The Legend Of Tarzan

Ah… I had started a thread when the trailer hit, but I guess this board hasn’t been the target demographic. Apparently it played well with women (abs! abs! Noble savage lovestruck billionaire to the rescue! abs) and over 35’s (who are maybe getting tired of exploding New Yorks at the theatre).

I was already intimately aware of the effects, but the story part was new to me when I saw it at our cast&crew, and for the most part I liked it well enough. I thought the flashback to Tarzan’s origin was succinct and contextually important, but felt way too tacked-on to an already overly long exposition. And I was hoping for more interesting reveal to Opar than the crater-mountain, considering what it is to the novels and comics.

But as a (re)introduction to Tarzan to a mainstream audience, I thought it ticked all the boxes in a competent, if contained, manner. I’d’ve preferred a more intimate plot, more wonder and less politics, but beggars can’t be choosers when it comes to Tarzan. But yeah, no idea where they’d take a sequel to this one, if it played better to women, and the plot is already on to babies… what am I saying, that’s exactly the setup of The Beasts of Tarzan.