The most disappointing games of 2015

XCX is not a limited release. XC was, but it also came out on 3DS for anyone who wants it. It even got a few reprints on Wii.

Your disappointment with Disney Infinity has saved me _so much money_.

My work here is done! /rides off into sunset

Unfortunately, while JC2 ran like a dream, JC3 loses framerate progressively until it's a laggy nightmare less than an hour into a session, for me. It seems like it might be a memory leak, and I've read that AMD drivers in particular have been an issue for it, which is alas my brand, for now. So -that- is certainly disappointing...

I agree with everything in this comment thread and will subscribe to all of your newsletters.

I wish #7 weren't true. Watching the RTS genre fade away has been a sad affair.

Typo:
"melliflous"

I'll be that guy who doesn't get the controversy surrounding Just Cause 3. It sounds like JC2 with more gated content.

And I'm not sure why JC2 is somehow not a good game anymore. What has surpassed it, in terms of pacing and creative gameplay opportunities?

Saints Row 4 could have surpassed it, but kicked itself in the nuts by gating the content behind a bunch of overlong and gimmicky story missions (akward progression, as in JC3).

GTA 5 I can't bring myself to play, because I could never grok the other 4 GTAs. I'm a gameplay-first kinda gamer, and I honestly don't care how well the story is told if I have to grind through a mediocre action game to experience it.

Arkham City is awesome, but even that doesn't have the versatility and vastness of JC2.

Skyrim is a personal fave, but even that suffers for the same reason Fallout 3 does. It's a beautiful janky mess that compels me despite its jankiness. It won't take 5 years for me to recognize its flaws, because they were pretty much apparent in 5 hours. Compared, again, to the pacing and traversal options in JC2, it doesn't compare.

I reserve judgment on MGS5. It's probably legit. If I can skip the story. Because even Saints Row 4 had the audacity to steal my joy, just to make me sit through it's story.

Putting Rise of the Tomb Raider here seems unfair to me. Since when has a console's "irrelevance" kept you from praising games like Xenoblade Chronicle (Wii) and Cladun (PSP download-only title)?

If you can't play the game because you don't have the console, that's fine. But bashing a game based on the size of its console userbase seems petty.

I hope no one thinks I'm bashing Rise of the Tomb Raider, because I've heard it's pretty good. Which makes its Xbox One exclusivity all the more disappointing.

Less than a month until it's released from obscurity!