The Long Journey Home (procedurally generated space adventure)

It works fine with a game controller. I think one of the splash screens even says something to the effect of, “Dude, you really should play the space bits with a game controller.”

As for the game in general, am I the only one who keeps getting summarily clobbered by this game?

-Tom

I didn’t like using a controller in beta because the direction of facing would snap back to the direction of travel after releasing the joystick. I was really looking forward to experimenting with the steam controller to get around that, but didn’t get around to it.

Nope, the devs are adding apparently an easier way in via a patch soon.

Maybe a small thing, but now Window mode? no resolution options? Really?!?

Story mode is already live but this is still hard! Mostly a matter of lander steering mastery so far because right now I destroyed it on the first planet already. It is finniky with a M+K. Space seems OK but Lander is trouble for me. But it looks great and lovely designed.

I feel this would’ve been a game that actually would’ve benefitted from an open early access period. Sigh.

Unless something changed, it is MUCH easier now than when beta started. I think (for better or worse) they wanted landing on planets to be relatively hazardous and not something you did for kicks. Personally, I think that cuts against the theme of the game just a little bit.

I haven’t played in quite some time, but based on my last time with it, the best thing to do was to only land if there was a rare resource. And if you can, sell that resource instead of converting it directly to hull or fuel. Use cash for that.

Mr Chick is streaming this tonight. There will be crashing!

And the writer of the game stopped in. Very nice.

Really enjoyed the stream of this, keeping it on the wishlist for sure. I still feel its a bit pricey, then again I am a cheap sob. ;)

I love the concept here, but I guess where things went wrong for me is that I wanted something a bit more like SAIS but with more depth and bit more length/complexity. Long Journey Home is maybe an order of magnitude bigger than what I wanted. And while I understand the creative decisions they made, what I really would have loved is to be able to customize the galaxy size and play on a much smaller scale. I’d like a game I could complete in an hour or two and replay again and again vs 10+ hours.

I really enjoyed streaming this, because I went from really not liking the game to seriously digging it by the time the stream was over. If Long Journey Home hadn’t won Request Wednesday, I probably would have written it off forever as a punishingly difficult rogue-like with minimal gameplay density, based on a few failed attempts at rogue mode. Instead, if you just suck it up and play on story mode, it’s a space adventure with more in common with Star Control 2 than with the latest crop of survival games.

-Tom

Man, it must be hard for game designers to stay the course as so many people want so many different things.

My criticisms are the exact opposite, where I would like a longer/bigger and more complex game.

The entire reason I stayed away was game length being too short.

I wonder if this will be discounted in Steam tomorrow?

Absolutely. A game designer needs to have a vision. You then have to filter feedback through the lens of what that vision is. You will never please everyone, and trying to implement all useful feedback is a recipe for disaster.

I really wish I weren’t out on a big work trip this week, cuz I really wanted to watch this. Hope the VOD is well catalogued :)

Cuz hearing the SC2 comparisons continue is VERY heartening for me.

Even if SC3 is far superior ;-)

Just caught wind of this. You guys are supposed to DM me when there are games that are comparable to Star Control 2! Pretty sure that’s in the by-laws!

I don’t know that I’ve been this tempted to spend full-price on a game since XCOM. I don’t have any interest in playing this thing on Rogue mode, but if the Story/Adventure modes are solid enough, I’ll be perfectly happy with that! I am even willing to master Lunar Lander-style gameplay!

From what I’ve seen in Tom’s stream, this thing seems to justify comparisons to another neat (and obscure) space game: Starscape!

This game has a soundtrack by Kai Rosenkranz, who did the unforgettable music for Gothic 1/2/3

I got the soundtrack for free as a bonus for backing his kickstarted couple years back. Very nice.

Didn’t he used to be in a duo with that Guildenstern dude?

I couldn’t resist…

and I’m still mightily amused that bioshock infinite made reference to this

*Sips hot coffee, nodding in agreement and smirking knowingly

Snorts coffee out his nose

“God-dammit, Mavrick!”