The Life Aquatic

Please, oh please world, keep spinning long enough for us to witness Wes Anderson’s fourth feature film:

The Life Aquatic

I love how Anderson seems to have gathered a loyal circle of actors for his films. Bill Murray is back, as is Angelica Huston, and (of course), Owen Wilson, with the obligatry Kumar Pallana as well. But new faces this time out include Willem Defoe and Cate Blanchett, and Bud Cort for all you old school movie fans.

Also worthy of note: Owen Wilson isn’t co-writing this time around. Instead, there’s a new co-writer, Noah Baumbach. I’ve always wondered how much of Rushmore was Wilson and how much was Anderson, so it’ll be interesting to see how this will affect things.

Aintitcool already has a script review which has some spoilers in it (damn them for not warning of the spoilers). But the gist is that it’s actually more of an “adventure” movie and it’s less “Royal Tenenbaums at sea.”

Also worthy of note: Owen Wilson isn’t co-writing this time around. Instead, there’s a new co-writer, Noah Baumbach. I’ve always wondered how much of Rushmore was Wilson and how much was Anderson, so it’ll be interesting to see how this will affect things.

Both Anderson and Wilson have admitted that Wilson didn’t really have all that much to do with the Royal Tenenbaums script, so that question’s been mostly answered. Wilson’s main contribution to the Tenenbaums script was the character he played and not much else.

That’s fitting. Given the outsider nature of that character. I can’t wait for this new one. When’s it due?

The one thing I remember is reading Anderson saying that Owen has grown in leaps and bounds as a writer, so I always thought he had a bit more to do with Royal Tenenbaums.

Filming just began in Europe. So probably late next year.

Hell yeah! Trailer has arrived!
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808562850&cf=trailer

Looks great! What is going on with the little CGI critters, though?

Man, I busted a gut from the very opening.

Are they CGI? I know that Wes wanted to go completely retro for the effects, including stop-motion photography. You can see it in the one sub scene. I’m chalking it up to the crappy nature of the stream, but maybe they are CGI.

Already got some great lines:

“We’re going on an illegal suicide mission.”

-“What is the scientific purpose of killing the shark?”
-“Revenge.”

We saw The Life Aquatic at a preview screening about a month and a half ago. It’s pretty much “Royal Tenenbaums at sea.”

Sorry to take the wind out of your sails–so to speak–but on the whole I was disappointed. Not that there weren’t funny moments. There were. And keep in mind this was a test screening, so some stuff will change. It’s just that, while I’m a huge Anderson fan, I think it’s a little early in his career to be doing retreads of his own films.

“Piranhas are a very tricky species.”

-Amanpour

“Wait, wait, what are we doing here?”

-Tom

BTW–Noah Baumbach’s first film as a director, Kicking And Screaming, is actually pretty good. The dialogue is fantastic, in fact.

Unfortunately, he’s been alarmingly uneven after that.

Grover: “Oh, I’ve been to Prague. Well, I haven’t been to Prague been to Prague but I know that whole thing. Stop shaving your armpits, read the unbearable lightness of being, ‘now I know how bad American coffee is’, thing.”

Jane: “Beer.”

Grover: “Huh?”

Jane: (argumentive) “Beer. They have good beer there.”

Grover: “…know how bad American beer is, thing.”

Max: “You didn’t tell me it was your birthday tomorrow…”

Katie: “I’m gonna be 17.”

Max: “Huh. I guess now you can read the magazine and get all the references.”

I loved, loved, loved it. Felt it was far better than Tennenbaums. Tthere’s an actual plot this time around, as opposed to a lot of whimsical characters. Oh, there’s still a ton of whimsy, and the plot is very flimsy, but this movie is wonderful in that Wes Anderson kind of way.

I still think Rushmore is the best, but I loved Bill Murray in this flick. Another great portrait of melancholy.

