The Marvel Cinematic Universe Post-Endgame

Moon Knight trailer:

As someone who had the comic w/ 1st ever appearance of Moon Knight, and full collections of at least the 1st two iterations of the series, the execution was always a bit disappointing. This Moon Knight looks promising. Oscar Isaac as the lead sure doesn’t hurt!

Also:

Wow. I can’t wait. That trailer was amazing.

Heh, hopefully that trailer will quiet the contingent that always grumbles, “Moon Knight is just Marvel’s Batman.”

That trailer was astounding.

I never found Moon Knight where I live, but I adore Bill Sienkiewicz’s (and Kyle Baker’s) work on the Shadow. The guy’s absolutely brilliant.

Thanks for that trailer - that looked amazing!

Ooo, female lead in this is May Calamawy, the sister from Ramy:

In grade school, Moon Knight was my favorite comic book character (okay, next to Spider-Man). 'Cause he just looked awesome. Those eyes glowing from the dark hood were the coolest thing. To be clear, I didn’t follow comic books, so I didn’t know he was kind of a laughing stock or a C-player in Marvel. Periodically I would pick up a comic that looked cool, or my parents would buy one when I was home sick from school. Somehow I got the first few issues of the “Fist of Khonshu” series and I was real into them. Especially the Egyptian mythology stuff and the villain Morpheus, who made people’s nightmares real (which I now conflate with a similar story in Sandman, so I don’t really remember what happened in it the MK issue). I’m all in favor of giving Moon Knight a rehabilitation!

Impressions of the trailer:

• Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke, absolutely no complaints
  • I don’t suppose Hawke could be Morpheus??
  • Character on the brink of insanity… that could be cool. Isaac seems appropriately bedraggled.
  • For some reason I’m wishing this were a movie and not a series.
  • Costume… eeeeehhhhhhh. Not a fan, I don’t think. The stark black shadow covering the face–I guess that’s a comic book thing that probably doesn’t work so well on film. But it’s so essential! Feels like they could have come closer…

Very excited for this, anyway!

That is definitely not the Moon Knight of the original comics, and it certainly is leaning heavily into the mental illness aspects, but the casting looks great and it could be an interesting if dark viewing.

Perhaps, but I have no idea whether he does or doesn’t conform to what’s in the comics today. Even in my short time reading Moon Knight back in the 70s he changed quite a bit, from werewolf-hunter to Shadow-analogue. I get the impression that he’s one of those characters that changes depending on whoever is writing him (which happens a lot to the C list.)

Agreed. I read the book from the first appearance until I pretty much gave up on comics in the late 80s–just too much repetition and too much “ignore what came before”. So I have no idea where they went with the character after that.

Most of what I know about Moon Knight comes from Cerebus: High Society, but I didn’t realize there were so much Egypt Stuff in this one. If DC makes a Doctor Fate movie, they’re really going to look like a couple of Horus-come-latelies.

I lol’d. Well played.

Raise your hands if you’d love to see a Cerebus movie (probably animated). A pure, unvarnished, unrated Cerebus movie. Jeez that would be fun.

Oh, that’s great for her. She’s consistently the best part of the show and yet barely used.

Yes! It could be fun… unless it’s more of an elderly Cerebus retelling the entire Book of Genesis while Dave Sim pontificates on how humans in general are not great and women in particular are even worse. Up for Lord Julius, down on that.

I can’t see Sim ever doing or allowing it anyway. As nearly as I can tell, Cerebus is him, and there’s a reason its a misanthropic pig.

Well, I’ve never read the comic but I was trying to figure out what the hell happened to Charlie Huston, one of my favorite authors, and he started writing comics, primarily Moon Knight. If his writing translated to the comics, and that also translates to the screen, it’s going to be pretty damned good.

Thanks for the tip- I love me some Charlie Huston (the Joe Pitt novels, anyway), and I just looked this up. Looks like he was writing back in the mid-00’s, and his story is well-regarded. This trailer does look like it might draw on some of that…

Damn. That sucks.