The Lord of The Rings: The War of the Rohirrim

New Line Cinema, the studio behind Peter Jackson’s Middle-earth-shattering “Lord of the Rings” films, is returning to J.R.R. Tolkien’s source material for the first time since “The Hobbit” movies, and teaming up with Warner Bros. Animation on the new project. The studio is even recruiting Philippa Boyens, who was on the original trilogy’s screenwriting team, to serve as a consultant on “The War of the Rohirrim.”

Me, if this was announced in 2011?

Huh, that could be cool. After the incredible trilogy, I can’t wait to see it.

Me, in 2021

Fuckin Hobbit man, straight cash grab/ licensing hold move. At least do something different. Fall of Gondolin mayby.

Looking forward to it. Animation seems like a good medium for LOTR universe stories.

As far as I know First Age (Quenta Silmarillion) is off limits and nobody can do it. Like Amazon can only do Second Age (Akallabêth), but not Third Age (The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Appendices) which IIRC is broken up between movie rights and book rights.

Post Hobbit I don’t forsee the Tolkien estate and Saul Zaentz corp being especially eager to grant said rights either.

I could totally see New Line Cinema giving animators about four months to work on this, and the last five minutes of the movie are live shots of the animators sketching as fast as they can.

What a bunch of Debbie Downers. A theatrical anime movie about Helm Hammerhand sounds amazing to me!

I’m too old to watch cartoons.

So this War of the Rohirrim will be against Dunlendings then. I hope everyone remembers them in that one scene in The Two Towers.

Hobbit may or may not have been a “cash grab” but having saved the films to watch them all over the course of a single weekend like a huge epic single thing (we watched the first two the opening weekend of the third one) my son and I really ended up liking the experience overall quite a lot. If we’d watched them as they came out I might have had a little less patience for them, but we just kept missing them and finally decided to try it this way, and it was a fun way to do it.

Posted with affection. (“Where there’s a whip… there’s a way!”)

I still maintain the Rankin-Bass Hobbit is better than the Peter Jackson Hobbit.

It’s also great that the Rankin-Bass Return of the King picks up where the Bakshi Lord of the Rings leaves off, making a complete story, despite being… slightly different in tone.

Pretty sure everyone maintains this.

I haven’t even seen the Rankin Bass version, and I won’t contest it.

I’m not familiar with Rankin/Bass, let alone their takes on Lord of the Rings. That song is great though!

I still love Bakshi’s weird, expressive, psychedelic rotoscoped visuals and always wished as a kid for the rest of the story.

This sounds like a fun idea!

The Bakshi one is cray, but they definately nailed orcs as pure nightmare fuel compared to the Rakin/Bass rated G goofy cartoon orc for kids.

To anyone who hasn’t seen the Rankin/Bass animated Hobbit, do yourself a favor and SEE IT! The music alone is a treat and feels like Middle Earth and Hobbits.

All three animated films are amazing, but yes, the Bakshi orcs fucking haunted my dreams as a child. Such an amazing adaptation.

I’ve been meaning to watch the fan edit, “There and Back Again” forever. It’s available online and was, I think (it’s been a while), a mashup of two like minded fan edits intended to bring the trilogy more inline with the books, remove the silly stuff and cut out dumb plot lines.

Heh - I would have thought the opposite would be the case; i.e., watching them back-to-back would cause a serious sense of fatigue. Shoe-horned love stories and other weird additions aside, the biggest issue I have with these films - IMO - are simply that they drag and stretch out the action interminably. There’s plenty of good entertainment in them - it should just have been made into two x 2 hour films instead of three.