The Matrix Awakens - An Unreal Engine 5 Experience

That stuff was really pretty too, but nothing that couldn’t be done on an Xbox One. It’s only when you realize it all happened inside an open world and wasn’t on rails (like the similar sequence in CP2077) that it’s truly impressive.

I mean, it was on rails, it’s just you could leave the rails after the sequence ended (at which point you stopped being able to cause chaos and destruction). To the extent that if you didn’t pull the trigger, it would shoot for you.

Yes, and that could be done 10 years ago because you’re just picking junction points in a movie, it’s that open world that matters.

I think a bunch of folks checking this out on Xbox never played PS5 Spider-Man and don’t really appreciate how good it looks. That said I think Matrix is going for a bit more realism in its aesthetic and has the real time sunlight and some more complex detailed geometry.

Prerendered lighting helps a great deal in Spider-man, but it does aim for a similar aesthetic.

I know everything is a proxy for the console war, but man there were some shots in the UE5 demo where I legitimately couldn’t tell if they had filmed them or not at first glance. I spot checked Spiderman real quick and thought “those are really, really nice videogame graphics.” If you can find a clip on YouTube that’s better than that, I’d love to see it, because I’d love to be blown away this Friday afternoon.

Obviously Epic isn’t changing the laws of physics so their engine isn’t going to be that much more ridiculously better, and a custom experience is going to look better, and… well, I’ve lost track of what we’re fighting about.

The demo was awesome, that’s all I can conclude here.

Any educated guesses on why this isn’t available on PC? Apart from the obvious “didn’t make it in time for deadline”.
Some speculate that it’s because on PC it would be possible to export the scanned actor models and do things with them and stuff, but could that really be it? I mean Keanu is already in Cyberpunk anyway.

Some of the urban environments on the PS5 were pretty damn convincing in Miles Morales. I thing the winter Manhattan setting helped it there.

Definitely. Spider-man did the fake interiors on PS4, too, but on PS5 you get that, plus really nice RT reflections and 60fps. Insomniac’s temporal injection technique also compares really favorably to Epic’s TSR.

Might rely too heavily on the custom I/O stuff from the consoles. MS still hasn’t shipped DirectStorage.

Miles Morales also has foliage which is basically completely absent from this demo. Foliage doesn’t work with Nanite and is a weak point for UE5 right now.

Nah, directstorage is bullshit, must be some other reason.

I tried it out, looks pretty enough and I like the Matrix stuff but seems a little pointless. Guess that’s tech demos for you.

Nextgen games will have lots of tires to shoot.

Seems like if this is running on consoles a top end PC could do the same thing with a game attached :)

The consoles could too. I think Telefrog undersells it. There’s a control scheme, a physics engine, drivable cars with some really good damage modeling, some low level ai on the pedestrians and other cars. It’s a techdemo but it’s not simply a graphics engine with no gameplay systems running under the hood.

This shot I saw on Twitter shows off the car damage pretty well, also note it’s not just cosmetic, you beat up the car you are driving enough it will stop running.

Seems unlikely for several reasons. Primarily I’m guessing it’s more than likely assets could be ripped from a console version somehow too.

But beyond that, what’s the point? If the implication is that the actor models must be protected so aggressively that they can’t risk even releasing the demo on the PC, they’re almost telling people not to use UE5 for their PC games—retail, demo, whatever.

Interesting article, and they may release portions of it you could presumably run in the engine itself, but doesn’t sound like they plan to do the work for a pc release.

From the article:

Loaded it on my son’s PS5. Looks pretty great just running around and causing car accidents. The physics are fluffy. You run into a car and drive right under it upending it, but at least it looks neat.

This demo really makes me appreciate how strong art direction can trump technical wizardry. Miles Morales on PS5 looks loads better than this for that very reason. I understand that this is technically more proficient and is doing some awesome stuff under the hood, but it’s abundantly clear that artistry was not high on their priority list.