The Many Other Crimes of Donald J Trump

Also, too, no SCOTUS decision on immunity coming down today.

Blanche getting Cohen to say, many times, that he lied about all this stuff out of loyalty to Trump. I don’t really see how that helps the defense’s cause.

LOL now Cohen says his lies to protect Trump were part of a joint defense agreement he had with Trump and were coordinated with Trump’s attorney. That will help!

I don’t really see how that helps the defense’s cause.

So the one Trump supporter on the jury can hang it with a “reasonable” doubt.

What?

Sorry - he’s introducing this line of questioning/evidence so he can get the outcome he wants. The one Trump leaning juror to hang the jury. The Juror will claim this is the “reasonable” doubt he needs - that Cohen is lying about everything (even though they have documentation and records that backs his story).

That is the Defenses goal - not acquittal, but a hung jury.

Getting Cohen to admit lies is helpful. Getting him to say that he lied at the orders of Trump to cover up Trump’s involvement in the activities he is charged with is probably not helpful.

Blanche spending a lot of time on Cohen’s tax conviction. TL;DR: Cohen admits he did the things he was charged for, but doesn’t think he should have been charged with those things. Blanche wants him to say that he lied in his plea or he’s lying now.

Blanche finally produces something, a text exchange that calls into question Cohen’s testimony. Cohen said on direct that he called Schiller on 10/24/16 at 8PM to talk to Trump about funding for the Stormy Daniels deal. But phone records also show that Cohen texted a phone number to Schiller after the call to Schiller.

Blanche is asking Cohen about a prank call he complained about, then texted the caller number to Schiller. The implication is that Cohen called Schiller about the prank call, not to talk to Trump about the money. Cohen says he doesn’t believe that is true. Blanche asks if his testimony was based on actually remembering the call to Trump, or on the call log showing a call to Schiller. Cohen says the call log was to refresh his memory of when the call occurred.

In short, Blanche succeeds in casting doubt, at least as to when the call Cohen made to Trump happened.

And now we are at lunch.

Everyone knows phone calls only allow a single topic of discussion. If you try to change the topic it cuts off.

That’s actually pretty sharp of Blanche. As you note, it’s going to cast a degree of doubt. It’s kind of not great that he didn’t get to it until hours of cross-ex had happened, but he got to it. He and Necheles have excellent reputations as defense lawyers, and this is the first time I’ve kind of seen that on display after some serious stumbles early.

Whether this resonates with the jury or not is another matter.

Yeah, I agree. Even if Cohen is actually wrong about the date and time of the call — if it was a different call than the one on the log the prosecution pointed to — he says he remembers the context and content of the call. It just happened at a different time. I think this is something the prosecution can clean up on redirect.

I’ve had my phone brick itself if I try to talk about more than one subject in a single call. “Oh, hey while I’ve got you…” and zap, dead phone.

The Utah Republican argued that Biden should have pardoned Trump when the Justice Department announced charges against him and that the president “made an enormous error” by not pressuring New York prosecutors to drop their case against Trump. (Presidents can pardon only in federal cases.)

"He should have fought like crazy to keep this prosecution from going forward,” Romney said, referring to Biden. “It was a win-win for Donald Trump.”

Pressed by Ruhle whether that is Biden’s job to pardon Trump, Romney said he believes that Biden should have taken a cue from former President Lyndon B. Johnson, saying that the president could have stepped in and urged New York prosecutors to drop the case.“I have been around for a while. If LBJ had been president, and he didn’t want something like this to happen, he’d have been all over that prosecutor saying, ‘You better not bring that forward or I’m gonna drive you out of office,’” he said.

Ruhle then noted that Romney supports having separate but equal branches of government.

“I do. … You may disagree with this, but had I been President Biden, when the Justice Department brought on indictments, I would have immediately pardoned him. I’d have pardoned President Trump. Why? Well, because it makes me, President Biden, the big guy and the person I pardoned a little guy.”

I think Romney caught RFK’s brain worm.

Yeah, don’t think it works exactly like that with DJT or MAGA chuds, Mitt.

Would that mean in any way shape or form that Trump is guilty of whatever he is pardoned of and subsequently unable to hold office? If so sure why not. In either case I doubt Trump would accept a pardon (until or unless he is actually found guilty and convicted to jail time and out of appeals).

I saw Romney saying that on the TV news and the bird went up so fast I almost pulled something in my arm.

I remember when Republicans were falling all over themselves to praise Obama for being the big man and not perusing prosecution of the Bush administration.

A criminal conviction doesn’t preclude you from being President, and a pardon in a criminal matter wouldn’t either. There is no upside to pardoning Trump. Romney’s just being Romney here.

Makes sense because he’s been eating the feces produced by the Republican Party for many years.