The LEGO Batman Movie, in theaters 2017

OK folks, sounds like maybe we could use a palate cleanser from watching Batman and Superman beat each other up (I assume, I haven’t actually seen that movie) so looks like the folks that made The LEGO Movie are giving us a maybe-kinda-almost sequel with the LEGO Batman Movie, focused as you might imagine on Will Arnett’s Batman. There’s even a trailer you can check out! I’m thinking this might be my son’s first theatrical movie experience, so you bet I’m looking forward to it.

And hey look, already a second trailer already!

Speaking of, Arnett did Everything is Awesome on Lip Sync Battles. Which is totally the reason you should watch that episode and not at all Alison Brie’s performance of Bang Bang, no sir.

Yay. I wish I’d watched that trailer 75 times instead of watching Batman v Superman once.

I will enjoy this, too many superhero movies come up, good to have a comedy version to cool things. :)

SDCC trailer:

“I am fighting a few different people. I like to fight around.”

Lego Batman continues being the best Batman.

I like that they time these trailer drops for just when I forget this movie exists. This looks great.

I thought it was weird this hadn’t been bumped for so long & now that it’s been out in theaters for 2 weekends - but after watching it I can see that few people would be excited to come & comment on it.

I think I could count on one hand the number of new jokes that wasn’t in the trailer. I felt the movie was the equivalent of Thomas Covenant - a character is so broken for so much of the movie that it just plodded along (after the awesome intro) despite all the other characters trying to help out.

It’s really too bad as the trailer was so awesome. I feel like a bait & switch not unlike Suicide Squad.

I just see this yesterday myself, so this is kind of my first chance to comment. I liked it better than Tman though it wasn’t nearly as good as The Lego Movie -, it didn’t really hold any surprises for me, the sophisticated moviegoer.

But this was also my son’s first moviegoing experience - his first box of popcorn, his first theatrical event. He laughed a bunch and really enjoyed the movie. So overall, thumbs up for me.

I think the first 15-20min was some of the hardest I’ve laughed in a movie in a long time - probably since the first one. It slowed down a LOT after that point, which was a bit disappointing, but there was no way to keep that going for 1.5hours. I agree it wasn’t quite on par with the first movie (because that was so out of left field and unexpected), I still thought it was pretty great.

Another vote for “pretty good, but that was no LEGO Movie”.

Love taking the kid…dont care how bad I like or hate the movie…if the kid laughs and has fun…all golden!

Oh and Galifinakas turns in the blandest Joker performance I can remember. I mean I know they can’t all be Hamill, but this was flat and unremarkable in every way. No menace, no whimsy, no mania.

Which is weird because Chip Baskets is a great clown!

While I enjoyed this movie, I felt it suffered a bit because it was so focused on just a few characters.

What made The LEGO Movie so unexpectedly great is that it was a crazy, manic ensemble picture that bounced around gleefully to dozens of interesting characters. Remember the invisible jet scene with Wonder Woman, for example?

Narrowing the scope to just Batman (and his close friends) made the movie drag a bit at times for me. Sure, you’ll see a zillion Bat-enemies, Bat-friends, and all that, but the Bat-theming (and the Bat-angst) becomes kind of … a limiting factor on the overall proceedings.

Still a solid movie, I’d give it 8/10, but it’s not the joyous 10/10 that you might be expecting from the last LEGO movie.

Well said.

I loved that this movie actually mentioned all the other Batman movies. It’s like they brought in all the various Batmans into this singular universe and connected them all using Lego Batman.