The Matrix Reloaded

Actually, what you’ve linked to there is a trailer revealed at the end of the Enter The Matrix game. There is in fact a trailer at the end of Reloaded, but it’s not the same one (though it shares some scenes).

QUESTION ABOUT THE BLACK SKY:
why did the humans create the black sky? was it so that the machines couldn’t use the sun for solar energy by drowning it though the black sky?? (They didnt explain it in the Animatrix)

Yeah. I think they Explained this in Matrix 1.

I loved Reloaded. It’s pretty much everything I could want in the sequal to the Matrix, and I’m definetly going to see it again. I loved the action, I loved the plot details, and I loved the Architect. Ironically, I left the theater during the sex scene and most of the rave scene (because they left the lights on in projector booth and ruined the movie experience even after I asked the manager to turn them off 3 times; I encourage everyone here in Louisville, KY to never go to Stonybrook Cinemas Louisville again), but the bit of rave scene I saw reminded me of Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. And I’m willing to bet that scene will feel just as dated and hokey as Thunderdome in 5 years.

Given the nature of the implants and the Matrix, I’m OK with the idea of subsuming personalities, including that one guy obviously intending to kill Neo. It is reasonably plausible, given the world of the movie. This, however, is wholly unlike Neo shooting a fucking eletric force field out and wiping out a wave of squiggies in the real world.

I don’t remember seeing boobs by the way. The sweaty gritty sex scene didn’t expose much more than ass that I can recall.

Yes. Per Morpheus in the first movie, humans “scorched the skies” to prevent the machines from using their solar energy source. In response, the machines built human battery fields and the Matrix.

This, however, is wholly unlike Neo shooting a fucking eletric force field out and wiping out a wave of squiggies in the real world.

Either Neo just figured out that the “real world” is another matrix, or Neo himself is a program, very much like Agent Smith. I lean towards the latter, because of all the creepy Smith coincidences throughout the movie, and because there appears to be some kind of big showdown between them in the trailer for Matrix Revolutions.

I don’t remember seeing boobs by the way.

You didn’t see the boobs in the tribal rave scene? You might consider a visit to your local optometrist. That, or else you’ve been hanging out with Bruce Geryk too much.

The movie is a bunch of dime store philosophy hokum, of course, but it’s still a layer of complexity that doesn’t exist in a lot of other action movies.

Example. The topic of free will and choice keeps coming up. Evidently, the choice between Zion and The Matrix is a false choice. Zion exists to give people “choice” and remove the dissenters from the Matrix, but every 100 years they cleanse Zion and start over, hence Six Neos. So in reality Zion exists as a pressure release valve for the Matrix; like the machines and the humans they need each other (thus that boring diatribe at the engineering level). But just because you’ve chosen Zion doesn’t mean you’ve escaped the matrix. That’s why Morpheus “loses his religion” at the end of the movie. There is no real escape-- it’s all planned. Like the french guy said.

I thought the rave scene went on too long (although the breasts lessened the pain), but otherwise I thought the movie was entertaining. Plot holes, bah! I don’t go to a Matrix movie to analyze plot consistency. I do complain about pseudo-science, but once you get over the whole “physics don’t apply” premise, it’s all just fine.

Just for a head trip, imagine the rave scene with the yub-yub music from the end of Return of the Jedi. (FSW!)

• Alan

I do think the Wachowski brothers deserve credit with infusing some philosophy into an action flick… but how different is it compared to say something like Existenz or Dark City? My only problem with all the philosophical mumbo jumbo is that it detracts from the narrative of the film. The first Matrix its all presented dramatically … especially with the waking up in womb pod scene after taking the pill. I REALLY like the idea of a Zion reality thats, again, not a reality but a machine construct… but ultimately its presented kind of flat.

And then there are so many inconsistences with the logic in the movie. For instance at the end of Matrix you get the gist that Neo is Superman and can do anything in The MAtrix, but besides flying faster than a speeding bullet, he really can’t do shit in Matrix Reloaded. Its kind of annoying… because If hes such an ubermensch in the Matrix why not just explode every damn program that opposes him?!? At least give us some good fights against badass enemies… just something more (I did love the 100+ Agent Smith battle). BTW, why didn’t they show Zion being destroyed? I guess in the sequel…

Maybe Revolution will give more depth to Reloaded since essentially they’re one four hour movie.

Basically I liked the movie but I don’t know… I’ll have to see it again. I did like the architect seen but wasn’t expecting it, and I was paying too much attention to the Max Headroom Neo’s in the background… thus alot of what the program said went past me…something about Version 6 of the Matrix etc etc maybe they should have a patch for Neo/Zion whatever!!! Kinda gave me an impression of The Matrix of an mmorpg. weird.

etc

This happend to me and my wife at one of the Star Wars movies at the local theater here. My wife marched up to the manager after the show and demanded compensation for the show. He tried to play dumb, but she dragged him into the theater, and the lamp was still on. He gave us two free passes. I was so proud of her.

