The Lord of the Rings, an Amazon joint

I choose my words poorly. I meant that given everything Galadriel had been through to that point, over literally hundreds of years, it was foolish to think she would succumb to Sauron’s deception magic especially given that she knew his real identity before the scene even started. Maybe that was the point though, to show that Sauron miscalculated Galadriel’s strength, realized this during the scene, and switched to attempting to kill her with the deception magic when he realized she couldn’t be corrupted? So not so much a crisis of faith so much as a reaffirmation of purpose for Galadriel.

The mithril stuff still bugs me though. It could have been handled so much better. As written it is very sloppy. It would not have taken much additional screen time to tie things together better with a storyline about how Elrond or Celebrimbor poured through the elven archives and discovered that there was mention of places where the Valar fought evil or performed great feats of magic and the very earth and stone became imbued with traces of their power. That this power is the same as that which permeates Valinor and grants the elves their peace and immortality. Finding ore imbued with this power in Middle Earth would be the equivalent of bringing a piece of Valinor to Middle Earth, and that is why it can revive the Lindon tree and by association the elves of Middle Earth. But what the limited information in the archives do not mention is that the same power was used by the Valar to bind and imprison ancient forces of great evil, and that the veins of mithril below Moria have kept the Balrog imprisoned there for millennia. Simple, easy, doesn’t really change or break Tolkien canon in any grievous way, and could have been done in a couple of 3-5 minute scenes of Elrond/Celebrimbor doing research and having a breakthrough spread across a couple of episodes leading up to the forging of the elven rings.

Basically, I find myself solidly in between the opinions in this thread. One the one hand, I really liked the show for a whole lot of reasons I have already mentioned, and can’t wait to see more. I want to LOVE it, but the writing, especially the constant use of common TV tropes and crutches, keeps me from being all in. In that respect I find myself agreeing on many things with @Sharpe and the others who were disappointed that the show set high bars for nearly every aspect other than the actual plotlines/writing. On a positive note, that CAN be fixed. Assuming the producers take the constructive criticism leveled at the show seriously (and don’t just lump it in with the racist garbage criticism it received initially), there is room for improvement and plenty of time to rework the writers room and the scripts for next season and beyond.

Regardless, I am watching because more Middle Earth can never be a bad thing in my eyes.

I have decided to step away from discussing the show, at least in it’s current season 1 incarnation, indefinitely.

I really don’t like it, and I’d rather talk about actual Tolkien stuff when I do.

well, bye.gif ; tinyest violin, etc

I’m going to need the show’s DM to weigh in on how this deception magic works. Is there a saving throw, and can it be adjusted based on thousands of years of struggle?

I just rolled a 14 on a d20 for the D&D folks.

I also rolled an 8 on a d12 and a 3, 4, 6 on 3d6 for The One Ring fans.

It’s a special ability the celestial can transfer into artifacts it crafts. You’d have to pass a Wisdom save of DC, hmm, 30 to save against it. Too bad you’re playing a High Elf, if you were a hobbit, they’ve got a +5 bonus for those kind of saves. Yeah, it’s kind of OP, but I haven’t seen any errata for the monster yet.

A few thousand years worth of struggle? I guess I can give you Advantage on the roll. You want to make it a Wisdom (Athletics) roll? Jeez, I guess I can see that. Mathematically, though, I think you’re gonna need a nat 20. Good luck.

I have grey eyes.

Some thoughts on editing and pacing:

I mean, I kinda understand and sympathise that mithril was being used to generate urgency to making the rings.

However that reasoning (mithril = light = save the Elves) doesn’t hold for the next 9 and 7 rings that must be made … :(

The mithril story … just ugh from me :(

On this I agree, with the exception of the accents.

They were a bit jarring imho, like Elves = higher class British, Hobbits = simple fold and therefore Irish…just…weird…like there was no need for accent archetyping imho, they could have has the actors using their irl accents.

This would be a pretty cool show I think :).

