The Long Journey Home (procedurally generated space adventure)

Came across the teaser for this game, apparently a space exploration adventure in the style of Starflight and Star Control 2, with the developers citing Firefly and Farscape as influences on their universe. Don’t know much more than that at this point, but seemed like this would sound interesting to a few folks around these parts.

Looks fantastic. Like I said in the space thingie thread, I hope their controls are as fluid as ones in Galak-Z. The only thing that makes me nervous is the procedural generation. I don’t know how that will play out with the different races. I’m guessing they can’t put specific spots of humor and situations like in Star Control 2. But you never know. We don’t know which parts are procedurally generated and which ones are authored. Maybe alien dialog will be written specifically and just races whose mouths it comes out of will be switched around.

I’ve been trying to get the dev on my podcast for a few months now. I’ll keep y’all posted. :)

Cool, I’d love to hear more about this.

That looks pretty neat, good find!

Wow that is one of the best trailers I have seen for games in a long time!

Definitely generated interest.

-Todd

Man, yeah, that was frickin solid. I love the concept and can’t wait to see how it starts turning out. Like the others, I fear that procedural generation gone too far might remove some of the charm of StarCon diplomacy, but if it’s more about seeding pre-made alien races and the foozles they want to be gifted across randomly generated space w/ randomly generated encounters between the two, then that’s not too bad (and not entirely dissimilar from what Stardock’s Sorcerer King does, actually).

Another section I really like is the glimpse we see of the 2D side perspective on the planetary excursions. That’s a really nice idea of how to do planets in a space exploration game. I always feel like games should do planets in some way. Any way is okay, but there should be something. A lot of people criticize Star Control 2’s planetary exploration, and yeah, it wasn’t the best, but it was a whole lot better than not having planetary exploration at all.

There’s just something about the size and feel of a universe, without actually being able to go to planets, the whole thing feels so much more empty. Just having any kind of planetary exploration completely changes that perspective in the player’s mind, and it goes from being a big universe to a gigantic universe with so many more possibilities. It’s like a mental shift happens in the mind of the player that’s seismic. It’s one of the reasons that Elite: Dangerous still feels like a fairly small universe to me (I don’t have Horizons yet).

Any word if this is coming out in 2016?

The trailer ends with “The journey begins Fall 2016”. So they’re aiming for it.

Or they just mean they plan to launch Early Access v. 0.0.1 on December 20, 2016.

Release date announced: May 30th.

In!

God, that initial trailer is so damned good.

I just looked it up, and apparently this is coming to Xbone (and ps4). This makes me happy, even though there’S seemingly no timeline for it.

That makes me happy too. Because it also implies that it will be controllable with a gamepad, even on the PC version. Which means it’s not a mouse and keyboard thing like Star sector.

Is anyone playing this now? Any impressions?

I watched some of Brian Rubin’s preview linked from the Steam Page as a favored curator of mine. Unfortunately, looks like Brian was playing the game with a mouse, which I’m not interested in. Any impressions of someone playing using a gamepad?

EDIT: On the steam page, Tutorial 1 and 3 play fine for me, but Tutorial 2 makes it jump to one of the screenshots. Is that happening to anyone else?

I am playing it now and I really like it so far, but I’m very early on. As Brian said, it’s very reminiscent of Starflight, but it also has a feel that makes me think of No Man’s Sky. Considering that I really, really like No Man’s Sky, that is a good feeling. Other people might disagree.

I’ll have better impressions to share once I finish one or two runs through it.

I thought it controlled fine with a gamepad, but keyboard was more my style.