Far too many gems to mention, but I cracked up when I saw the “Air Kentucky” bag on Ned’s shoulder. And the omnipresent Glocks, and the SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Pirates boarding the ship was hilarious.

I too loved this movie. I can’t understand the mixed reviews it’s getting, but then again I’ve been generally disgusted with the state of film criticism for some time, so perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised.

Anderson’s films always need a couple of viewings for everything to really sink in, but I found this much more immediately enjoyable than The Royal Tennenbaums was. It’s not quite as good as Rushmore, but then again what is?

For film nuts, there’s two really great reasons to see this: Bud “Harold And Maude” Cort is in it, and it was filmed at Rome’s Cinecitta studios, where Fellini made the bulk of his movies. The set of the ship alone is worth the price of admission.

How To Roast

My mom and dad, who are very snobby when it comes to movies, walked out after about 30 minutes they said. Neither of them liked Tennenbaums (which I loved), but really enjoyed Rushmore and Bottlerocket.

When I saw them after they came back from the movie my dad said “Yeah, it sucked. You’d love it.” haha.

I loved the movie too. The last sequence in the submarine (that fits only six people but has about 15 in there) was just great. Its another one of those movies where nothing is certain and you never know what is going to happen. Besides all that, it was goddam funny. Best out of context line has to be: “This is gonna hurt.”

Clearly, this is a role that only Bill Murray could pull off. But the stealer of the show has got to be Willem Dafoe, the lovable suck-up leader of B-squad. :lol:

And Bowie music in Portuguese! Who thinks of that?

ok, I really like Bill Murry. I also really HATE Rushmore. Worse movie ever? Probably. However The Life Aquatic looks interesting. I may brave this film but I have doubts about not wasting 3 hours of my life…

30 minutes too long. Portuguese covers were brilliant. If they are on the soundtrack, I will buy it.

Don’t bother. If you really think Rushmore was the “worst movie ever” (what possible context could such a statement have, I wonder? Worse than Hot Dog: The Movie? Worse than KISS Meets The Phantom? Worse than Battlefield: Earth?), I can’t imagine you’d like The Life Aquatic.

Don’t bother. If you really think Rushmore was the “worst movie ever” (what possible context could such a statement have, I wonder? Worse than Hot Dog: The Movie? Worse than KISS Meets The Phantom? Worse than Battlefield: Earth?), I can’t imagine you’d like The Life Aquatic.[/quote]

I enjoyed Battlefield Earth more. And I probably enjoyed Kiss Meets the Phantom moere considering I was like 7 when it came out.

I liked it a lot, but it doesn’t have the masterpiece kind of feel that Royal Tennenbaums had. It’s my own damned fault; I went in hoping to see something that trumped RT, and… well, that’s not what The Life Aquatic is.

For one thing, this one is a lot more of a comedy than any of Anderson’s previous films. There are a lot of laugh-out-loud lines, and Willem Dafoe deserves a Best Supporting Actor Oscar in any just universe.

It’s got the same kind of subtle, deep style as the other ones, though. It has to sink in more. I need some more time to think about it, and then I need to see it again on DVD.

But yeah, you should go see it, except you, Rob. You stink.

I guess I’ll have to be the guy that says he didn’t like it. I guess it was okay, but I didn’t like Royal Tennenbaums that much and think Rushmore was brilliant

Life Aquatic was completely stilted, moreso than Royal Tennenbaums (whcih at least had Gene Hackman to make something seem real). It’s as if Anderson now composes his scenes with so much precision and detail that nothing flows. It’s all about set design, no longer about characters. He’s making dioramas, not movies.

What character was anything but a caricature in this movie? Willem Dafoe was pretty good. The rest, not so good.

I though the same about Tennenbaums, so I guess if you dug that, you might dig this.

I keep hoping to see another Max Fischer or Herman Blum. Those were wholly original characters. Now Anderson seems more interested in creating his little self-contained universe than in populating it.

Loved the Bowie songs, though. And “Search & Destroy.”