SPOILERS

Well, I liked more than I disliked, so it was worth the cost of the matinee. I think what hurts it most is the cliff hanger. In that respect, it’s a lot like Two Towers or Fellowship. The Star Wars movies are better at telling a tale the requires more than one movie. I like to feel like I’ve seen a complete movie when the lights go up, but I especially didn’t get that here.

I also wished I had seen the original prior to going to see this. There were a lot of details that I coudln’t make sense of. Who was the person that came running up to Neo when his ship first landed at the begining of the movie? What was the gift of the spoon about? For a few minutes there I thought I was going to get hopelessly confused, but you don’t need to be a devot fan of the first to get the picture. I did wonder if something from the first movie would have informed Neo zapping those spider things in the end, but from readin this thread it seems as if that’s not been explained to anyone yet.

I liked how they fleshed out the matrix. The two vampires as Mr Frenchy’s henchmen from way back was cool. The vampires watching a cheesy horror movie was nice. There was also the comment about the Matrix being really old. Maybe that means we’re going to find out in the next one that most of recorded history has just been the Matrix all along, and Jesus Christ was just Neo 1.0. It’ll be interesting to see where they take this. I’m down for the next one!

SPOILERS, etc:

I think part of the point of the (second) movie is that the whole thing about him being the ‘one’ is all just part of the plan, just as Zion exists as part of the design of the Matrix (if the Architect is to be believed). Presumably he has whatever powers are necessary to fulfill the (constructed) prophecy thing. Also an interesting take on the free-will thing, about whether there really is choice or not. It’s a big paradox, since Zion is not needed if there really is no free-will.

No idea what’s up with speed-boy zapping squiddies at the end, but I could buy into the whole “his personality is a contruct” (like the Smith personality entering a corporeal body) thing. Meh, it doesn’t matter what I think, I’m sure the third movie will take care of the hand-waving for me.

• Alan

The kid that comes running up to Neo wasn’t explained in the first movie, but actually in one of Animatrix shorts that’ll be released on DVD soon. It’s not one of the free downloads, except that on the internet everything’s a free download if you know where to look.

In the first movie when Neo visits the Oracle, he waits his turn in a room filled with little kids doing weird things: levitating blocks, bending spoons. I forget the exact exchange of dialog, but the child tells Neo that the reason the spoon can be bent is that “There is no spoon.”

While I’m getting informative, the Enter The Matrix game does provide more plot details. Commander Lock, the guy who stole away Niobe from Morpheous, he convinces the council in his proposal that all the ships be used in the EMP counter-attack that it should be all ships except the Logos (Niobe’s ship), saying it’s too small and ineffective. He tells her this, obviously he’s just trying to keep her safe, but as a captain she resents it. This clearly fuels her decision to “defy” him as seen in the movie when she volunteers to be the second ship to go looking for Morpheous.

Not as relevant to the plot, but arguably more interesting was another scene in the game. After the meeting in the sewers early in the movie when Morpheous asks that a ship be left behind to wait for word from the Oracle, Niobe and Ghost get stuck in the sewer fleeing FBI and Agents and are rescued at the last moment when the keymaker shows up. He takes them back to the Chateau, they’re separated, and Niobe runs across Persephone. Persephone offers to tell Niobe how to save Ghost, but just like with Neo in the movie, Niobe has to kiss Persephone as she would kiss the one she loves. So there we have it, in the middle of a video game but real live actors in a filmed cut scene, Niobe and Persephone kiss twice (just like Neo, once hesitantly then not so). I thought it was an odd choice that this more risque scene ended up in the game. Persephone asks who it is Niobe loves, she flatly responds Commander Lock, and Persephone says “No, it’s not him” as Niobe leaves, so there’s more evidence that it’s not over between Morpheous and Niobe.

The Matrix was a passable execution of a great idea with cutting edge special effects and holes the size of Bolivia in the plot.

Reloaded is more of the same, except there aren’t any ideas (or there’s too many half-baked ones…impossible to say which), the special effects are slightly less groundbreaking, and the holes in the plot have stretched in the laundry until they are now the size of the entire South American continent.

Mostly I was bored. I have rarely felt as bored in a movie as I did in this one. The fact that it was loud and expensive did nothing to relieve the tedium of watching Keenu Reeves do “fights” in the style of Broadway Musicals (“and a-one, and-a-two, and-a-three, and flip…”), green oriental fonts flicker on the screen, and the occasional sophmoric, confused philosophical ramblings of futuristic refugees with a peculiar Viking-like fashion sensibility. (There’s nothing nearly as canny in this one as “there is no spoon,” sad to say…)

It wasn’t bad enough to sicken me, make me snicker at it, or walk out; it was just bad enough that I sat there bored. They spent a lot of money to bore me for two hours.

Of course some of the special effects-driven action scenes were invigorating, but no more so than watching somebody play Burnout on the Gamecube. (That whole freeway sequence was so reminiscent of “crash mode” that I started wondering if there was some actual connection, though the timing seems all wrong.)

