The Matrix Reloaded

I haven’t seen this movie yet (probably won’t until at least Sunday) but I read the Ebert review and this guy pretty much sums up my thoughts about the “philosophy” of the first movie (and most likely the second and third as well)…

Commander Lock: “Not everyone believes what you believe.”

Morpheus: “My beliefs do not require that they do.”

Characters are always talking like this in “The Matrix Reloaded,” which plays like a collaboration involving a geek, a comic book and the smartest kid in Philosophy 101. Morpheus in particular unreels extended speeches that remind me of Laurence Olivier’s remarks when he won his honorary Oscar–the speech that had Jon Voight going “God!” on TV, but in print turned out to be quasi-Shakespearean doublespeak. The speeches provide not meaning, but the effect of meaning: It sure sounds like those guys are saying some profound things.

That will not prevent fanboys from analyzing the philosophy of “The Matrix Reloaded” in endless Web postings. Part of the fun is becoming an expert in the deep meaning of shallow pop mythology; there is something refreshingly ironic about becoming an authority on the transient extrusions of mass culture, and Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) now joins Obi-Wan Kenobi as the Plato of our age.

The “effect of meaning”. Heh… I’ll have to remember that one.

The irony is almost suffocating me.

I think I’ll have the effect of a sandwich.

well i’m seeing the 10:30 cst opening show in about hour n half… ill post impressions… and compare to x2… which I thought started out awesome until the last quarter (the dam location areas were dissapointing to me)… not like my opinions mean much!

etc

Got my Fandango.com tickets for the first showing in Sacramento, 10:00PM tonite. You bastards think I made decent excuses for plot holes before? Ho ho! Just you wait until about five hours from now.

Woot!

Ha! Yes. Seen it. Fun. Unsatisfying. You don’t get plot, you feel like Neo kinda confused as to what you’re doing there, until the fighting stops and important characters sit down and have chats I like to call “Where the movie’s going.” Again and again. Fight. Plot through a Q&A session. Fight. Plot through a Q&A session. Good thing it’s fun.

The movie is fun. I’ll definitely agree there. I’ll also agree that it’s somewhat unsatisfying. It has a few ‘wasted’ scenes, but I don’t want to spoil too much. I was really disappointed by the quality of the CG. I’m sure everyone has seen the Neo vs many Agent Smiths part of the trailers. I really don’t feel the trailers come even close to doing justice to the intensity of that scene. Unfortunately though I felt the CG looked REALLY BAD during parts of that. At a point when they have a ton of them on screen they start to look like rubber dummies, the detail is lost. The CG looked a LOT better in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

Likewise the freeway scene had some amazing action, but glaring issues with the CG. Cars just didn’t seem to ‘move’ right when things happened to them, and some vehicles looked…wrong. Trinity zooms by a truck that has no axles - the wheels are just free floating, not connected to the body of the vehicle. Am I being too picky? I don’t know.

I hated the ‘architect’ scene.

Be prepared for a cliffhanger ending if you weren’t already.

The movie was fun. It didn’t make me want to run back into the next showing to see it again like the first one did, but it’s fun, and you’ll see some good action. Try not to be a hype victim and maybe you’ll get more out of it than I did. :)

Also, sit around through the credits and you’ll see a short teaser for Revolutions.

The burly brawl wasn’t flawless, but I was still impressed. I found it hard to believe when I was reading previews and they said things like “And there’s a point at which it all becomes digital, but you’ll never notice it.” It was noticeable when it changes from actors to pixels, but that didn’t stop it from being an impressive scene to me. And there isn’t much in Final Fantasy to compare it with.

I still felt the scene was very impressive. I was just surprised at how ‘obviously’ CG it looked, especially having read the same newsweek preview that you did.

A big WTF?!? with the story of Matrix Reloaded, is this supposed to be like philosophy 101 with causal choice whatever (huh?)? It sorta reminded me of like a Brazil movie meets Anime meets comic book meets sci fi mad max (the human city)… bah whatever its message is muddled imo (though with revolution, maybe itll make sense?!?). Action scenes are cool, though ultimately a bit too CG and calculated. Best one imo is the one in the city playground, it builds up awesome.

