The Man Of Steel Meets The Dark Knight Announced (Superman Sequel)

Unrelated but related - I saw a rumor thing the other day that Bale indicated he was not as opposed to being Batman again - probably fishing for cash.

I don’t want to be a downer, but the whole realistic approach to the characters is going to be an issue, won’t it?
Realistic Batman has trouble fighting other humans. Realistic Superman destroys cities when he fights.

And seeing as how much of the criticism of Man of Steel is “Not enough fun”, the Dark Knight returns might not be the best storyline to be influenced by.

Still, hoping for the best, the Avengers were also “impossible” a short time ago, so…

Turns out that Bruce’s mom’s “pearl” necklace was actually infused with microscopic amounts of Kryptonite, and that when she was shot, these flecks embedded themselves in Bruce’s skin, making him practically invulnerable to Superman Because Science.

Did you make that up, or is it actually canon, because I can’t tell?!

THAT’S THE BEAUTY OF IT!

Totally made up, though.

Simple solution: As the enormity of the damage he did sinks in, Superman swears to himself to never wage total war on Earth ever again. This has the added benefit of setting up the conclusion of the Superman trilogy where he in fact wages total war on Earth again. Meanwhile, Batman has gone a little off the deep end, and is now kicking serious ass. This means that Batman and Superman are both now operating on a more or less equal playing field as far as violence wreaked upon the world is concerned. No namby pamby Batman in this movie. I’m not sure what I’d do for a villain, probably I’d go for some smart villain who is playing Superman and Batman off each other in some way, like a kid playing mom against dad. You can’t have someone physically strong enough to fight Superman because that guy would kill Batman.

There’s been a lot of Superman/Batman crossovers in the comics, ranging from good to downright horrible. The better ones IMHO have some enemy with both brains and brawn, such as Darkseid, that can’t be beaten by either Superman’s tank-in-a-china-shop approach or Batman’s think-a-zillion-moves-ahead approach alone. The two heroes meet, clash, make up, learn to work together, and beat the bad guy. That’s likely how a movie would work.

I really hope they’re going to have continuity with the Batman films, and have that young “Robin” cop be Batman in the crossover film. This is both semi-canonical (as per recent Batman comics) and would fit the film “universe” established so far. I don’t think I could bear another Batman origin sequence.

Note to film-makers: everyone knows the Batman, Spider-Man and Superman origins, stop making reboots!!! Just do a brief flash on the origins at some point (like in the Hulk film, where Hulk’s origin is flashed through in the opening sequences).

I… hadn’t even considered that. But it makes so much sense, and would be very easy to pull off. Plus, I’d pay good money to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Batman. Just sayin’.

If they’re going to do crossovers with Supes and the Bats, here’s what they need to do:

Call Bruce Timm.

One can dream…

How is this going to work given the levels of power they established between Superman and Batman in the recent movies? Are they going to ignore that and just semi-reboot into more of an Avengers type deal?

I was wondering that too. Theoretically, Iron Man can’t do anything Batman couldn’t do with the right gadget. And at least sometimes in the comics, Thor and Superman might be considered in the same ballpark (obviously with huge caveats and variance based on who’s writing them and how important it is for them to be powerful at that given moment in the story, blah blah blah). But while Thor and Iron Man (and Cap’) knocking each other around in the Avengers felt right—you kind of know that if it went on long enough, Thor would certainly win, but everyone gets some good hits in—it’s almost impossible to imagine that working with Man of Steel’s Superman and anyone’s Batman, not just the more grounded Nolan-Bat.

And I guess part of that just gets back to the difficulty in managing someone as powerful as Superman. I didn’t really like Man of Steel, but what I did enjoy that they didn’t shy away from showing how powerful he is—even as I had issues with how careless he was with that power. So the best part of the movie was the same thing that makes it impossible for me to imagine this Superman working in the same universe as Batman. I don’t envy their task.

Yeah, this needs to be World’s Finest or I’m out. OK to be honest, I’m probably out either way considering I haven’t even seen the latest Batman or Superman movies, but I still want some World’s Finest.

Batman wouldn’t be much different as an “opponent” for Superman than Lex Luthor, in terms of being rich enough to make stuff happen, and clever enough to outfox Superman.

They will definitely not. It’s been repeatedly said that they’re not in the same universe. In Nolan’s Batman films, the Bat is the only superhero. I like to think antman is hiding somewhere, however

I get why they are doing this, cash money, but dammit I am so sick of superheroes and the thought of multiple heroes running around in the same setting is even more ridiculous than already totally ridiculous settings.

Oh yeah, Batman and Superman sharing a setting makes no sense at all. They’ve never had a decades-long teamup book dedicated to just that, or appeared on countless pages of Justice League together, or even met. Why is DC forcing them to share screen time now, after more than 50’s years of rigid separation?

/sarcasm

In the excellent animated films they make batman ruthless and singleminded, and then add in the brilliance necessary to make those qualities a superpower on their own merit. Frank Miller was probably the man I associate most with a batman that could go toe to toe (albeit briefly) with supes without resorting to extreme silliness. I believe that version of bats is what informs the animated movie version the most. Just look to that for inspiration and it might work better than expected.

Well superheroes make no sense at all. But it’s not that I’m not aware of all the ridiculous fanboy mash ups, I just find that having multiple super heroes in one setting compounds everything I find stupid about superheroes to a level that I personally can’t suspend (I appreciate what whedon did balancing the avengers but having Viking gods run around with aliens and stark and hulk and iron man and a WW2 genetic experiment makes being a superhero average against a nonsensical Frankenstein glob of a setting filled with your choice of dues ex machina powers).

But I’m not a superhero guy so that’s my bias coming into this. What I liked about Nolan’s batman was that in the latter two films, he deemphasized the pure fantasy. Superman can’t separate the fantasy, so now each setting is going to get polluted by the other, homogenizing what makes the stories unique.