The Men Who Stare At Goats

This looks great. Anytime Jeff Bridges gets within radar distance of playing a Dude character, I’m watching.

You don’t fuck with The Dude.

The trailer kind of sucked. “I sought out a story, but he gave me an adventure.”* WTF is that? Stand By Me shit in a trailer about wannabe psychic loons? Bleh.

*Paraphrased.

Fixed.

You don’t think the earnestness of his character maaaay be a bit tongue-in-cheek?

Dunno, the trailer felt like it meant it…

Good on Ewan McGregor for having a sense of humor about the Jedi thing.

Ewan’s in it? Fuck, don’t tell my wife otherwise I’ll be forced to see it regardless of how it turns out.

Yeah, you’re right. The trailer sounded serious.

Looks promising, but that Boston tune just seems incongruous. Although I’m sure it’s not quite as prominent in the film itself.

I don’t think Jeff Bridges’ pigtail is Army-regulation.

Trailer music usually has absolutely nothing to do with what appears in the film.

I hear it’s an all Boston sound track.

I’m well aware of that. But trailer music does affect my initial perception of the film, to a small degree. Until I’ve seen it, anyway.

That reminds me, I’m still irritated that “Ceremony” by New Order didn’t actually appear in The Life Aquatic.

Ahhhh yeah, just got the confirmation email from the Toronto Film festival people. My ticket for this movie is waiting for pickup as of tomorrow and its showing next week.

How’d you get confirmation a day early?

Heh, you know, I’ve been going to this thing for 4 years and either they didn’t do it before or I didn’t notice but I got sent an email today confirming the movie picks that I made (I got 9 of my 10 first choices). I missed out on Harry Brown, a new Michael Caine movie that sounded good. However, I managed to get my ticket to this one and Up in the Air, Jason Reitman’s new movie with Clooney.

Oh, I just got my mail! Nice to get it in advance so that I don’t have to scramble to find out tomorrow at 7 a.m.

Bruce Geryk and I did pretty well - we got 26 of the 30 tickets we wanted, so we only missed 2 movies – which isn’t bad considering we did pretty poorly in the processing lottery (we were the 49th out of 56 boxes to be processed). Unfortunately, this is one of the two movies we didn’t get.

I don’t recognize what the other one was off-hand – but I’m really happy we got the ones I really wanted, like the Road!

Edit - oh, the other one we didn’t get was the Coen Brothers’, A Serious Man. Ah well.

What are you talking about? They drew box 48 I thought… so you’d be almost first in line.