I don’t know but after watching X2 and Matrix Reloaded today (double feature Wednesday for me!) I’m kind of feeling dry with these action scenes, they just dont build up dramatically, they are so episodic like “LOOK HOW COOL THIS SCENE IS!” And they are cool but they feel so mechanical. I think its mostly with the sort of dry dialogue in the movies. In Matrix I really really felt the characters were so damn… robotic… hey maybe its intentional! Theses movies are so self serious, X2 a little less with the racial/mutant/homosexual undertones (theres some funny moments), but Matrix needed to take it down a notch with the Akira/2001 like “IT HAS BEGUN!/ENDED!/PROPHECY!/YOU HAVE A CHOICE!” shit.

yeah yeah, matrix is worth watching, but ultimately i am dissapointed.

etc

SPOILERS

Could there be a worse opening 30 minutes on film? I guess its possible, but there was a part of me that wanted to walk out during the rave/sex scene. God, what a waste of celluloid.

I was profoundly disappointed with the Matrix Reloaded. It feels to me like they took a cool concept and pissed all over it, calling it rain. PLEASE. Enough with the philosophy class, enough with the 10 minute scenes that could be wrapped up in two.

The action scenes were ok, I guess. I felt the “Burly Brawl” was particularly underwhelming. The scene with all the swords and weapons, though, was very cool. The whole Freeway chase seemed a little artificial but it was fun. I thought that would be right near the end of the movie. Little did I know there was another 30 minutes after that.

Even if this movie is just a bridge to get to the last one, and even if the last one is good (which I am now very much in doubt), a movie should stand on its own. It shouldn’t be two hours of boredom with about 15 minutes of superficial excitement.

The Wachowski borthers have made a big deal about how they are expanding into multiple mediums (the animatrix, enter the matrix, etc) to flesh out the story. A lot of this stuff could have been handled outside of the movie for those who were true die hards.

And we didn’t need to be nailed in the head with the anti-war message at the end. WE GET IT, WAR IS BAD. Except when you’re fighting machines or “programs,” I guess. Then it’s ok. Even Cornell West would agree.

MORE SPOILERS
"Could there be a worse opening 30 minutes on film? I guess its possible, but there was a part of me that wanted to walk out during the rave/sex scene. God, what a waste of celluloid. "

yeah it was pretty bad… its not that it wasnt done well but that it just, imo, doesn’t fit with the theme of the movie … it almost reminded me of something out of Waterworld, some bad ruffled potato bag outifts and people jumping around in sweat with boobs flailing around all in the name of Bennetton colored unity! Then there was that third world area/level where they go to Neo like he was Jesus (please look at my ailing son Neo) … OMG it was worse than some of the scenes in Pearl Harbor. please, dont tell just show… can they be a bit more subtle in the NEO-MESSIAH references? oh wait maybe hes supposed to represent the Ubermench literally, the guy flies like Superman in the comics… which actually WAS COOL… but again whats the friggin point?!?

the way the plot jumps around… especially from the expressway to some reactor exploding and then the last sequence in the main building… WTF? could they have written a MORE confusing way to get from point A to point B? then the romantic choice… uhm, that main program guy speech was so damn confusing… uhm like “is the Zion reality another matrix” ending? WTF ?!? and Neo emits some electric shit from his hands to repulse the spidery senteinels? COOL ITS ANOTHER MATRIX!!! whatever!

I’m listening to some Chicago radio talk show now, and some callers have been equating Matrix Reloaded to the recent Star Wars sequels, kinda hohum… I’d have to say I kind of agree…

X2 is definitely more of a complete movie… even then that movie had some problems too (an anti-climactic sequence in the dam location).