For me the most interesting things about the movie were the ways that it (possibly inadvertantly) echoed the political overtones of the (exceedingly ugly) past 18 months. Morpheus’ speech to the, uh, rave crowd (was that supposed to be their version of “church”?) sounded like Dubya, spewing jingoistic, fist-clenching paeans to God-ordained military success. The whole Zion underground – killing security guards at checkpoints, blowing up a (nuclear?) power plant, blowing up a skyscraper – is pure terrorism if you don’t accept their premise, that materialist “reality” is a devilish ruse, that a prophecy has been made and that it’s worth dying (and more importantly, killing) for to make sure it comes true. The worldview, ultimately, is identical to the one that supplies bodies for suicide bombs and other assorted atrocities. Thanks, Osama Bin Morpheus! :D

I love this forum’s views on movies sometimes. Really, I do.

Perhaps you folks should go back to being raving political lunatics as opposed to raving movie-going lunatics, then you might actually have a clue. Jason (not McMaster) is the sanest one in this thread, mainly because he hasn’t posted in it. It’s a movie, for fuck’s sake.

Read: It’s an action movie. Plot-holes are part of action movies. Political overtones should not be used as an excuse to dislike an action movie. Especially not a sci-fi/cyberpunk action movie. If so, you should discount Dune, Blade Runner, et al from being considered classics.

I actually agree with wumpus. It’s scary, but I do.

To everyone who’s going into socio-movie-political-motivational-rant-screed-things: Get a god damn fucking hell of a life and move on. It’s a movie. An action movie. From Warner Bros. This isn’t fucking Who Framed Roger Rabbit? or Citizen Kane. It’s the god damned Matrix and should be treated as such. Get over it, you elitist sons of bitches.

If you ever get around to getting your GED, there’s probably a reading comprehension section. If you manage to make it through that difficult part of your life you might figure out that what I clearly stated is that I didn’t like the movie because it was boring, not because of its political overtones. The political overtones, though they might be troubling, were, as I wrote, the only thing about the movie that were particularly interesting. (That’s what it means when I say “the most interesting thing about the movie”: that that was the most interesting thing about the movie. I realize that’s a little complicated for a juvenline deliquent like yourself to comprehend, so there it is in plain English…again.)

It really demonstrates a vast cultural ignorance to state that sci-fi movies shouldn’t be interpreted politically. Sci-fi is probably the most political genre, and Blade Runner, of all examples that you could have fished out, is one of the most political sci-fi movies ever. (But they’re all so political, from Starship Troopers to Total Recall to Running Man to 2001: A Space Odyssey to Soylent Green, that making that distinction is just a matter of degrees).

BTW, why didn’t they show Zion being destroyed? I guess in the sequel…

I got the impression that Zion wasn’t destroyed yet. The ships were supposed to ambush the machines at a few points along the way. One of these points was a conduit that the machines were going to try to occupy to prevent escape. The battle they are talking about is the battle to ambush the machines at the conduit.

However, this conduit was going to be their make or break battle, apparently. They already know they can’t win once the machines break into the city, so they were hoping to use ambushes and gorilla tactics to stop them before arriving.

But, I could be wrong on my interpretation.

I enjoyed the movie a heck of a lot. The rave scene was silly, and Morpheus should stick to giving deep quiet speeches instead of booming room filling speeches. I was rather disappointed by the film though, mostly because it lost a lot of the character of the first Matrix. There was no feeling of speed and super human ability really. There were no scenes like the begining of The Matrix, or the scene where they rescue Morpheus from the agents. That feeling of “damn, these people are good… mere mortals could never do anything to stop them”. Instead, I came away thinking “well… he can fight at least, but he seems to have slowed down”.

I wanted to see Neo dominate something. Like the end of the first Matrix. Those couple of agents who show up at the meeting… he should have just reached into each of them and disrupted their coding. Something that gave us a sense that he’s “The One”. We saw what he can do to an agent, so why didn’t he do any of that in this movie?

Oh well, I’m still seeing it again this Sunday with a few friends. My wife loved the movie and thinks it was better than the first one (note to wife: you’re high), so she’s coming along as well.

didn’t like the movie because it was boring,

Yeah, let’s stick to exciting movies, like Bridges of Madison County. Or my personal favorite, Bridges of Madison County II: The Revenge.

Thus the grunting, hooting, and hopping about in the rave scene. :wink:

Thus the grunting, hooting, and hopping about in the rave scene. :wink:[/quote]

and hurling of feces, of course.

Liked it overall. Although they sort of dump allot on you. In their quest to top the first the movie action-wise it has the now standard “assault on the senses” effect of modern CGI effects laden movies. The rave scene wass silly and made no sense. Maybe all the philisophical stuff will make more sense seein git again. The freeway chase was awsome.

I’ll end up seeing it a couple more times so maybe it will grow more on me.

True that, Jason. The freeway scene was effin’ incredible, from start to finish.