The fact that he got humbled by Numenor, then corrupted them to the extent they tried to war on the Elves…that alone is a story worth exploring imho.

Time to get more books it seems…

I think, to “get” Tolkien in the way you describe requires engaging in a mindset that is perhaps not the most politically correct, e.g. that a being can be innately good or evil, e.g. Orcs have no redeeming features etc.

I think the idea of archetypes is one that ought to have been explored in the show, and I think things could have been slowed down a bit more.

I mean, I would have liked to see more Dwarves, more Harfoots etc, in settings of less stress.

It was consistently poor imho, with good bits in each episode.

Very mixed. For example, I liked the Galadriel character the most, but she was all over the shop.

Durin the younger was consistent I think, as in torn between friendship, his wife and duty.

Adar gets my vote. We know there were many thousands of Elves (mostly Noldor iirc) that got imprisoned and corrupted by Melkor, so the idea of one that survived and was trying to do his own thing, well I thought that was interesting.

The 2nd movie, with the Rohan civilians fleeing and the Uruks gathering in strength, that is a good memory :).

Is that the desire, or was it just uselessness? Or both? Hmmm…

Indeed, there was some nice foreshadowing in that scene I thought.

Well, I did watch it all, and I will watch Season 2, so there is that…

Of all the story crap they made up, I thought this was the only one with value. I wish the rest of the show brought cool ideas like this.

Finally got to watch the finale last night as watching family has not been together.

Yep, this is me too. I enjoyed the series, but man it could have been better if they’d consistently taken the high fantasy road.

Yes, the series presented a major modern revision of the Tolkien view, one that I think will be interesting to see if they try to explore more.

We are in for season 3!

I agree, in theory. Like many of my students, though, just because they have the beginnings of a take on something doesn’t mean they can actually deliver on it. It’s like reading a few pages of Foucault and then thinking you can write a brilliant post-structuralist critique of baguettes or something.

Easy!

bread

That looks tasty. Just add a dab of olive oil.

Or maybe some nice cheese, maybe a strong aged Muenster…

Or some Italian ham…

Is it lunchtime yet?

Funny stuff:

Agree with @Sharpe that misdirection in a Tolkien fantasy is dumb. As one famous writer* once said (and has since recanted on a bit) part of Tolkien’s oeuvre is his “cod-Wagnerian pomposity, his boys-own-adventure glorying in war, his small-minded and reactionary love for hierarchical status-quos, his belief in absolute morality that blurs moral and political complexity.” The Lord of the Rings is nothing if not very very earnest and misdirection undermines that vibe. I confess I like mystery box shows, but Tolkien’s high fantasy deserves a straight narrative.

I found it tonally jarring to watch this juxtaposed with House of the Dragon, which is subtle, grown-up, and has a great deal of moral complexity (even if it also has a reactionary love for hierarchical status-quos.) Tolkien in 2022 seems so… quaint, so PG-13.

Even so, I enjoyed The Rings of Power, kind of in the same way @tomchick did; I watched about 20 minutes at a time just before falling asleep, so mostly just liked hearing Morfydd Clark say “Sauron” and watching Nazanin Boniadi traipse around in fetching coveralls with Ismael Cordova glowering at her elbow. The landscapes were awesome, the geography was nonsense (as it is in nearly every fantasy screen adaptation), the characters were all well drawn, well casted and well acted, the plotting was bleh, and the pacing was mostly glacial. I’ll watch a second season, but I won’t be waiting for it with bated breath like I am for season two of HoD.

I am a fan of hot Sauron though.

*China Mieville

If there’s anything even one-tenth as hot in House of Dragons, I’ll watch it.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. There’s so much there in the way she says it.

I just came back from the theater where I watched 2 hours of Margo Robbie and Anya Taylor-Joy, does that count?

Oddly enough House of Dragons isn’t particularly sexy, given its pedigree. It does have lots of dragon fire. That’s hot.