So far neither of these can touch THE TWO TOWERS!!! HAHA JACKSON ROCKS! imo…

etc

MINOR SPOILERS

I stole it from the Something Awful forums:
“What if there were a cake that made you orgasm? Isn’t that worth fighting for? Isn’t that worth dying for?”

spoilers again
yeah another WTF?!? with that cake scene. so like this lady eats a cake that some french program makes her go apeshit orgasmic over… its cause and effect. WOW! I was expecting some cool sex… instead we get some green code of her crotch exploding in digits … damn thats clever…
WOW!

This is the worst hyped movie ever now that i think about it… it sucks. Its like meltdown meltdown, this movie sucks. - sniiff - it could have been so cool if the Wacho bros. had there shit together… they turned into George Lucas before finishing there first trilogy… its sad.

etc

NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY SPOIL THIS MOVIE…IT COMES PRE-SPOILED
That rave/sex sequence was terrible. I was looking at my watch the whole damn time. I felt like I was in some kind of techno-sex nightmare where I was playing “where’s Waldo” but with boobs.

There were a LOT more women in the theatre than I can possibly account for. I don’t understand it. Maybe the sex scene was for them.

Also…Monica Belluci = teh overrated.

Also also…cakegasm scene = teh sux0rz.

It was terrible but I liked it anyway. Oh well.

SO we have now all learned that “Zion” is the sixth iteration of a bunch of tribal philosophers who dance to gutteral percussion music beat over tautly drawn animal skin drums while also contemplating existance and the notion of free will.

And what the fuck with Neo zapping Squiggies in the real world? <sigh>

Who says it’s the real world?

The only thing I really have to say about the movie is that it’s a good 90 minute movie mired in the rotting corpse of a 2.5 hour movie.

I can’t wait for the DVD to come out so I can watch the fight scenes over and over again, though.

And what the fuck with Neo zapping Squiggies in the real world?

There is bleedover from the Matrix back into the real world. Example. The Neo dream sequence where Smith subsumes someone in the matrix, then picks up the telephone and is transported. Also, that creepy human guy who tries to stab Neo is probably a human image of Agent Smith. Didn’t he look like a dead ringer for Smith with a goatee and tribal rags? And then the movie ends with them in the same room. Coincidence?

SO we have now all learned that “Zion” is the sixth iteration of a bunch of tribal philosophers who dance to gutteral percussion music beat over tautly drawn animal skin drums while also contemplating existance and the notion of free will.

Where’s Waldo with boobs is so dead on. Still, I thought the purpose of the tribal rave scene and the Neo/Trinity fuckin’ was to show how gritty, sweaty, and dirty life is in Zion. That’s human and real. That’s juxtaposed with the antiseptic green-tinted Matrix scenes, which are somehow hyper-real yet not real at all. Nobody sweats or fucks in the Matrix. But yeah, this scene could have been shortened or cut without really hurting anything, I’ll agree with that. I liked it, but then who doesn’t love boobs, sweat, dirt, and fucking, all set to a funky beat?

sixth iteration

In the first movie, Neo talked about a man who was able to control things in the Matrix and who was the first to save the original inhabitants of Zion. He said that man prophesized that he would return again to free his people… kinda neat how that story turns around and plays into this one.

I liked Matrix Reloaded. It’s not Citizen Kane, but neither was the first one. I was surprised how well it fit with the original movie thematically and in tone. I’d say it’s about 10 percent longer than it should be-- some of the philosophizing goes on too long-- but it’s everything I wanted out of the sequel.* If the Matrix was this generation’s Star Wars, Matrix Reloaded is this generation’s Empire Strikes Back. You could do a lot worse.

• plus boobs.

Also, to anyone who equates Matrix Reloaded to the ass-gasm that was Star Wars Episode I or II, allow me to quote from the canon of Tom Chick:

You are wrong.

I consider Episode I and II among some of the worst movies I have ever seen. Whatever your feelings on Reloaded, it’s not even close to being as bad as those bottom of the barrel trainwrecks were.

p.s. Fuck Star Wars.

Evidently there’s a trailer for the third movie after the credits. Here’s the MPEG version:
http://www.empiremovies.com/movies/matrix/revolutions.shtml