The Meg - Statham and Dwight fight a giant shark

How is this not a Syfy movie?

Oh man, I really want to see that. Not really sure why, but it speaks to me.

It’s like Jaws, but bad. And, yeah, @Telefrog nails it with the SciFi comp.

Nah, the CGI is way higher quality than Syfy, if nothing else. To me looks like a B movie with a budget, like Independence Day or World War Z. As to whether or not it’s bad, well, you’re either into this sort of thing or you’re not. Good and bad don’t enter into it.

I am seeing the hell out of this.

I still like how this is based on the book that I think basically popularized Megalodon but they took forever to do the movie and there have been like 200 media using Megalodon as the main monster since. Including 50 Syfy movies. And that’s to say nothing of all the ridiculous Shark stuff in that period (Sharknado, Sharktopus, etc).

Why do the sharks always need to be the villian?

I bet The Donald will love this movie!

As someone that gets creeped out by giant sea monsters, this is tickling the part of me that likes scary monster movies quite a lot. I’ll definitely watch this, but probably not like in IMAX. Or with headphones on.

It surprised even me, but I really liked that trailer!

And tonight I’ll play Subnautica, because now I just have to. ;)

I hope the finale includes Turkish beating up that giant shark with his fists.

Why are they killing it? I’ll be rooting for the shark. “Leave Megalodon alone!”

For real though, I thought movie making had evolved past killing endangered or nearly extinct animals (except on the Syfilis channel).

Also, how did they get my Subnautica base in the movie?

Really. They find an animal thought to be extinct for 200 million years and may be the only one left of it’s kind and they want to kill it.

It’s interesting that they just found out that sharks are extremely long lived. I think they found a greenland shark recently they think may be over 500 years old. That’s crazy.

Of course there is the occasional sighting or finding that makes it seem possible (see below). It’s interesting that the two sightings mentioned below were 50 years apart and yet both report a huge shark that’s totally white in color and both sightings were in the same area (great barrier reef). It makes you wonder if it’s the same shark.

There are a handful of well-documented pieces of evidence and testimony that suggest Megalodon is still alive. Here are a few of the more well-known stories below.

Huge Teeth Found by HMS Challenger: In 1875, two Megalodon teeth were dredged up during a deep-sea expedition by the HMS Challenger, dated only 10,000 - 15,000 years old. If the methods used were accurate, this would mean it went extinct much more recently than previously believed, and make it a contemporary of modern humans. Ten thousand years is only a blink of an eye in the world of paleontology. It does not take a great imagination to think the Megalodon shark may have survived the past 10,000 years undetected in the depths of the oceans.

Fishermen Terrified by Giant Shark: In 1918 an Australian naturalist named David Stead recorded events when local fisherman refused to go back out to sea after an unbelievably massive shark had demolished their gear and taken their catch. These were experienced men of the sea, familiar with whales and large sharks, but whatever they had seen had frightened them so much that they refused to work. According to Stead, they described it as between 35 and 90 meters long and pure white in color. These proportions seem unbelievable. Could a shark really grow to that size? Were these men exaggerating? Or, were they just confused?

Massive Shark Threatens 55-Foot Fishing Boat: In the 1960s, the captain of a 55-foot fishing ship reported that a white shark at least as long as the boat passed by while they sat at anchor. The crew refused to officially discuss the sighting, but the Captain gave his account. An experienced sailor, the Captain would have been able to recognize a whale if that is what it had been, but he claimed it was indeed a giant shark. Are stories such as this one based on real encounters, or are they just products of the imaginations of sailors who have been at sea too long?

That’s a pretty big if. As far as I’m aware, accurate absolute dating methods didn’t exist until the 20th century. It was mostly relative dating based on stratigraphy, which is obviously useless if you’re just pulling up a tooth from the sea floor. This link discusses the apparent source of the claim. As you might expect, it doesn’t stand up.

It’s the only way to be sure.

…but yeah, the trailer does exhibit a certain je ne sais quois.

edit: I know this will not ever happen, but I also just feel my life would be complete if I got to see Jason Statham vertical-punch a shark.

How about no thank you. The universe of Alien (at the time) was large enough to presumably have plenty of other lifeforms on plenty of other planets (see: bug-hunts). And the Aliens on this planet were, at best, an invasive species. And since it’s one that kind of appears to kill the hell out of everything in its path, I see no problem with attempting to obliterate it. An argument to keep a one of a kind beast alive (Meg) is different. Though I lean a little towards the ‘kill the giant eating machine that devours hundreds of humans for brunch’ side of the ledger.

BuenosAires

I bet Statham gets electrocuted and goes into his Kaiju form to fight the Meg mano-a-sharko.

This is a fun tangent, so I have to add - this doesn’t make a lot of sense. The “hold” or whatever it was in the space jockey’s ship was absolutely full of eggs. Is the idea that an alien laid all those eggs after impregnating the space jockey? Because I always got the impression that it was taking them somewhere but one got away from him, or something like that.

Digging the tangent as well.

While I think Burke was such a corporate-man cliche it was the only thing annoying about the film, I don’t find his argument of ‘no right to kill a species’ persuasive due to 1. death-bugs on a rampage and B. it didn’t come across as sincere. And while I think you’re argument is reasonable and sincere, I don’t find it convincing in the face of a species that is such a total threat to any other life-forms.

The idea the the Meg shouldn’t be killed is a stronger argument but unless you have a way of safely keeping a 100 foot shark from killing people and destroying ships (seems like the shark is into this sort of thing based on the trailer) I don’t see another option. Perhaps tagging and tracking, but even that seems like a stop-gap at best.