The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Since it’s mid-October, it can’t be too far off, right? Unless December is Autumn now.

You damn near sweep the Emmy Comedy Category, you better damn well get another season.

Any dates yet?

YESSSSSSSSS

December 5th

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I really really loved this up in til she got back together with her husband. You know --the guy that brought his GF to dinner at her parents house.

Then I realized: It is just about creating drama tension and has no basis in real life. Because I would have killed him.

(and I say that now thinking "that happens everyday --we go back " – but I hate it so much I won’t watch anymore of his sham tv series even though I love her)

(someone tell me what happens – I have it on boycott for hating it)

I mean technically winter doesn’t begin until December 20th?

December 21 is the first day of winter.

Fans of Gilmore Giirls can tell you that Sherman-Palladino (the creator of this show) writes clever women really well. She’s also terrible at writing believable romantic relationships.

Logan was terrible, Jess was a weird abusive asshole, Dean was a talking mannequin. Even Luke-Lorelai only really worked because it was platonic for so long.

What sucked about Dean was that originally he was an intellectual match for Rory. In the first few episodes, he’s able to hang with her on literary references and obscure pop culture. And then they decided they’d better make him a little less a perfect match and dumbed him down and gave Jess all the “hidden smarts” they’d once put into Dean’s character.

Here’s the link, FWIW:

I watched GG despite all the terribly written relationships and the cringeworthy bits on the parents’ privilege. I watched it for the dialogue and well, I’m really into Lauren Graham.

Maisel has even better dialogue and the plot and relationships aren’t themselves, embarrassing.

Pretty sure he brought his girlfriend to dinner at his parents’ house, not hers.

She didn’t get back with Joel, but he’s also not a one dimensional character. She’s believably done with him but also believably slightly ambivalent about that choice, particularly given her social constraints. That’s one of the central conflicts of the show–the comedy (which is hilarious) is almost a MacGuffin for commentary about how she’s constrained by her gender and social location, while also slyly pointing out that she has advantages that come from being straight, educated, beautiful, and wealthy. Susie, for instance is none of those things and is constantly at Midge’s mercurial mercy.

What I can’t believe with this show is when they do the long tracking shots on huge, meticulously accurate period sets, like Joel’s father’s factory or the department store. The camera work in this show is gorgeous and must also be hugely expensive. Can’t wait for season 2.

And time period. It’s what 1960 (circa)? Divorces were rare and frowned upon as complete embarrassments to larger families, especially among tight-knit communities that still “clung” to their unique cultural traditions and religion (not guns…its NYC…).

Despite its cheeky modernity, it is a fantastic period piece.

“When I agreed to send you to that fancy goyische college, what was the one thing I told you?”
“They’ll have terrible deli?”
“The important thing I told you.”
“That was about deli, too.”

Life isn’t fair. It’s hard and cruel. You have to pick your friends as if there’s a war going on. You want a husband who’ll take a bullet for you, not one who points to the attic and says “They’re up there.”

It is a romanticized or stylized period piece, I would say, but definitely a great one of those.

The stand-up is the only part that I bump against when I watch the show. Not enough to spoil the experience–it was one of my favorite shows last year–but while confessing to imperfect knowledge of the history of comedy, the kind of stand-up Mrs. Maisel does strikes me as incredibly contemporary in style. But also, it’s often just social commentary masquerading as edgy comedy, and that doesn’t come off as terribly funny, no matter how true it is. (The line about “disappointment and humiliation” in the trailer is an example, although maybe that’s a set up for a further joke.)