sad at points, it is very melancholy at times, but is one of Pixars best.

She-Ra is surprisingly good. I’ve also thought the Carmen Sandiego reboot and Dragon Prince were similarly themed and qualitied fare for kids.

Ah, Sacrifice is such a gem. I played it back when it was first out and have replayed it a couple of times since. I think of it fairly regularly.

Anathem is the best Neal Stephenson book I have read, by which I mean it actually has an ending and an absolute minimum of torturous similes.

Instead of reviewing Lost Highway, you should review Martha Nochimson’s book on it and some of his others (and the first one while you’re at it). I still don’t think she’s seen the Whole Lynch, but she’s definitely miles ahead of most who call themselves critics, especially nowadays when the analysis available largely seems so, so shallow (present company excepted).

I could have sworn that I requested that you read Blindsight. Maybe I put the comment in the wrong thread?

Black Books is brilliant, simply brilliant…

He should have sent you a private message on Patreon and you’re supposed to reply to that with your recommendation. Blindsight is an awesome recommendation, too, so I hope it can be a late entry or, at worst, up next time.

Spectacular cast, too. Dylan Moran, Tamsin Grieg, Bill Bailey, Peter Serafinowicz, Simon Pegg…

So it turns out that people who reply to the email notification of the Patreon message send an email off into the ether at [email protected]. You have to login to Patreon to reply using their shitty PM system. I’ll make this more clear in the future as I didn’t realize it was happening until this round of requests. :(

But we can fix this! Email me, PM me, or somehow forward me what you sent about Blindsight and I’ll edit it into the list and make sure to include it in the drawing, which I haven’t been able to do yet.

-Tom

Ah! I will do so. Thanks.

I think that is what I did also. I’ll send you a PM.

What is we are suppose to do in the future?

You guys are confusing me because Brave is a Pixar film. It’s really good too. It was the first Pixar film after Cars 2 (iirc) that didn’t get an incredibly high rotten tomatoes score though.