The Lawn Mowing Thread - Or, Caring For Your Grass

Cool! I love clover. Now, what about these small vines that keep growing in my yard! What’s the deal with them?

Yep we have tons of bee’s enjoying the clover in our yard, I manually pull the dandelions though.

I… had completely forgotten about clover. Holy crap. I haven’t seen it in ages, but yeah, it was all over when I was a kid. /mindblown

Creeping Charlie. Looks pretty when it’s in bloom, but invasive, and aggressive, and hard to get rid of, I’ll tell you hwat.

Does the headlight work?

OK, that got a very solid chuckle.

Sounds like a spell from Harry Potter

As with many other things, blame the Victorians.

There was a good Adam Ruins Everything segment on “why lawns” but it’s not online where I can find it, but here’s a Freakonomics radio episode about it you can listen to while you mow:

Our current house has virtually no grass. Happy to not need mowing (have had a big lawn before) but the downside is one of our dogs has a tendency to get utterly filthy.

We have an offer in on a new place and it does have some grass, but not so much a decent electric wouldn’t make short work of it, I’ve been really happy with the Ryobi 18v tools I bought recently. Might look at their 40v mower.

Living where I do, I have watered the lawn maybe twice, and that was to put down some anti weed stuff once. Maybe when it gets hot, and I have the kiddy pool out, there will be lots of water around.

But, besides that, and mowing, I refuse to do anything else with the lawn. It lives and dies by the weather.

I thought the idea of lawn came from the British, where grass suits the climate. No hot summers, no months of snow cover, a nice steady drizzle…

Yeah, our lawn (Northeast, so appropriate weather) is basically “green stuff what survives on its own”. I mow it (a mulching mower) when it’s too long, and maybe water it if it’s a weekend and it’s especially brown looking, but otherwise it’s pretty hands off. It’s like, half grass, half other things. We have a lot of clover and wild (non edible) strawberry looking things. Theres a whole patch of some kind of buttercup that might be invasive, that I keep my eye on, but that’s about it. The idea of actively tending it to keep it looking like a soccer pitch or fairway is kind of bizarre to me.

So our lawn is basically just a very small field that I keep mowed short enough so that it isn’t itchy to play in. My kids do pull a kiddy pool out pretty frequently during the summer, so we get some watering from that, I guess.

There are wild rabbits in our neighborhood who seem to like the clover and wild plantain, and I’d rather have them than a perfect lawn (although really, for me, not worrying about the lawn is its own reward). I think I’ve seen a burrow in our back yard a couple times. We don’t have any real garden to fight with them about, and our dog keeps them from getting too comfortable, so we coexist nicely.

Also, there’s a bunch of wild chives/onion grass that grow everywhere, and my kids love eating that, so want to keep them organic and free range.

They don’t taste that bad.

Day one of my morning mowing routine. Got the front done, which is a little over a third of the garden. The electric mower is super light, so I could do a lot of it without too much trouble. And since it’s pretty quiet, no worries about the neighbors.

I figure I would do a little over a third a day, and just rotate through it all, while taking a break on the weekends.

Looks like a fantastic start! Good luck!

Now you need an electric edger to go with the mower 😄

I have one, I just hate doing it. It’s a stupid cheap one that requires an extension cord, so it’s a pain in the ass. I’ll get to it on Thursday (I should have the whole garden mowed by then).

Man, you guys are having so much fun. It sucks to have a HOA that hires gardeners. Well, at least I have my pressure washer. Driveway this weekend, if the rain stops.

Bought my first ever recently. 18v Ryobi 12”. Pretty easy to use and I got it for 65 bucks.