The Limey

With DVDs (and games as well), I have two tendencies as a consumer. 1) I generally only buy items that are on sale. Sooner or later everything gets discounted. 2) I rarely BUY anything I haven’t already seen, rented or in the theater. I pride myself on my carefully selected collection of movies. So I’m torn by a recent conundrum.

Browsing for cheap DVDs in Kmart, I ran across a bundle of Ghost Dog and The Limey for $17. I loved Ghost Dog. $8.50 is well worth it. $10 for it still makes the bargain hunter in me smile.

But I’ve never seen the Limey. I’ve read LOTS of good stuff about it, but while I have been known to enjoy crime thrillers and the like, I wouldn’t call them a shoe-in genre for me. I don’t have a strong opinion about Soderburgh, so that doesn’t help…

So, who’s seen The Limey? Is it a sure-fire buy at $8 or so? Will I be proud to have it on my movie shelf?

If nothing else, it’s worth it just for the ten minutes Nicky Katt is onscreen.

Good call on Ghost Dog, Chris. A friend of mine once described Jim Jarmusch as “the absence of pace”.

I didn’t care much for The Limey when I saw it, although it’s a great script and a vintage Terence Stamp performance. There’s a great sequence that’s one long shot from outside a warehouse. But Soderburgh shot and edited it so that it does this weird narrative stuttering that didn’t work for me…

…until someone told me the movie is supposed to be taking place in Stamp’s head while he’s sitting on an airplane remembering everything. Now I want to see it again.

“You tell 'em Wilson’s coming!”

-Tom

Erik, you took the post right outta my fingers. The only thing not worth watching for Nicky Katt is Boston Public.

-Ron

> didn’t care much for The Limey when I saw it, although it’s a great script and a vintage Terence Stamp performance. There’s a great sequence that’s one long shot from outside a warehouse. But Soderburgh shot and edited it so that it does this weird narrative stuttering that didn’t work for me…

Tom, did you see a pre-theatrical release of the movie? I did, and had the same comment, but the stutter was considerably toned down in the theatrical release. Maybe that improvement swayed me, but the Limey’s my favourite Soderburgh movie

Stefan

the Limey’s my favourite Soderburgh movie

Well, okay, into the Netflix queue it goes. I’ve been on the fence about seeing it again, but that’s a pretty strong endorsement. Since Oceans 11, which should have been Soderbergh selling out, but was instead him just having a grand old time, I’ve had a renewed respect for him.

Besides, I watched Priscilla Queen of the Desert recently and was reminded how fucking cool Terence Stamp is, even in a wig and rouge.

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: no more fucking Abba.”

-Tom

of course everyone knows that the interspersed scenes of Terence Stamp are from an earlier movie that he made in his 20s. interesting idea to cast an old actor b/c your parent film company owns the actor’s old flicks, which you plan to crib. i read somewhere that this was the reasoning behind Soderbergh’s decision. can’t say if it is fact or fiction. i enjoyed it though; thought Stamp was taught and restrained and it was good to see Fonda playing what he is: an aging, rich hippie. plus, it’d had the great line: “Tell him I’m coming! Tell Him I’m F*cking coming!!” great delivery.

as for Ghost Dog: i fought tooth and nail with people at work but no one is taking my opinion; i loved Ghost Dog. it spurred me to read both Rashomon and the Hagakure. the really only odd Jarmusch flick i panned was Dead Man - which i found kinda slow, odd - slower and odder than normal for Jarmusch. i still need to see Year of the Horse. anywho - i own Ghost Dog and bought it for around $12. anything less than that to me is a winner. owning it just for Forrest Whittaker is worth the price. oh yeah, soundtrack by RZA from Wu-Tang, which is actually quite good.

hope you pick it up and enjoy it!

I am the anti-Tom. I loved the Limey (my second favorite Soderburgh, after Out of Sight). Ghost Dog mostly just put me to sleep. It made me wonder where the line between artsy and bad was, though I did suspect that it could have been re-edited into a pretty decent half-hour short.