The Mist - Stephen King's deadly fog on Spike

Yeah, if it’s not the monsters, I’m out. I was really looking forward to a lengthier exploration of one my favorite King scenarios — and he’s so damned good at coming up with interesting horror situations, even if he’s less skilled at resolving them.

Half-life was obviously inspired by the Mist, and there were aspects of the Dark Tower series that revealed small details on the monsters that existed in the voids between realities/dimensions – that’s what I want this series to explore.

Heh, agree. Or just a movie that’s grounded enough that when people get caught in situations that would likely lead to their death, they likely die. Tired of every action movie essentially turning into a superhero movie given the improbable abilities and improbably luck of characters – reckless actions should have consequences that are generally as negative as reality would impose. It makes survival situations far more interesting to consider and to relate to, instead of turning all of those movie situations into empowerment fantasies.

Both good examples. Also Psycho, of course, which Scream was imitating with the Barrymore character, but it was even more interesting given the time spent revealing aspects of her character and the caper she had pulled, etc.

A goofier example would be Samuel Jackson in Deep Blue Sea. Maybe also the Rock in DOOM.

No, he was essentially completely unknown at the time. As you can see from the official trailer:

he was very much a background figure.

Cross-posting from the Shanarra TV show thread, but SPIKE is becoming The Paramount Network in 2018.

Now this looks more like The Mist.

Okay. I’m in.

Still skeptical. No interest in a show on creepy people being cruel to each other, with a lot of stock horror cliches. The Mist is a monster survival story - there have to be monsters, and a lot of them (which budgets probably prohibit). This looks poorly written and stupid.

I have to agree with @Desslock, I’m not at all interested in people having horrific hallucinations and going all psycho on one another as the basis for this show. The Crazies (with Timothy Olyphant) did that far better than a Spike TV show is ever going to achieve. I need multiple kinds of inter-dimensional monsters in the Mist, and townspeople devising clever ways of figuring out what the monsters can do and how to fight them and eventually stop the source of the Mist, or I’m out.

Which means I’m out.

This is really bad, it has terrible stereotypes and stupid moral agendas. The only character I ‘care’ about after the first episode is the soldier. And that’s because they don’t have a backstory that seems tacked on from an afterschool special.

spoilers - if they have the twist of the bisexual teen as the rapist instead of the quarterback… its pretty obvious AND DUMB. this whole thing is bad drama. Yes, Stephen King did the ‘the humans are the monsters’ trope in the novella but this is worse than a soap opera. Feel bad for the actors… they all seem like they could find better work.

I just wanted to see cool cthulu like extradimensional monsters with some awesome thrills… guess I’ll have to wait for Stranger Things 2.

Deleted this from the DVR, read a few reviews of the episodes so far, and it seems horrible.

So are there actually any monsters in the mist?

A little.

[spoiler]A car crashed into something that was not fully revealed but looked reptilian. We saw a bug fly into a guy’s ear and within 60 seconds the guy was sprouting wings, dying, and having a bunch of bugs fly out of his mouth.

Oh, and there’s some kind of ghost that people see. A woman saw her dead mother but someone else saw the dead mother too, so I don’t know what that means.[/spoiler]

OK, thanks. Doesn’t sound like they’re doing enough creepy Mist monster stuff to hold my attention. I know the point of the original story was that humans are worse than the monsters, but that doesn’t mean I want to watch a show about humans instead of monsters. =)

Yeah, well…

Good. It was awful.

Ha ha, you guys watched The Mist?

There was a really gruesome kill in an early episode where someone jaw got ripped off, I think? That’s all I remember, except that everything else seemed really dumb. Apparently I didn’t miss anything.

-Tom

I didn’t make it past the 1st episode! :D

With an upended sleep schedule, I’ve been watching The Mist (it helped that last night I didn’t want to watch Sabrina at 2am while I was too exhausted to sleep). Or really having it play while I gamed or cruised the dark web, or did other things while being cursed and unable to sleep.

This is show is nonsensical garbage.

It would be hilarious if this got Darabonted and while the dad was fantasy torturring the weird !gay kid his wife and daughter got killed.