The latest Patreon review requests are in! And the winner is...

Ouch.

It’s true, though.

I downright loathed Blindsight when I read it over six years ago, but I don’t think a week’s gone by since then that I haven’t thought about it, recommended it to someone, or used something that I learned from it in a conversation. It might be my favorite thing that I don’t actually like?

But I do actually like the new She-Ra quite a bit. I think it’s a great study in queerness, abuse, trauma, and the audacity of trying to will a better world into being. I have absolutely no idea how Tom would react to it, which makes me curious to see it, of course.

Funny. What didn’t you like about it, a.) and why do you recommend it to people, b.)?

I found it far too cynical and smug, with a world that barely hung together and often seemed purpose-built for Watts to bring up whatever articles he’d happened to have read in a scientific journal. I also read it only a few months after Iain Banks, one of my favorite authors, passed, and that didn’t help matters.

But also Watts has some incredibly interesting ideas about biology, psychology, and the nature of (un)consciousness as the intersection of the two. He manages to make his aliens really and truly alien (a difficult task in any medium) and challenged me on my preconceived notions of what “intelligent life” can look like.

Or just skip season 1, as he had nothing to do with season 2 or 3 so you can watch them without guilt. For now. No doubt it will turn out that Bill Bailey has some dark, dark secrets.

This is great feedback because I would have never considered Sacrifice!! I’ll pick it up next Steam sale.

Also, I enjoy both the videos and the written posts. One of the best parts of this process is discovering new and cool things other Qt3’ers want reviewed. The videos are great for all the impromptu asides and the fireside chat feeling. The posts make it easy to refer back to something.

Now excuse me while I spam light tanks to harass ore trucks and refuse to evolve.

[edited for clarity]

So very much this.

I would get it on GOG.

Kolbex, I owe you a debt of thanks. Haven’t signed in on GOG for a while and I am surprised to report that I own Sacrifice!

Nice, just gotta find time to play it now!

Alex Chapman won! Secret Government.

Survivors is pretty decent 70s British tv. Its not science fiction but it is post apocalyptic.

It’s got to be heaps better than Whoops!

Tom’s a damn fine writer, especially when he comes up with these zingers like this.

To be honest, I’m not watching a video on this subject, but happily read this post and consider his wise counter-recommendations.

Ok so who is the winner?

Sorry, the randomness of the universe seems to choo-choo-choose me again.

@Chappers is the best at winning!

I think it’s clear that we need a second contest for Alex to pick our recommendations to submit as HIS recommendations to Tom.

Do I need to setup my own patreon ;)

It’s Patreons all the way down!

I’m not a Patron but I thought I’d point out that Imperial Struggle also has a Tabletop Simulator mod.