The Long Journey Home (procedurally generated space adventure)

No doubt, those are games to be proud of. Especially Millennia. Best time travel game I’ve ever played.

Hey, I notice this finally got a release on Xbox One (and I’m guessing PS4 and Switch as well?) and I’m curious how it made the transition, anyone tried? I’d like to play but I’m balking a bit at the $39.99 price tag.

Unless they made the game 75% less tedious and annoying, just avoid.

No can do, Brian, this one is right up my alley. I will likely wait for a sale though, hard to justify forty bucks on a roll of the dice.

Don’t you mean ‘die’?

Alright man, I warned you.

You know, if they’d just let you set the size of the map, like Civilization, and tweak a couple other things, it could have been ok. sigh

Yeah I get it, this is not your cup of tea. I read your impressions. I think there’s still probably something worth checking out in there.

The issue is that the game punishes you for doing things that should be encouraged, like exploring planets.

I thought the core game loop was cool. I liked how difficult and hostile planet surfing could be.

It suffers from a huge case of S.P.A.Z. syndrome though - it’s too in love with that core gameplay loop and thinks what you want is a metric spaceship of it.

I was more disappointed by the things that surrounded the core loop, particularly the alien encounters and combat. This could have been a new take on Star Control (or Starflight, if you’re one of THOSE guys), but it really dropped the ball on making any of that fun.

I keep thinking I need to give it a little more time, but then I’m never ever actually inclined to start it up. So sad! There’s a lot that’s great in there!

(SPAZ also never hooked me.)

Well there you go! Sold! Also, I’m one of THOSE guys.

Excuse me?

Gah, no there isn’t! UGH.

You don’t think so? I think I liked what they were doing with the different characters you could have on your crew. I thought landing on planets was fun when it wasn’t completely suicidal. I just never felt like I was progressing in any substantial way, and all the aliens were irritating. But it’s been awhile since I gave it a whirl.

The problem with TLJH isn’t the idea. The first trailer was amazing, the concept is solid, the potential enormous. The problem is the execution. The game is punitive where it shouldn’t be. It doesn’t reward the player enough, and the good things - which are there - in the end fail to overcome the bad.

This game is one of my biggest disappointments in the last few years. So close, and yet SO far.

So did you ever give this a try? Did you like it? It’s still on sale for $2 on Xbox until tomorrow, so I thought I’d remind myself why I had a mental note in my brain to avoid this game because of this thread.

Well, I did buy the game at some point but no, I haven’t tried it out yet. I should probably get around to that.

Don’t waste your time. Seriously.

I respect your opinion dude, but I like to find out for myself. Occasionally I find myself liking things that almost nobody else does.