If you’re playing in sandbox mode, 90% of it is knowing the maps. Some general tips.
- Don’t eat during the day. If you eat right before you sleep, it will heal up the damage from the day overnight. You save a ton of food this way.
- Don’t be afraid to explore and die, it will happen a lot. Again, map knowledge is probably the single biggest key to a lot of days survived. I actually played the game on the easiest settings for a while, just to learn all the maps, and then bumped the difficulty up.
- If you crouch while you are getting into a car, you will be crouched when you exit. This is a good way to get away from pesky animals that won’t seem to go away.
- Trapping and fishing can go a long way to stretching your longevity. Sources of “found” food don’t respawn, but animals do. You’ll pretty quickly clean out an area of scavenged goods, so there are a few different ways to approach things. You can just keep moving from map to map, or you can hunker down and fish / trap. Moving from map to map is a lot more dangerous, as you’re more likely to run into a patrol/bear that you don’t know is there over a hill etc.
- Get good with a bow, as it’s also a renewable resource.
- Get good at hitting rabbits with rocks.
- Store food outside (this used to work, not sure if it still does). Food doesn’t degrade outside, or at least it didn’t used to. Very handy for those big game stockpiles. If they fixed/changed this, the game will be much harder. You used to be able to seriously stockpile and just hunker down somewhere. I’ve had games where I had months worth of supplies stacked up.