The Magicians - TV

book spoils

[spoiler]
Quentin bumps into her somewhere in the middle bits (on holiday, iirc) and she’s a train wreck but he recognizes that she’s basically addicted to magic or the idea of doing magic and it is consuming her. I recall her desperately begging Quentin to find out of the headmaster or whatever to reconsider her case. And he does bring it up with that guy eventually.

Eliot shows up with her at the end and she has gained some level of ability in being able to do magic.[/spoiler]

What a bummer. That arc is a total buzzkill for my enjoyment of each episode.

“Would you like some drug addiction bullshit but with magic thrown into your dark Harry Potter world discovery?”
No thank you, stick to scary Hogwarts/how magic works please.

In the book context it’s really affecting and powerful, probably the better half of that book. But as a B-story to the first book it doesn’t work so well.

I actually think Julia is the most interesting character on the show. Her journey is disjointed, but by far the most interesting to me.

So there you go. Doesn’t make me right’ doesn’t make you wrong. Just different preferences.

I’m also on team Julia. She’s the most sympathetic and interesting character. But tastes will differ ;)

Yeah, I know some people will groove to that. Didn’t mean to say that part was bad objectively. :)

the main character is so annoying…

So, I like this more than The Expanse.

There, I said it :)

No way would I put it above The Expanse but that just my taste. I will say that as far as fantasy based series go, its way better than Shannara, which is kind of a mess. The sad thing is, Shannara has some good things, but the writing is so bad that no amount of great visuals can over come it. Anyway, The Magicians has been pretty decent so far. Better than I expected because the book ( I only read the first ) didnt really captivate me. So a tip o the hat to Syfy, with The Expanse and The Magicians they are 2 for 2 in their recent re-branding move. They have some interesting stuff coming down the pipeline as well, so hopefully we are seeing the beginning and a new golden age for Syfy.

Now can someone get them to grab the rights to Rendezvous with Rama? That thing needs to be made and has been trapped in development hell for decades. Oh, and a Lord of Light mini series would be awesome. And while youre on Zelazny, get working on a series about Amber, okay. Yeah okay, thats probably a bit much to ask for.

Really enjoyed the whole of episode 9. I am not sure if The Magicians is a guilty pleasure or a boastful one, but we really are loving the show.

I like it much better than I expected. Oh and to be completely unabashedly sexist, the girl who plays Alice has an absolutely rockin bod. Anyway, guilty pleasure or not, I find it worth watching.

I’m not yet completely caught up on this, but absolutely love the show. The casting is great despite being a ‘teen drama’, it doesn’t seem to have that CW-sparkly teen feel. The blatant rip-off of Potter/Narnia is amusing in its blatant-ness. Not deep or anything, but a fun ride.

There’s really something to be said for this. The show is completely up front with the notion that they’re ripping off those shows, even with the meta-humor of taking a children’s story being “true” as part of their storyline. If you’re going to do it, being honest about is at least the most respectable way to do it.

Yeah, this episode was really solid. We have actual answers to questions asked from the first episode, the further development of Ms. Druggie McDruggerson as a character, and solid work on worldbuilding.

The relationship stuff and “Beautiful All Along” trope were on the wall from the beginning, but it’s nice to see them actually develop too. Maybe Alice can stop wearing frocks and shit now and dress like a human being in college. Yes, I know it’s not an actual frock. :P I was happy to see she has eye circles from her glasses, so she either really wears glasses or the makeup department was on top of that.

This thing is really coming along nicely. I especially liked the end of episode 8 bit with the headmaster (or whatever his role is called) just kind of throwing up his hands and basically saying to Quentin, “What do you want us to do? We’re all going to die as well!”

I’m an episode behind but this has been my favorite new TV series by far this season. I read the first book and didn’t enjoy it all that much. The characters were annoying and it didn’t really feel like it had a great point.

The show however is a huge improvement over the books. Better characters, better motivations, better moments. I really love what they’ve done with the material.

So this last episode was like a wet dream for a teenager. UGH

I still think it may have actually been that.

It actually included one, until Penny screwed it up!

My theory is that they’re still in one, Inception-style. That’s the only way that I can excuse writers for including the line “All of my magic is sex magic” in a show.

I would immediately be OK with what the episode if that’s what it was. But otherwise, yeah, teenagers can dream, amirite??